Waterfront at Summer Camp

I posted a similiar thread over at ussscouts.org and didn't receive any feedback so thought I would try here.

I have been hired by my council as the aquatics director. I realize I will get a lot of ideas at Camping School, however I would like to hear from Scouters as well. I KNOW YOU have a lot to say as I have gone through the program and am now a 21 year old assistant scoutmaster. Every summer I hear scoutmasters complain about something or suggest something. Well for once, a camp staff member will TRY to meet your demands, although it probably will not be at your camp.

Do you have any ideas for different ways of meeting merit badge requirements, other than swim 50 yards (example not the real req.). My waterfront has small boat sailing, swimming, canoeing, lifesaving and rowing. Also we offer a Polar Bear swim and open boating/swimming and instructional swim. So are there any creative ways to meet requirements? Obviously I have to make sure the Scouts meet the requirements, but when I was a Scout I believed that it was boring to do the same thing over and over.

Also, when I have to tell a Scout he did not meet the requirements how would I let him know? I have been an area director in other places and have told Scouts that they have to deal with a partial. It was not a pleasant experience when the scoutmaster heard so do you have any suggestions on how to deal with that?

Thank you very much for your answers here and the hard work over the next few months while you are with your Scouts at camp. Don't beat the staff up too badly.

YIS

Congrats on the aquatics director job

I'm speaking on my experience as an aquatics director and as a current scoutmaster.

On your question on requirements make sure the scouts know what the requirement is, have one of your staff demonstrate the requirement and give the scouts all the time possible to meet it. Nothing says they have to get it right the first time if they are showing signs of frustration skip it and go to another and come back to it later, even next day if possible. I was known to have scouts in the water up to the time the parents were arriving Saturday to pick them up. Talk about incentive ;) Still there are going to be scouts who wont or cant meet the requirement. Be gentle but firm tell them where they are coming up short. There is always next summer.

Swimming instruction, dont take swimming instruction lightly; this can be a really big deal to an 11-12 year old to go from non-swimmer or beginner to swimmer. Once you get them into the water and comfortable look at the first class swimming requirements and work backwards. Start with floating, progress to resting backstroke, forward strokes and lastly jumping into deep water. Get as much one on one between your staff and the scouts as possible. Put those lifeguard BSA candidates to work. I had one scout that took three summers just to pass the swimmer requirements. It wasnt for lack of effort rather a lack of body mass and strength youd be hard pressed to find a scout that was happier than that one that day. I can take a boat out now! Oh yeah and I can get First class!!

Now a couple of strange ideas

The clothes inflation requirement I demonstrated by wearing a full long sleeved uniform shirt, uniform pants, hiking boots, cowboy hat (sorry bobwhite) and a backpack with about 20 lbs of dead weight. Mind you we practiced this during staff week with an empty pack at first. While under water I would ditch the pack and my boots. To say the least it impressed the scouts to see me pop back up to the surface and complete the clothes inflation. No I didnt make them wear a pack when they did it.

Free swims, Offer the troop not just a hour of getting wet and being loud but perhaps a few minutes of skill instruction or learn a game other than Marco-polo or sharks and minnows. Sometime since the great flood there was a requirement in the Swimming MB to enter the water swim a distance (forgotten) and exit without making noise. Challenge the scouts to do that by sneaking up on a guard on the far side of the pool or pier.

Well thats enough for tonight.

YIS

Phil

AK-Eagle

Every summer I hear scoutmasters complain about something or suggest something.

Ignore the adults, if you try to please the adults you will be running around in circles, this SM wants it done this way that SM wants it done that way, setup your program and run it, listen to the suggestions, (notice I said suggestions not complaining or whining) if you think it is a good idea try to use it, but do not add or subtract from the requirements.

Also, when I have to tell a Scout he did not meet the requirements how would I let him know?  I have been an area director in other places and have told Scouts that they have to deal with a partial. It was not a pleasant experience when the scoutmaster heard so do you have any suggestions on how to deal with that?

Be positive with the scouts say wow, you really improved today, maybe tomorrow you can finish it up! OR You finished requirements 1 and 4 you are half way there! Keep it positive but truthful. Now for the SM, make sure that the SM is not confronting you in front of scouts, ask him to walk a ways from the scouts, and just tell the SM, I am sorry but he did not finish all of the requirements. Be polite but do not change your story, do not argue with him, just keep saying he did not finish the requirements.

Just think about watching polar bears at the zoo swimming past on their backs.

Now as ugly as the picture may be, think about us lilly-white, less than ideally configured, "experienced" Scouters floating by doing a leisurely backstroke . . .

Polar Bear swim - Right? :)

We joust.

A small circular plywood platform covers the top of a floating innertube attached to it by bungee cords. A scout is able to stand (barely) and balance himself as he does battle with another scout atop another floating platform. Each is armed with a 6 ft long pole that has a thickly padded boxing glove on the end. The first to fall of his platform twice loses and another scout gets to try.

Rarely do the scouts actually make contact. More often then not they spin and bobble out of control and fall laughing hysterically into the lake.

A great time is had by all.

Polar Bear Swim - An early morning dip in the lake. Usualy 6:00 AM or something like that. The water is nice and cold. Hence the name.

Bob - I've seen the jousting done with "noodles", you know, those long floatation things kids play with in the pools. Not much chance of injury with them.

Hey,

I just returned from our staff training weekend. I have new docks at camp which is awesome and five new Sunfish. My staff seems great, now I just need to find an inflatable elephant.

I would like to thank you all for your comments. The jousting sounds interesting and I will certainly use many of your suggestions. I will let you all know how it went. Thank you again!