Summer Camp Medical Issue . . .

"He told her that the information was private and should be available to the director and the medical officer only. That no other campers or staff should see the medical form unless there was a medical problem that made that necessary."

Here is the beginning of a great solution. Screen the forms and determine which staff must be informed of problems. The medical officer and the camper should notify the staff that must know about a problem. This might require that the forms be sent in before the camp and not delivered when the scouters arrive depending on the number of medical staff the camp has. Keep the forms in a lock box in the medical office and return them when camp is over.

The idea that a scout or scouter should conform (deliver any information requested) or stay home is not acceptable to me. I believe that the scouts deserve a better example than this.I am the ACM of my son's pack and the ASM of his future troop. I am also part of the CO that sponsors the troop and we hope to start another pack next year. So I will continue to work for a written policy that respects the privacy of everyone.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok... maybe it is harsh to say either fill it out or don't go, but it's the truth. The staff does need to be aware of any serious medical problems that you have. If you are ashamed that you have them, then you shouldn't be volunteering. Most people only have to fill out the Form 1 for day camp and the form 2 for a Weeblos resident camp. It's not that big of a deal here folks. I don't understand why people are having such a problem with this topic. Seriously the health for is there for YOUR safety. If you don't want to fill it out, or you want to lie on it that's fine.. just don't come sue us when we give your happy ass the wrong kind of treatment. If you are going to summer camp, fill out the form and turn it in. Don't cause a hassle of moaning and complaining how unfair it is. If you want to moan and complain stay home because the staff hears enough of it from the other adults.

Ok... maybe it is harsh to say either fill it out or don't go, but it's the truth. The staff does need to be aware of any serious medical problems that you have. If you are ashamed that you have them, then you shouldn't be volunteering. Most people only have to fill out the Form 1 for day camp and the form 2 for a Weeblos resident camp. It's not that big of a deal here folks. I don't understand why people are having such a problem with this topic. Seriously the health for is there for YOUR safety. If you don't want to fill it out, or you want to lie on it that's fine.. just don't come sue us when we give your happy ass the wrong kind of treatment. If you are going to summer camp, fill out the form and turn it in. Don't cause a hassle of moaning and complaining how unfair it is. If you want to moan and complain stay home because the staff hears enough of it from the other adults.

I agree, medical forms are meant to be informative to the camp to see what medical problems they are going to have to face. This helps prevent a lawsuit and/or anything that is not a necessity if a complication does arise. All people: leaders, staff and campers need to fill out a medical form for their safety and if you dont want to go along with the policy of many boy scout camps then you dont need to go.

-CTBoyScout101

I'm sorry tradingpostlady I do find your tone and the wording of your posting to be very offensive.

Medical information is needed by camps to ensure that campers are up to date with immunization's and will to a certain extent allow properly qualified medical personal perform medical procedures if the person is a minor or unable to communicate for themselves.

The forms are needed and a useful tool. Having the medical form reviewed by a qualified medical Camp staff member is also a good thing.

All camps have to have a qualified medical person on staff. This person should have access to the forms and take responsibility for the safe keeping of the form and the information that has been given.

The problem comes when the information is shared, without permission.

Unit Leaders should should review these forms and become knowledgeable about the medical needs of the youth members in their unit.

There is no need to share information about a ailment that might cause embarrassment with anyone else. This has nothing to do with shame. There are things should be confidential if for no other reason than the person wants it that way. I have had Scouts that take medication to prevent bed wetting, their body was growing at a faster rate than their bladder. The Lad was 16 and would rather die than have that information get out. I have had adults who are recovering from surgery and had the need to camp by the bathroom because they had chronic diarrhea. Not life threatening but there was no need for anyone else to know. I know people who have had a Orchiectomy, this information could lead an unqualified people to jump to all sorts of conclusions, most of which would be wrong, in the case of a young Lad it could cause a lot of embarrassment.

This is one reason why the medical form review is done by a qualified person and not the CIT.

Eamonn.

I stated that BSA needs to have a written policy on this. That policy should state who is responsible for keeping the medical forms. It should state that the information is to be used by the medical staff only. It should also state what the disposition of the form is, shred or return, and what safeguards should be taken to insure that the information is confidential. We should accept nothing less.

Why is this a big issue? I have been associated with three young men who now avoid camp. They will not discuss their medical history in front of the other boys or adults. One of the boys was going on a campout and listed the drugs that he had to take. He was recovering from surgery and chemo for cancer. The DL and CM were discussing this and one of the boys in his den overheard them. No one wanted to share a tent with him. The other boys thought he might die during the night. The other two have similar conditions. They do not want their peers to be afraid of them. Let's include similar information from family campouts. My daughter has a bladder condition. She cannot control her bladder if she is tickled or laughs to excess. Imagine how she felt when one of the Webelos found out about this and caused an incident on our family campout. It was her last campout.

So now I am unwelcome in your camp and my boys are unwelcome also. The troop stays away from your camp. Eventually no one comes to camp. No one complains to you about anything. No one can sue you. Closing the camp is not a good solution.

If you do anything, someone is going to complain. If you do anything, there is a chance that someone will sue you. If there is a national written policy that respects the rights of the scouts and the scouters and that is consistently applied at all camps, we have a working start to a solution to this problem. It is not your decision and it is not my decision, it is BSA policy.

First responders work with people every day without the benefit of medical forms. The first thing that they look for is a medic alert bracelet or necklace. If I had a serious medical condition, I would wear one.

