Camp Roy C. Manchester in 2005 ?

I have friends in Shawnee Trails and have been told that Camp RCM is still up and running. I think the plan was for the Council to has some timber harvested from one of their other camps to help with the finances. But as far as I know RCM will be open in 2005.

side note. I grew up at RCM. When I first went to camp there it was know as Four Rivers Scout Reservation. I think they change the name of the camp in 1979-80. I was a staff member in 1881 82 and 84.

Thanks for the info Purcelce......I'm trying to interest a few older Scouts into the great sailing HA program RCM has offered in the past.

Btw- We were neighbors in 81-84 when I had a lake cabin on Jonathon Creek- Kentucky Lake only 2 miles from RCM Campsites. That was 1981, not 1881, I'm assuming !!

Hmmmm, it could have been 1881 -- with purcelce its difficult to say, uh cuz he, uh looks so young of course. ;)

I had heard that Manchester lost their lease - glad to hear that is apparently not the case. Our troop did the high adventure sailing back in 2003 and we had a great time. If you go make sure you bring some time of water shoes. Youll be wading to/from the boats at least twice per day and the bottom is covered in rocks -- generally not of the smooth variety.

Camp Roy C. Manchester WILL BE OPEN FOR 2005.

The 2005 camp season is going to include some major changes to the camp program. I personally think those changes will bring about a great improvement in the experience for the campers.

Among the changes being worked on are block scheduling of merit badge classes. Instead of going to each class every day, you will go to half the classes on Monday and Tuesday, and the other half on Thursday and Friday.

Wednesday will be a very different program from that of the past. It will be dedicated to camp wide games, patrol competitions, special field trips, a variety of fun activities, chapel services, and will be capped off with the parents night campfire.

The new leaders guide should be available very soon. I will see if I can find it posted some place.

I personally I am going to suggest that my troop go to Roy C this year. I know I will be back for a second year of staff this coming summer, though we still haven't sorted out in what position.

As far as the financial situation, the council is starting to get back on its feet. The current plan is to hire a new Scout Executive after the first of the year, and to apply for the council's new charter about that same time. Part of the improvement has come from a selective cut logging on one of the other camps. Also, some preliminary work has been made to doing a cut at a third property, but there was some sort of contract snafu that has delayed that a bit. Looks like it may be spring before that logging is done.

However, there will be no logging at RCM. There may be some surplus equipment sold in the near future, but honestly they need to do that to get rid of some of the junk that seems to accumulate at every Scout camp.

(This message has been edited by Proud Eagle)

mwbarton wrote: Cool. I was in the first year camper program in 1984. I attended again is 1986. It's always far to find those "small world" situations.

I was on staff at a part of the First year camper program back in 1984. I think there were three of us on FYCP staff. I was the one from Paducah. The other two were from Indiana.

One of the best stunts I pulled that year was when I lead the team that used the camp cannon to over take the nature lodge.

I should note that we celebrated RCM's 50th anniversary this summer.

It started out as the Kentucky Lake Scout Camp back in 1954.

There is a special edition council strip and special addition temporary patch to comemorate this.

If you are interested, I may be able to find a way to put you in touch with the Ranger's wife, who runs the trading post in the off season. There may still be some left for sail. In fact, there probably are.

Well, it is a small world. I think BJ is going to be helping out the 2006 coarse our council is hosting. I talked to her about 2 weeks ago at a training event we were both on staff for, and she was helping to promote it a bit.

You probably also met a Tanner or two I would guess.

• 2 weeks later...