There are books out there that describe different Scout camps. However it is very much a case of "Different courses for different horses"

Depending on the program that your PLC wants to follow, how much time you want to spend traveling how much the Scouts can afford. There are just too many variables.

I love Philmont. However there are troops that don't like to hike.

I love Kandersteg, but travel to Switzerland is not cheap.

Summer camp should to my way of thinking be more about fun then location.

Welcome to the forums

Eamonn.

Hi,

We handled this question not long ago, but you might not know where to look for it. What part of the country are you from? Where do you want to go? What types of programs are you looking for? How many campers, and about what ages are you shopping for?

There are just about as many camps as there are troops, so I'm sure we can suggest good camps, but need to know where you are from, OK?

There aren't any that should be considered anything more than our opinions.

I'm not too sure about the other regions; however, the Northeast Region of the Order of the Arrow recently published a "Where to go camping" booklet. That's been quite useful in deciding what each camp in the region has to offer: facilities, acreage,

lake(s)/swimming, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard good things about mack morris in western tennessee.

I've seen troops from northern georgia to western missouri goto it.

bartle, geiger, arrowhead, and s-bar-f are all major camps. these are the four big council camps in missouri, and all sessions usually fill fast.

I looked up some of the past posts. Nobody knows. National doesn't want people to go out of council so advertising is limited. Most know of a few camps that they are familiar with and others feel it is a matter of taste or the kind of program you are searching for today. So, there must not be an Internet website if others say so. It is just hard to believe there isn't.

FB

I have also had trouble finding objective information about scout camps. the "scoutcamp.org" site is very complete and has been a great help, but it does not give you any real sense of a camps quality. After two summers of marginal summer camps, I would like to recommend some camps to our scouts that have a great track record.

Is anyone interested in posting a scout camp "honor roll" here??

skip the negative stuff. If you've had a great experience, tell us about it.

I would like information about: progams, organization, facilities, camp staff, discipline, location, and any other unique features.

CE

The question is how would you objectively rate a scout camp. Hotels are rated by travel related companies based on certain standards. I don't see how you can apply that to scout camps. Who would go visit scout camps in 50 states to do a comparison? I'd love to, but I also like to eat and pay my bills. I've spent lots of time in New Mexico as my wife's parents live there. I think it is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. I know people who think it is the most God forsaken place on Earth. Those kinds of things come into play when considering camps. It is a matter or personal taste. At summer camp this year, we had a 21 year old young man that ran the Trail to Eagle class. He was outstanding. We had a kid who taught flyfishing who handed the boys a pole and told them to go fish while he played cards. Depending on who you talk to and what classes they took, the program was either great or it was lousy. At best, you can only get subjective opinions on camps people have been to. Staff will change from year to year as well as camp directors. I really don't want to sound negative, but I don't think you can really effectively rate camps as the are a matter of personal taste and they make-up of the camp changes from year to year.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I should say to look for the best camp for you, but I always must plug my camp.

We are one of only THREE scout camps in the US that has a working forge. Philmont is another and I can't say I know the third. We have a frontier village named Flintlock. It takes you back to 1874 (I think) when electricity was new. They have candle making, metal work, wood carving, and graphic arts. We have two lakes, one for boating, one for swimming, a shooting range with archery, shotgun, and rifles. Of course I must tell you about our Nature Area. It's the most serene area on camp when it's not bustling with scouts. The hill our lodge sits on is actually eroding away, so we have an excellent example of one erosion control method. The view from the lodge is lovely though! We offer 14 merit badges and I hope to make that number jump a little bit next year. We have several animal specimens for the scouts to see. Our lodge is packed with knowledge! We have a great COPE tower and offer several High Adventure trips.

Our food is served family style. Where possible, our merit badges are open. The closed badges are at shooting sports, aquatics, and most Eagle required badges.

Something more important is that we are in a somewhat isolated area. The camp is located in Wildrose, Wisconsin. The nights are perfect for star hikes (unless it's cloudy). Scouts often see deer and other creatures they normally do not encounter. The lack of everyday luxeries gives the scouts a better appreciation for what they have and each other. Cellphones, however, don't work well. There's something for everyone at camp!

Bye the way, this is Napowan Adventure Base. It's owned by the Northwest Suburban Council.

Believe it or not, cub scouts can go to camp, too, and Camp Rokilio (near Sheboygan, WI) is fantastic! Run by Bay Lakes Council, they offer 14 4day/3night resident camp sessions every summer, so you know the staff is cub-experienced. Housing is in theme cabins (viking ship, space station, wild west fort, etc.) with theme activities in addition to the all-time favorites of bbguns and archery. Good food in the dining hall, with fun staff skits and songs. Can't say enough good things about it!

Try June Norcross Webster Scout Reservation (http://www.jnwebster.org) and/or Camp Pigott (http://www.seattlebsa.org/sbsa_CampingDepartment/CampingPages/CampPigott.htm).

My nephews went to JNW two years in a row it was so good. Next year they are doing Pigott. They search long and hard every year, so I would feel good about either of these. Good luck.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think you will find that everyone here will tell you about the "best" camp ever...and it is going to be thier own;) So I might as well make a plug for my home camp. Camp Lavigne is located in Northern Columbia County PA it is a small rustic camp with a BIG program, we have space in camp for just 160 per week and with over 40 paid and volunteer staff we offer an excellent program with a lot of individual attention. IN 2005 we are set to open a Brand new High COPE course to suppliment the over 30 elements of low COPE we already have in use. We offer Dining Hall as well as Patrol Feeding options to serve most any troops needs. If you have questions please feel free to contact me anytime.