I have one last thought on this issue. I attended a non-BSA campout many years ago. The medical rules were that you had a physical and brought a medical form to the medics when you checked in the campground. A doctor had looked over the events that were planned and had written conditions that would disqualify one from each event. A list of these conditions were available to the campers prior to the sign up for camp. Campers were issued permission passes to each event that they were attending. The medical form was folded, placed in a waterproof bag and returned to the campers. Everyone carried the medical form in either the left pants pocket or the left shirt pocket. Our meal tickets were added to the bag later. At each meal, we showed our meal ticket and our medical form sealed in its bag. At each event, we showed that medical form again and presented our pass to take the event. At least every two hours, we confirmed that everyone had a medical form with them. In an emergency, the medics had all the information they needed to proceed with treatment. Serious conditions such as heart problems were discussed prior to the campout and medical personnel were prepared to respond to those problems also. We even had a mom-to-be attend that campout. No one had a problem with the medical form when it was treated in this way and it had more information that the Class III form.

Eamonn, I appreciate that you addressed this problem of medical information embarassing the scouts. Your post reminded me that I do have a medical condition that is not on the Class III form. I have sleep apnea and need electricity to power a CPAP machine that I wear whenever I sleep. Do you have a campsite with an electrical outlet? I usually have a battery and an inverter for power.

LPasn

Nearly all of the sites at our Summer Camp have a pavilions that has power, you need to bring your own extension cords, but I'm sure the maintenance guys would help you out if you forget.

We have provided power at our primitive camp where we do most of our outdoor training's.

I have always thought that we are in the business of finding ways of making things work and over coming hurdles. Working together we get so much more done and as a bonus the example we set for our Scouts is priceless.

Eamonn.

I can't believe the erroneous information being posted in this thread.

The requirements for Class 1, 2, and 3 Medical Forms are printed on the forms. Resident camp requires a Class 1 (update) every 12 months and a Class 2 every 36 months for all youth and adults under 40. Those over 40 must have a Class 3 every 12 months. Ducky, please check your facts before posting.

It costs me around $400 to get an annual physical for my Class 3. Only every third year my health insurance covers a portion of this. If someone shredded my form at the end of summer camp, I would be very upset. The form belongs to me, not the camp, and it is good for 12 months. Medical forms should always be returned to the individual or unit leader, since they may be needed for other activities other than Summer Camp. Since the forms also contain a parental consent for treatment, I doubt that a photocopy would be acceptable, so the original should always be on file. Our SM always has them in his briefcase for every activity in case we need to take a trip to the hospital.

It's already been established that HIPPA does not apply to this situation, however there is an expectation of confidentiality. State laws may vary. I don't object to the Medical Officer or Camp Director having access. I do object to 14 year old CITs and other non-licensed staff having access and performing medical check ins in hearing range of others.

TPlady: Your attitude and language has no place here. There are youth present.(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

First of all i didn't know that we needed a **** ing doctor on our camp staff. A CIT is not going to see the medical records. I'm so done with this issue and you people it's not even funny. You all make this big issue about the medical forms. I hope that you don't ever come to my camp!

"First of all i didn't know that we needed a doctor on our camp staff."

The list of people who meet the BSA Camp Standard Number M-34 was posted by Adrianvs.

"A CIT is not going to see the medical records."

I don't think anyone said that a CIT would see the forms, the matter was the sharing of information that is on the medical form.

As for "I hope that you don't ever come to my camp! "

It was very nice of you to donate a camp to the BSA, but if you still think of it as Your camp? I don't think we want it.

I also have some very real concerns about your suitability to work around our youth members. If you are unable to communicate in a civil and courteous manner maybe you should think about seeking employment someplace where there are no children around. The example you are setting is not one which I would like my son to follow.

Eamonn.

TPlady, you have serious anger issues. I hope you find the proper medication soon. Please let us know what camp you work at, so we can all avoid it.

I was not speaking hypotheticals, I was speaking from an actual experience where several non-medical staff members were enlisted to assist with check in. Among these was a 14 year old female CIT. I found that to be inappropriate and I discussed it with the Camp Director and professional staff. Scouts and adults should not be expected to discuss their medical issues with a youth staff member.

No i didn't donate a summercamp. But it's the one that I work at and so I call it my camp. no big deal. Eammon or however you spell it, you said yourself that you don't want a CIT looking at the health forms, that's why i said that CIT's don't look at them. There are also those little *** things when I use inappropriate language so i don't know why you are knocking on me for usage. It's stated in the conctitution that I have the write of free speech and expression. As for my attitude... i don't care what any of you think. I'm irritated because you all can't get over a freaking form. Seriously if it is that big of a deal, the national board would have changed it. Medications are necessary and i'm sorry that some of your kids have dropped out because people make fun. That's what happens when you are a kid. people make fun of you for no reason. last night I called my mom to discuss with her some of the things that have been discussed here and she said that it is partially the adult leaders faults for some of the things that occur. For example the child with Leukimia, had the other children been talked to about it, they would not have been afraid and he would have had an enjoyable experience. Children aren't dumb, if you would just talk to them they would listen and have a better understanding. One of the neighbor kids has brain cancer. Children were scraed of him until a presentation was given about the disease and how he is overcoming it. Now all the children bring in money to help pay for his chemo treatments. About the shredding of the health forms... if you are attending a regular camp, then you don't even turn in a class 3 form. We also take PHOTOCOPIES... this is a new concept to some of you OLD people. Plus if you turn in the originals, you can send the paperwork to the doctors office and have them fill it out again the following year. What a concept. AS for you all to know... I am great with children. I happen to be a 3rd grade teacher and have been recognized on several occasions as someone who reaches out into the community to expand my children's horizons. when you have to deal with issues of why so and so's mommy can't be here becuase they are in jail or dead do to drug busts, come talk to me. I happen to help a lot of children who come from abusive homes get a good education and go far in life.