Camp Old Indian

Has anyone here been to Camp Old Indian in the Blue Ridge Council? We tried to get out troop in there this summer, but they were full the week we wanted to go, so we are shooting for next summer already. What I am trying to find out is some tips... best campsite, closest campsite to dinning hall, whats the food like, how was the staff to work with, etc...

I know it's too late to get in this year, we are going to put in for next year (2005) in July. We picked this camp for several reasons. First we liked the merit badge offerings. They have alot that weren't offered at some of the other camps close by. Second it's in the mountains. It's a whole lot cooler there in mid June that it is the other places we have been going. Anyway we have made up our mind to go there next summer, we just want some tips and pointers of how it is at camp.

• 6 months later...

Camp Old Indian is an excellent camp. They have a wide variety of merit badges and their staff is excellent. Granted, some of their program facilities might not be as nice as other camps, but their staff more than makes up for that. I know their high adventure department is making great strides and coming up with new program ideas every year. They are actually developing a natural rock face for climbing and rapelling activities. It is a rather popular camp with anyone who has been there, so if you want to go, make your reservation early. Good luck and I hope you get to experience it!

Camp Old Indian is one of the greatest camps for Scouts. While they might not have state of the art facilities, Scouting is a passion for most of their staff and it shows through their program. Every scout there feels wanted and that a staff member there cares about them, which could be a challenge for any other camp housing 550 campers with 60 staff. I would reccomend this camp to ANYONE! By the way, spaces do fill up fast, so sign up quickly!

• 3 weeks later...

While Camp Old Indian continues to strive to meet todays demands and tomorrow's expectations, it continues to prove to be one of the best Camps in the South East region. A 'good' Camp is not a Camp erected with state of the art facilities. True COI has buildings new and old, but that is not only what makes it great; The STAFF creates the proper Scout Camp environment. I believe great camps are created & established mostly from the staff. Not to brag on Camp Old Indian or it's programs, but let me tell you this...I, as a staff member, have been told by numerous troops that they really enjoy Camp Old Indian because it is a "Scout Camp". These very leaders have told me that they have been to camps that were supposed to be great and top knotch because of their state of the art facilities, but those leaders said that they did not feel like they were at a 'Scout Camp'. With all said & done, trust me, you will not be dissapointed with taking your Troop to the Camp Old Indian 2005 season, but hurry because spaces are filling up quick! Also, COI is one of the cheapest camps in the south east. $145 for in council, and $175 for out of council. Can't beat that with the great food, awesome camp programs and instruction and the beautiful array in which Camp is located.(This message has been edited by sceagle)

• 3 months later...

I worked at COI for several years (96-98) and had a blast. The MB programs and offerings were pretty decent when I was there (I moved to VA in 2000.)

The campsites at COI vary greatly. Windy Hill is probably the nicest campsite, but is very remote, and is a long hike to the mess hall and activities (5-10 minutes.) Oconee Camp is pretty big, and has an adult lounge/adirondack (3 sided cabin.) It is the closest camp to the Meadow, firing range (hope you don't mind waking up to shot gun blasts) and the general program/MB area.

The Greenville "A's" is a mix between Oconee and Windy Hill. Most of the campsites at COI are excellent. The only "bad" site is Hogans. It is next to windy hill, has no shade, and features small adirondacks that face each other so their is absolutely no privacy.

COI has 3 lakes. Lake 1=Swimming, Lake 2=Boating/canoeing/Fishing, Lake 3=unknown and terrifying monsters known to eat young scouts alive.

Words of warning: In order to protect camp, only camp vehicles are permitted past the parking lot. Equipment can be placed into a camp vehicle and a staff member can take it up for you, your trailer can be towed to your campsite (only certain camps have trailer access) or pack it in.

COI features Adirondack camping. Adirondacks are 3 sided cabins. These typically have an overhang to help shelter scouts/equipment from the weather. Their isn't really any tent camping @ COI unless your First/Second year scouts are going through the "Pathfinder Program" aka Green Bar Bill (or one of a dozen other names outside the BRC.) Adirondacks are definitely nicer than tents! A few cabins are available (4?)

Attendance @ the campfires on Sunday and Friday (skits, opening/closing ceremony, troop presentations) nights is REQUIRED! The Wednesday night campfire (parent's night & OA call out ceremony, and indian dancing) is highly recommended. Historically the campfires are first rate since staff members create original skits (ala SNL) since recycling skits is frowned upon.

Fires in individual campsites is absolutely forbidden.

Finally, giving the staff member assigned to your troop a "token of appreciation" such as a troop hat or T-shirt from your unit does wonders in getting you first in line for a meal or two, and just maybe a prime checkout time.

• 8 months later...

I will agree with everyone who has said COI is the best Scout camp! May be a little prejudiced since it is my Council, but without a doubt the camp staff MAKES the camp. I have had the priviledge of running Cub Scout Resident Camp held just before summer camp begins at COI and worked closely with the Scout staff. Now as a SM and attending camp for a week each summer, I get to see up close again just how talented, knowledgeable and enthusiastic the staff members are.

Scoutleaderxvi gives an excellent picture of the camp's facilities. One thing has changed however - the Pathfinder program has changed in the last couple of years and no longer takes the Scouts out on an overnighter.

Camp Old Indian is also going through a face lift with a new Trading Post and plans for new adirondacks and shower/bathhouses.

My son has worked on staff at COI for several years and is signed on again for summer '06. Even though he could certainly earn more money and work less hours this summer doing what some people call "a real job" he says he wouldn't miss the opportunity to work at camp.

We have many out of council troops attend during the summer and I can only guess that it's because COI is the absolute best in program and staff.