Has anyone ever heard of a BSA camp confiscating all medications upon check-in? And to be told that it was BSA policy?

The G2SS clearly states that the taking of prescription medication is the responsibilith of the indidual or in the case of a minior Scout the parent or guardian. Scout leaders are neither required or encouraged to accept responsibility for Scout medications.

Also, the transfer of presecription medications is a violation of law - all prescription medication containers I have ever seen even have that printed on the label.

Prescription medicines are kept in the health lodge at summer camp as required by National Camp Standards for BSA camps. Bee sting kits and asthma inhalers are a few of the execptions. This is standard and is the camp's way of insuring that prescription drugs are taken as prescribed and by the person they are prescribed to.

The passage in the G2SS that you referred to is for unit camp outings.

The policy is not in voilation of the laws regarding sharing of prescriptions because the prescribed medicine is held for the person who's name is on the label.

If you have local questions, you should ask your council program director or the local camp director.

I hope this helps.

Unc.

Hi Uncle G,

Sorry to disagree with you, but there is nothing in the G2SS that that restricts the rules on prescription to Unit events.

On the other hand, what the G2SS does in effect is remove the unit leader from the handling of prescription medications, and puts the responsibility into the hands of the Scout and his parents/guardians. So if the Summer Camp or any property or facility used by the scout wants to require that prescription medications be turned over, to a qualified medical staff, it is not the scoutmaster's (or any other unit leader)role to interfere. If the parents have questions or compliance problems it is between the family and the facility. The Scoutmaster has no legal or program position to justify inserting themselves into the situation.

A private facility has the right to set its own health and safety regulations that are in keeping with the precautions required of them by state, or local regulatory agencies. They are also allowed to set such rules that assist them in administration of the camp. Since it is a private camp anyone not wishing to abide by their regulations is not required to enter or participate in activities at the facility.

In simpler terms if the family has problems with the camp rules they can request for a change or choose not to attend, but it is none of the scoutmaster's (or other leaders) busuiness.

Our summer camp is in Wisconsin. I think it was about 3 years ago we were told we could no longer disperse meds to scouts... state law. I hand over all meds at the medical check-in. The exception is, as previously stated Bee sting kits (epi pens) and asthma inhalers.

I'm notified with a pink slip when a scout has missed a med so i can remind him. It's not a bad system, if it's done right ;).

Sparkie

If your camp has a registered nurse, then you may find that state law is more restrictive than BSA policy. As a minimum you must comply with BSA policy, but some state laws may be more restrictive.

I attend camp in multiple states and find the medicine rule varies by state.

Example:

Maine. No medication is allowed to be distributed by Adult leader. PERIOD. I have to turn in ALL non-prescription medication to camp nurse. She controls ALL prescription and non-prescription medications. As an adult I am not allowed to even have my own personnel medication in the camp site. ALL medication MUST be turned into the nurse.

Connecticut. I can distribute non-prescription medication such as asprin but she controls ALL prescription medication.

My council camp: All meds turned into health lodge, except epi-pens and inhalers. Spare inhaler required and must be kept at health lodge. No meds allowed without an original Rx bottle or doctor's order (for non-Rx meds). Same applies to adults, but most ignore it. On check in, I was interrogated by a 14 year old female CIT on my meds "what's THAT for?"...turns out Monday morning she was working the Scoutcraft area. From now on, I keep my own meds.

Hi Bob:

You can apologize for disagreeing with me, but I think it would go over better if you actually did disagree with me. You simply said what I was trying to say in a more clear manner.

Owl62 said: "The G2SS clearly states that the taking of prescription medication is the responsibilith of the indidual or in the case of a minior Scout the parent or guardian. Scout leaders are neither required or encouraged to accept responsibility for Scout medications."

I said: "The passage in the G2SS that you referred to is for unit camp outings."

You said, "Hi Uncle G,

Sorry to disagree with you, but there is nothing in the G2SS that that restricts the rules on prescription to Unit events."

Which is what I was trying to say.

Council operated camps have different rules depending on the state.

Unc.

And I guess my point was that whether it is a unit outing or not the BSA does not require, request, suggest or support the unit leader handling prescription medications.

And in fact with most prescription medications, in most states, it would be illegal for anyone other than; a licensed medical professional, the patient, or the patients parent or legal guardian, to have possession of those medications even temporarily.

In addition most non-medical personnel are trained in the proper storage, or administration of those prescriptions and can find themselves in serious legal trouble ( both criminally and civilly) should a problem arise.

Bob:

You and I are saying the same thing in two different ways. Please allow me to clarify:

Unit leaders are not responsible for the dispensation of prescription medication. Council camps are, through their properly certified health officers.

We are in agreememnt.

Unc.

Uncle,

Who loves ya baby?

The only plaace I disagreed with you (and I am right about this by the way :) ) is when you wrote "The passage in the G2SS that you referred to is for unit camp outings."

That is not accurate, and here is an example to prove it. Does this same rule not apply to Den meetings? Sure it does. How about an OA event? Yep. Neither of those are unit camp outings and yet the same policy is in force. Nothing in the G2SS restricts this practice to unit camp outings only.

We do agree on the Council camp's authority and ability to determine health regulations for those in attendance.

Your Buddy,

Bob White

I love ya too, Bob, Big Guy.

I'm getting tired of vehemently agreeing with you. You are correct about den meetings and OA events. Dens are part of units and are treated as Unit activities. The Den who wishes to go to the mall is subject to the same local tour permits as the pack.

OA is a differnt beast, but treated outside of council activities.

We're on the same page, old friend.

I agree.

Unc.

On the other hand, what the G2SS does in effect is remove the unit leader from the handling of prescription medications, and puts the responsibility into the hands of the Scout and his parents/guardians. BSA does not require, request, suggest or support the unit leader handling prescription medications.

These are not true statement. The G2SS reads:

Prescriptions

The taking of prescription medication is the responsibility of the individual taking the medication and/or that individual's parent or guardian. A Scout leader, after obtaining all the necessary information, can agree to accept the responsibility of making sure a Scout takes the necessary medication at the appropriate time, but BSA policy does not mandate nor necessarily encourage the Scout leader to do so. Also, if your state laws are more limiting, they must be followed. This is not in bold type in the G2SS.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10(This message has been edited by evmori)