Cell Phones at Summer Camp

My 12 y/o son is at camp several States away in the mountains as we 'speak.' Just before he left I started getting a little nervous even though his Dad has accompanied him so I packed a little fanny pack for him and his bestfriend. I included waterproof matches, a whistle with a compass, an emergency blanket, firesticks along with several other things AND his CELL PHONE. I am much relieved because of it. Things happen no matter how careful the adult leaders try to be! We try to teach our kids to be independent and responsible, but along with doing that, there are risks. Of course, I also hoped for a phone call or two because I want to hear all the fun things he's doing, but I haven't heard a peep. He promised to carry the fanny pack with him and leave the phone on because I hope that if he were to get separated and lost the signal from the phone might help to locate him.

I would have been VERY UPSET if I had been told ahead of the trip that he would not be allowed to bring it. My gripe with some of the comments here is that Scouters teach our kids to use knives, shoot rifles & shotguns, bows and arrows, teach them survival and MANY other things. What is so hard about also teaching them how to handle a cell phone respectfully and responsibly? It doesn't take near the effort it does to teach them how to shoot a rifle.

Why do some people think we need a hardfast ban on electronic devices and a new rule everytime something goes awry? If we can regulate how to use deadly equipment safely it seems that common sense dictates that we can also regulate the use of a cell phone instead of ruining it for everyone. My child doesn't get homesick - never has and probably never will so, should he be banned from bringing it because another child can't handle it? I differentiate between my children depending on which one can handle what; teachers constantly differentiate between children and it usually works in everyone's favor.

Loosing the cell phone and blaming the leader?! I don't think so - if my son lost his cell phone it's our hard luck and a simple, polite comment from the Leaders to that affect should suffice to desuade reluctant parents. If it doesn't, they've been warned. I knew the risk when I packed it.

Last year was his first year at a nearby camp. He was there without his father and we were both anxious to hear from him. Before he left we asked him to call mid-week. Wednesday came and went without a call. We knew there was a pay phone and so we sent him without cellphone, but equiped with a phone card. On Thursday his Leader let him use his cell phone because everytime he tried to use the pay phone he was told his Leader had to be with him, but because all the Leaders were busy dealing with homesick kids or other events and problems it wasn't working out. They couldn't find a good time to walk half a mile to the top of the hill to give him permission to call.

For every negative cell phone story we can list in this thread, we can also come up with a positive one.

This is a changing world. Scouting has to change with it. We can either incorporate new technology in a positive, ethical way or sit back and watch Scouting become a dinosaur.

Ok, so admittedly, I'm kinda homesick for him and wish he'd remember that cell phone in his fanny pack!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure cell phones are a great device in case of an emergency. They can also be a real problem if Scouts are playing games on them, texting their friends & using them for non-emergency situations. And the non-emergency use is where the problems come from. A Scout calling mom because he is homesick. Not good. Only creates problems for the adult leadership at camp. A Scout playing games on them. Not good. I don't think mom & dad dished out the cash for little Johnny to sit in his tent all week & play games or text his friends on his cell phone.

If the adult leadership has cell phones & uses them properly, then there is no need for a Scout to bring one to camp.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Way to go janssenil!!!

I'm with you 100%. Your absolutely right about setting some simple rules about cell phone use. The hang wringing and "if" statements about cell phones are the same concerns that can be said about knifes, matches, playing cards, etc.

I sent my boy off with his phone to Jambo. He is not going to visit a major city and be in what is more of a 10 day social event without a lifeline. After the events there I'm glad he took it. Verizon made sure that the coverage at the event was 100%. For most boys 14 and over the homesickness argument doesn't hold anymore.

Just to be clear. I agree with setting some basic rules about cell phone use.

I guess I must be missing something. Cell phones are like anything else. They are tools that, when used appropriately, are a positive addition to the Scouts p-gear. If used inappropriately, they can be a problem. It's been the practice of our troop to disallow cell phones except for the adult leaders, but I personally wouldn't have a problem with allowing the Scouts to bring cell phones with some limits on usage. One, no game playing; that's in the same class as bringing Gameboys along. We want the Scouts to interract and toys meant for individual use detract from that (although I've seen Scouts having a great time clustered around a Gameboy, taking turns playing). Two, their use should be limited. If they need to talk to someone that much, perhaps they should stay home. I think cell phones are like anything else; their proper use has to be learned just like anything else. They're just like any other modern convenience we've brought to camping, along with sealed tents, GPS systems, and charcoal. They all have their appropriate time and place. Yes, on campouts we are supposed to be communing with Nature, but bringing along cell phones, and using them responsibly, needn't take away from that.

I always laugh when I have someone tell me this or that shouldn't be allowed because , "you know, Lewis and Clark didn't need cell phones". Somehow, I think that if Lewis and Clark had access to cell phones or GPS, they would have been pleased as punch.

