Anyone need a river rat on their high adventure staff...

Well, looks like I won't be returning to my old haunts this summer. For some weird reason I've been offered a staff demotion. So, instead of running a white water expedition program the powers that be wants me to serve as a shooting sports assistant at one of their base camps. Great job for an 18 year old with no staff experience wanting to learn the ropes, but..... Needless to say, I'm not interested. So I'll either be looking for another camp, or just maybe say the heck with it this year and head out on the Pacific Crest Trail for a month or more....

Le Voyageur

We have a summer camp with aquatics area. no white water but a nice tidal change of an average 18ft per day. Not much in a swimming program but canoeing, rowing, and sea kayaking is offered. there is are is a glacier that is a half days hike from the camp.

No idea if they are looking for that staff position but normally they are

YIS

Thanks all...

been in contact with another high adventure base that may have an open slot on their staff.

However, it's still a bit of befuddlement of being offered such a position, while the camp is still short several senior directors needed to fill out it's staff, and stay in compliance with NCS requirements for those programs....

It is a befuddlement???

Last year, our ecology director (complete with PhD in biology) "demoted" himself to the position of archery instructor. Given his skills and the skills of others, it was the best thing to do. He seemed to enjoy himself in the position much more as well. Don't be afraid to give the "lowly" positions a chance. You may find them much more rewarding than the prestigious or powerful ones.

I understand what you're saying....but, with 22 years of military experience in Intell/SpecWar I'm no stranger to firearms. Additionally, as a historical re enactor I've considerable experience with blackpowder. In a nutshell, I've more experience than than the 20 something year old Shooting Sports Director.

That's the first befuddlement, the second is the newhire who will run the program that I've oversaw for three seasons...a kayaker with no experience leading or guiding crews downriver in canoes on a week long trek. With none of the old crew returning to handhold the guy for the first couple of weeks, it'll make for a very interesting summer for a lot of folks. However, Week One, Day 2 is the concern....2.5 miles of CIII's through a boulder garden in loaded canoes....

Well, as I've said before, it's a befuddlement...

That certainly is an odd situation. Are those responsible for building the staff the same individuals who hired you the past two years?

I would offer to hire you if we had any river treks. Unfortunately, the best we can do are man-made lakes. ;-) Our small camp's budget would not be attractive, either.

The answer is yes.....and they know full well that I'm not a base camper. Well, if they're wanting new blood for thier programs, then so be it....time to move on to someplace else as I see it.

However, kinda looking at this as a good thing, since I'm really getting the urge to attempt one of my more crazier solo expeditions that I've been putting off..