Summer Camp Honor Roll

**from summer camps**

I have also had trouble finding objective information about scout camps. the "scoutcamp.org" site is very complete and has been a great help, but it does not give you any real sense of a camps quality. After two summers of marginal summer camps, I would like to recommend some camps to our scouts that have a great track record.

Is anyone interested in posting a scout camp "honor roll" here??

skip the negative stuff. If you've had a great experience, tell us about it.

I would like information about: progams, organization, facilities, camp staff, discipline, location, and any other unique features.

CE

Here's three....

In Virginia, Blue Ridge Mountains Council's High Knoll, or New River Adventure - backpacking, and whitewater.

Maine High Adventure Area, pure wilderness canoeing at it's best on rivers and big lakes. It once was a National High Adventure Base, but now under control of the Katadin Area Council. As far as I'm concern, it's better than Philmont...but, I'm a canoest.

Camp John Mensinger, Yosemite Area Council, Modesto, Ca. Their High Adventure program is starting to come back on line, and soon should be a hoot

• 2 weeks later...

Bartle runs 8500+ scouts each summer. the Kansas City paper quoted a quarter million having gone through the camp historically. Troops from 6-7 states attend camp there. Numbers don't lie. (oh, it's at capacity every session every summer in October)

I'd put Geiger, up near St Joeseph, MO on the list.

Camp Mack Morris, West Tennessee Area Council.

Superb program and very willing to work with out of council scouters to make a positive visit.

Along with the regular summer camp program, there is the opportunity for a half day canoe trip on the Buffalo River. This has been the best summer camp experience for my troop's scouts so far.

Although I was not involved in the troop at the time, I've heard from those that went to both that Medicine Mountain Scout Ranch in the Black Hills of South Dakota was also an excellent trip and runs a close second to Camp Mack Morris.

I think the canoe trip was the difference!

MTDScouter

Hi... west coast camps

Camp Chawanakee - Sequoia Area Council this is one of the grand-daddy camps of California. Have fun

Camp Cherry Valley & Camp Emerald Bay - Both on sunny Catilina Island. Far enough off the mainland you can't see the coast, you are adventure bound.

The Argus - Can you say Tall Ship? Can you say 2 staff memebers, rest of crew is your troop/crew? Can you spot the whales? Can you set sail up and down the California Coast? Get the picture?

Camp Oljato - High Sierra Camp, opposite side of lake from civilization. This place rocks too!

Rancho Alegra - Los Padres Council, GREAT first year camp, not good for experienced scouts, but they are getting a better program for older boys.

Then of course, Philmont, Northern Tier, and Sea Base. If you can get in, your boys will love these 3 National Camps...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We are a 'gypsy troop' - go to a different camp every year because that's the way we like it. Best camp in the last five years is Camp Barton in Ithaca NY (Baden-Powell Council). The best combination of program, staff, food, facilities, and admin we have experienced. And the waterfall is spectacular. Its small but a great stay especially for younger scouts.

Camp Joy - Okaw Valley Council Illinois.

In my opinion it had one of the best Aquatics program in 2004. (Hops quit smiling)

The camp is small and that makes it special. I spoke to all of the out of council troops that went to Joy this past summer and they all gave it a thumbs up.

Program Director this past year was by far one best I've seen.

Other camps I would recommend:

Camp Roy C Manchester - Shawnee Trails Council Ky

Camp Drake - Prarielands Council IL.

Any of the Greater St Louis Area Council Camps.

One very strong recommendation for Ransburg Scout Reservation just outside of Bloomington,IN ..run out of Indanapolis Council. It is everything you'd expect a great modern BSA camp could be .. I lived in 4 councils as a kid and my current troop always goes somewhere different (and has for years)and Ransburg is going to be very hard to equal. Be sure to consider the canoe trip to Patton's Cave.

Another camp with lots of good old scout values is Camp Hiawathia in Michigan's UP. One final editorial ..Miss the GREAT Wright's Lake run by Dee Slate and the Ann Arbor MI Council.

Camp Roy C. Manchester, located on Kentucky Lake.

I didn't used to be a big fan, but this past summer converted me.

Special things at RCM:

RCM has direct access to Kentucky Lake. This provides a massive area for motor boating, fishing, swimming, water skiing, small boat sailing, etc. Your troop can even bring its own boat and go out on the lake in your free time if you want.

There is a high adventure sailing program on several approx. 21 foot sailboats.

We have a good COPE coarse. We will be offering horsemanship and electricity. We will be having a new and improved program for 2005, including block scheduling, and an entire day dedicated to camp wide games, field trips, special activities, and patrol competitions. Essentially all the standard camp merit badges will be offered.

Facilities are pretty standard. Dining hall meals (or cook your own if you want to go that route), some cabins and adirondikes available, most sites require you to provide your own tents, there is lots of shade in most camps, and on good weeks there is a nice breeze blowing off the lake.

We handle between 100-400 Scouts per week for six weeks each summer. Staff arrives one week early to begin training. Staff consists mostly of Scout age individuals with prior staff experience, but there are also some older staff members, and some CITS each summer. Taking our staff from being a OK/average to being top notch is a priority if the camp committee for the coming year. So expect a good staff. Also, expect to see me around camp, at least for 2005.

Oh, did I mention RCM is where BSA got the idea for an Eagle Bound/first year camper program from?

Other camps I would recommend:

Camp Daniel Boone in North Carolina. I haven't been there since 1996, but at the time it was very good, and had a long reputation as a good camp.

Skymont in Tennessee. I was there with my troop in 2002. It was certainly a top notch place with good program.

Camps I have heard things about, or seen parts of:

I also have heard volumes of good things about Camp McKee in Kentucky near Lexington. Also Camp Crooked Creek near Louisville Kentucky always gets decent reviews. I have been to both camps, but not for summer camp. McKee has a great new dining hall. Both camps have reasonably good facilities.

camps I would personally avoid:

Old Ben Scout Reservation, near Evansville Indiana. I was there in 1995, it sucked. It has probably improved since then. I certainly hope so.

Walwood Scout Camp, in the Florida panhandle region. I was there in 2003. It was terrible. The only good thing I can think of was they had a really great salad bar full of fresh fruits and vegetables from some local college ag department. Oh, and the plumbing seemed to work well. Also, they had some decent camp games and patrol competitions.(This message has been edited by Proud Eagle)

Buffalo Trails Scout Reservation (BTSR) in the Davis Mountains of west Texas is a 5-star camp in my book. An exceptional staff, a terrific program, and absolutely gorgeous country makes this one of the most memorable scout camps our troop has experienced. In addition to regular advancement oriented programs, BTSR offers two high adventure programs - a Cavalcade (5 day horseback trek) and Mountain Man (western theme frontier survival). Highly recommended by youth and adults alike.