I think that cell phones have a use on scouting activities for safety reasons but that the adult leaders are the only ones that should have them. Last year, our troop was on a backpacking trip and I slipped crossing a stream and shatterd my knee and broke the tibia too. One leader had a cell phone and was able to contact search and rescue. While I was prepared to stay on the trail for a couple of days while the troop hiked out, getting a hold of search and rescue was better. This is what the phone was used for and it is a proper use. This summer, I was on NYLT staff and we had a few cell phones for the staff. We used them to call parents for illness reasons and to communicate with the council office about logistical issues (missing T-shirts, certificates, etc.) The phones mostly stayed in the cars until needed. When participants asked me to use the phone, I would tell them it was back at the parking lot and they did not want to walk to the car to get it.

As far as other entertainment electronics like Gameboys, I don't think they belong in Scout camp. When they first came out I remember listening to one most of the night on a campout. A radio with the leaders to get weather reports is OK but that's about it in my book.

I think that cell phones have a use on scouting activities for safety reasons but that the adult leaders are the only ones that should have them. Last year, our troop was on a backpacking trip and I slipped crossing a stream and shatterd my knee and broke the tibia too. One leader had a cell phone and was able to contact search and rescue. While I was prepared to stay on the trail for a couple of days while the troop hiked out, getting a hold of search and rescue was better. This is what the phone was used for and it is a proper use. This summer, I was on NYLT staff and we had a few cell phones for the staff. We used them to call parents for illness reasons and to communicate with the council office about logistical issues (missing T-shirts, certificates, etc.) The phones mostly stayed in the cars until needed. When participants asked me to use the phone, I would tell them it was back at the parking lot and they did not want to walk to the car to get it.

As far as other entertainment electronics like Gameboys, I don't think they belong in Scout camp. When they first came out I remember listening to one most of the night on a campout. A radio with the leaders to get weather reports is OK but that's about it in my book.

scoutldr

The world has changed in many ways, not the least of which is the number of volunteers who are available and trained.

And, as far as calling home, maybe your Mom didn't care if you called so it wasn't an issue for you.

i personally believe that only scout leaders should have cell phones on campouts. almost all scouts do not have the discipline to use them responsibly. most cant keep track of them responsibly. if it gets lost/stolen then the parents get mad, and the scouts start pinting fingers. it is not a good situation.

there is absolutely no reason why little johnny should have to call mommy every night. if he needs to talk to her that much he should stay at home.

as far as im concerned the only thing on a campout that has batteries should be a flashlight

I had two of the most loving, caring parents one could ask for. They loved me enough to know when to let go and let me grow up and take care of myself. That's a problem I see with today's kids...they are "growing up" at a much later age...if at all.

i agree with scoutldr. parents in this day and age need to just learn when to let go. sending a cell phone with them on every campout does not teach them anything. they just learn to rely on the phone too heavily.

i have the greatest parents one could ever ask for. i have never once had a cell phone with me for the purpose of "checking in". i have even went to nh hiking on the AT for a week, calling only once to let them know i was out of the MTNS. not having a cell phone has not made any differnce in me, except showing me that my parents has trust in me, and that the know i can handle it.

i think scouts would and could go farther if their parents werent always throwing a cell phone in their hand telling them to call once a day every day.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like some of the people on this forum don't really read the posts before responding.

No, I didn't say I wouldn't send my son to camp without a cell phone nor did I say I wouldn't send him if he couldn't bring his cell phone. I did say I would be very upset if there were hardfast rules that he couldn't bring his cell phone. As it turned out, his unit was suppose to leave all electronic devices on the bus, but they were targeting gameboys, etc., versus cell phones. My son's cell phone is a very weird one with a display that is a half inch wide and doesn't have any games on it so we didn't have that issue, but he didn't even think about the fact that it was in his fanny pack so you could say he broke the rule (accidently).

Yes, I would have loved to hear from him, it's true, but as I said, he was having so much fun and had limited signal that I didn't hear a peep after the first call from Dad saying they had arrived safely until they were on the road for home. Does it sound like he has a problem with independence? Some kids do, you say? Does that mean all kids should then suffer the cellphone ban?

As for the comment about phone calls home inhibiting growth, all if have to say is that all throughout your life you have to check in with people. It's not a bad thing for boys/anyone to learn to check in! As a working adult, you have to call your boss if your ill and as a parent you have to check in with your family. As a leader, you are constantly checking in with those around you. Communication is the key to success! The happiest marriages are those where communication flows easily. Teaching kids to check in isn't a bad thing. And, I NEVER said anything about calling home everyday or even every other day, in fact, I didn't make any requirements about calling home. It wasn't the point. I did say I was curious and anxious to hear what he was doing, tho.

It's good to encourage parents (Dads) to go to camp with the boys, but calling home to share things with family is wrong? What does that teach?

janssenil your 2 for 2 on your excellent points. Our troop committee had our kick off meeting this week. We had 8 boys at Jambo. The parents were appreciative that I ensured that my son had a cell phone and wanted to chip in for the cost of the August bill. (He allowed all of his mates to use it. After 10pm it was free.)

The point here is that we have another opportunity to teach our boys how to properly use tool that will be used everyday. Part of the program is teaching our boys to be prepared. The hand wringing about homesickness, getting lost, playing games, etc. pale to its usefulness if used only one time in the Scouts career to save a life.