North East Camps

Ok, Time for my 2 cents on this topic. Right in Eric's back yard are two camps owned by revolutionary trails council - see http://www.rtcbsa.d2g.com/index2.html. Camp Russell, on White lake -in the adirondacks has as both in-camp and high adveture trek programs. cederlands Scout Reservation on ling lake is deeper in the heart of the mountains. I've spent I've had great time with my trrop at Russel and hope to be at Cederland this year. Wouls love to invite any nearby troop to contact me for more info on the above camps.

YIS

Spinnaker

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

My recommendation is Camp Mattatuck, just north of Waterbury CT. It's one of the Connecticut Rivers Council camps and, in my view, has the best program and facilities of the three. It's also only about 100 miles from Albany - a little over 2 hours drive. You can see my comments under the thread "And How Was Your Summer Camp Experience?" http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=135864&p=2.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like more information. We keep going back and back and back...

• 4 weeks later...

Our troop has made the trip to Wakpominee twice in the last 5 years. (from central Florida) I did not make the trip last summer, but my kid had a great time. I have heard nothing but great things from this camp.

I have been to Camp Tri-Mount with a previous troop in NY. B-

CE

pmickle1027 - you mentioned Tuscarora, but let me add Camp Barton. It's out of the same council (Baden-Powell) and located on the shores of Cayuga Lake north of Ithaca. It's a small camp with everything an easy walk and a totally beautiful waterfront.

Although not in my personal neck of the woods, I can recommend Camp Gorton in Five Rivers Council, near Dundee NY. Not too big, nice waterfront on Lake Waneta. Phone 670.292.3220. A friend is staff there, and I have visited recently, both with and without Scouts.

My, lots of choices (so long as the local councils don't need to sell the camp to pay the taxes)

YiS

Kittatinny Mountain Scout Reservation run by the Central New Jersey Council in Branchville, NJ is my absolute favorite summer camp. Located right off the AT and real close to the Delaware River, they have continued to wow me through the years. Their staff is great, scenery is beautiful and have just about 40 merit badges and programs for scouts to take part in. The are a small camp so the staff really gets to know you personally by the end of the week. My troop has traveled all around the northeast (just came back from Rodney in North East, MD) but none of them hold a candle to our experiences at KMSR. Here's a link: http://www.cnjcbsa.org/camping.shtml

• 3 weeks later...

I personally suggest Resica Falls Scout Reservation in Marshalls Creek, PA. Great camp on 4600 acres. Staff is great, food is great, brand new pool/showerhouse, great program.. resicafalls.com (email me with questions as i am on staff and can help)

Also, Treasure Island Scout Reservation in Pennsylvania. Col-bsa.org

• 2 months later...

I am currently looking for feedback for a camp we want to attend.We have been to some enjoyable camps such as Massawepie,Schoellkopf,and Gorton and last year we went to Camp Mountain Run a great camp(nice swimming pool),but poor MB program .We are looking at Camp Babcock- Hovey..Has anyone been there who wants to share experience...

• 2 weeks later...

Over the past four years we went to Sabattis Scout Reservation twice - Sabattis is in the Adirondacks (between Long Lake and Tupper Lake)

It's a great property! It's on Lows Lake, a 2800 acre non-motorboat lake. And all of the shoreline (except for the section owned by the camp) is state land. And this lake connects to many other lakes (all state land also), by either paddle or portage. And there are many free first-come first-served campsites on these lakes. There's no problem finding a 50-miler here! Best camp I've ever been to!

This year we are considering going to a different camp, just because we want to do something different. I am interested in some responses in this thread, but I guess I'll start another because we are specifically interested in Adirondacks. As great as Sabattis is, there's bound to be a few other good ones in the Adirondacks.

My troop's near Richmond, Va - an 11 hour drive away - but the Adirondacks are worth the trip for us!

If you havent decided on a camp yet come East to the Katahdin Area Councils Camp Roosevelt in E.Eddington, Maine. Its about 5 hours N.E of Boston. The camp opened in 1921, has lean-tos at some sites, tents on platforms with bunks at most and has a new, 400 seat dining hall completed in Fall '06. A traditional camp which is now also offering new scouts and cope courses. There is never a shortage of staff like you hear about in the western U.S. Check their website but do it soon-the camp books up fast!