Scout Camp Latrines

Flush toilets? Showers in the sites? WOW! We have the old "two holer" (with a toilet seat!) and metal urinal. There is a wash stand with running water and a spigot. The camp has two centrally located shower facilities with scouts showering on even hours, adults on odd hours.

Our camp started with the wrist bands. Felt like I was back in the hospital.

I guess our camp is sort of in-between regarding latrines. There are a few central shower facilities with hot water for a short while. And at some of the remote camp sites there are pit latrines that must date back for decades. But it is all moot as the sanitation people are requiring the camp to completely refit to meet codes. Expensive, but a good thing to do.

we used wrist bands at Webelos Resident camp. After 3 days I was ready to get rid of the thing. I would hate to wear them for a week of scout camp.

Our camp that is used for Cub Scouts and WRC added a new shower/bathhouse 2 years ago. Private stalls for both showers and flush toilets. It was a big hit. It is shared by several hundred, so there is a line.

Our Boy Scout camp has a two-holer + urinal in every campsite, plus a showerhouse for every 4 campsites. A campsite probably holds about 50-100 people. The showerhouse contains one toilet and 4 showers for boys, and one toilet and 4 showers for adults. This year they put up walls between the showers - that was a big win for the boys. (It's amazing how private boys have become).

I think the real issue with Scout camp latrines is the design and care of them, and then there is is the cost. Even primitive latrines cost money to build and maintain.

Most primitive Scout camp latrines that I have seen are poorly designed, build and maintained. Many of them have a concrete holding tank that needs to be pumped out regularly - most are not. Many of the concrete foundations and tanks were poorly built and are damaged by settling and the effects of weather. The above ground stuctures are mostly even worse. Many are not constructed of treated lumber and are badly rotted. Waste water from the sinks and shower often just drains out on the ground causing a muddy mess. The comode holes are often set back too far on the latrine box even for adults - some have toilet seats - some do not. Many have lids that are springloaded so that they remain closed to help keep down insects and prevent animals from falling in the pit. Problem with that is that the user has an unsanitary toilet seat lid resting on their backs.

I have no idea how some of these facilities pass health department inspections.

Camp Rand in NM had relatively good latrines in campsites. Well designed with concrete pits that were well maintained. Treated lumber and commodes that were metal tubes with a real toilet seat and lid on top. The water from the sink and showers did drain out onto the ground but it is so dry there, the water evaporated quickly.

I think health and safety should be the guide for Scout campsite latrines. The should be well designed, comply with local building codes, and must be well maintained.

We just came back from summer camp. The only hot water showers available for the Scouts were at the pool. Problem was, they were kept locked when the pool was not open - which was most of the time when Scouts could take a shower. Something wrong with that picture. They said it was to prevent Scouts from abusing the facility. Easy solution to that is to have a key available for adult leaders to sign out so that they can take their unit to the showers and then be responsible for them. We suggested that but the staff said they had no one to check the showers afterward. The staff had hot showers.

• 2 months later...

We are in the process of replacing and upgrading all of the latrines at our camp. I am the Capital Improvements Committee Chairman and what I really need to know is where good designs can be obtained. Are blueprints available and are there companies that specialize in latrine design, building and installation. Any help would be appreciated.

Believe it or not, I've actually built a state health department spec outhouse before and I've never seen a pit latrine at a Scout camp which met the specs.

Most camp latrines I've seen look like they were built as OA ordeal projects -- poor use of materials and workmanship. The most common problem is that the concrete looks to have been finished with a leaf rake. This makes them impossible to keep clean and for water to drain away properly. The biggest problem though is that a single pit latrine just isn't made to support 20 or 30 people living in a typical campsite.

Someone above mentioned plans from the national office. I would want to check that out. But if I were responsible for the plans myself, I would have a qualified engineer design the system capacities. I'd also look into some of the systems available that activly compost the material and have tall vents -- not just plain pits in the ground. I would also select materials with an eye toward maintenance. This means no raw wood or concrete. Even with epoxy-coated masonry all the little nooks and crannies look nasty even if it is clean. This applies to both latrines and plumbed facilities.

Say what you want about boys today being woosie about pit latrines, but the truth is nice facilities are an important part of a good camp experience. I don't care how great the program is, a camp with bad food, gross outhouses and leaky tents isn't going to attract many campers. Boys may talk a good game, but no one enjoys living in filth for a week.