Citizenship in the Nation MB

Well, I'm jumping into Boy Scouts with both feet as my son crosses over. I volunteered to teach Citizenship in the Nation at the next Merit Badge College/Day.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of some games to keep things moving and interesting. Dividing the boys up into teams like in College Bowl and have them answer questions.

sctmom,

That sounds like fun, but let me play devil's advocate here. Won't that game only test the knowledge of the one scout who answers correctly first. How will you know if the other scouts know the material.

Most Merit Badge College/Day type events do not meet the merit badge advancement standards of the BSA.

Group instruction is an approved method but you must still devise a way to test the knowledge of each scout individually. (se Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures manual)

Your College Bowl game could be a pre-test to wet their learning appetite, but it would then need to be followed by actual instruction, and finished with a way to test each individual scout. Otherwise has the scout really learned? Have we created effective advancement or just convenient advancement?

Some things to consider,

Bob

I am thinking more along the lines of the games helping teach the ideas, not to test them. Doing some instruction, tell them to take notes, then playing the game as a way to reinforce the facts they need to know.

We can't meet all of the requirements. Especially visiting a federal installation, state capitol or the national Capitol.

I thought I would have a few current issues for them to consider writing letters to Congress about. Some may finish their letter that day and some may not. Maybe an open forum to discuss both sides of some of these issues. I need to find some issues that boys this age would be affected by directly and would be interested in.

I just don't want to be a repeat of Social Studies class, droning on and on for 6 hours and the boys get nothing out of it. I want to have chances for them to get up and move around a bit, yet still learn.

I guess my question is still the same. How will you individually test each scout to see if they undersood was was taught?

As I read the requirements you can teach #s 2,3,6,7 and part of 5. You could even use the game you sugest to have the scouts teach each other. You still need to test them individually.

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just wondering how you might do this particular type of MB in this specific forum and meet the guidelines of the advancement program.

Bob

I have found quizes online from where others have taught this in the same type forum. I am also considering let the group play a game, while I discuss the necessary items one-on-one with the scouts.

From what I see, a lot of folks teach this in a group setting and sign off on requirements. So, I'm sure that of all the folks who read this forum, somebody has some ideas on what to do and what not to do.

I'm not saying it can't be taught this way. I think it can be. I think teaching each other through games is a very creative approach.

It's just that the advance regulations of the BDA require the scouts be TESTED individually. Since the Scouts cannot do everything required of this badge in one class sitting anyway, I'm suggesting that you make this a higher quality experience by teaching the info and not testing it. In other words don't sign the cards. Have the scouts meet with you or another qualified MB counselor at another time so that each can be tested on there own knowledge.

Bob

No offense Bob, but LOL.

Qualified merit badge counselors? Surely you jest.

That seems to be a serious problem in this area. Seriously, this is a district wide event, covering a very large rural area. So the boys can't meet with me later and there is a chance the only "counselor" they will see is an adult leader in their troop. I do not plan on just handing them the badge. But having never taught a merit badge class, I need ideas so I don't have them falling asleep or rioting within the first few hours.

Even general tips on teaching this type of information would be appreciated. Hard to be "hands on" when talking about the government and laws, unlike teaching cooking or knot tying.

I understand you are new to Boy Scouting sctmom, and I really do applaud your willingness to get involved. I would hope that your enthusiasm carries into wanting to understand the methods of the program.

In order to be a MB counselor you need to register with the local scout council as one. On the counselor application you have to show evidence of proficiency in the area either through specific training, career experience or experienced hobbiest.

I still like your College Bowl game or maybe a Jeopardy style game could work. These are teaching aids and you still require a testing method that will allow you to evaluate the individual knowledge of each scout rather than the combined knowledge of the group.

As an example. In rifle and shot gun MB you can teach firearms safety and parts of the gun and even aiming methods to the group. Then Each person must shoot their own rounds at their own targets to prove their individual proficiency.

It would be a poor measure to let some scouts each take a few shots at the same targets, get a sufficient score and then pass the entire group based on the prowess of a few.

Like in the rifle course you need a method to test each scout individually after they have been presented the MB information.

So settling on a teaching method is only part of effevtive teaching, you still need a testing method.

Dad, Thanks for the links.

Bob, I understand where you are coming from, but let's please not get knee deep in the discussion of the value of teaching merit badges in a group. The council choose the badges they are offering, I was asked along with many other parents if anyone would step forward and teach a class. There were a handful of classes that needed instructors. I have taught Webelos and I have taught adults. I know more about the national government than what is covered in the handbook. Also, I'm a person who CAN get up in front of a group of 20 and talk, many people cannot and will not. The class will happen with me or without me. I heard stories of people walking down the hall being pulled in to teach a class right then!

After this I will volunteer to help with the issue of registering Merit Badge Counselors in advance. But right now my focus is on giving the best I can to these boys on that day without boring them to death (the bodies are such a bother to dispose of).

Most of the requirements are "discuss" not "repeat from memory". One is to "outline" and one is "write a letter". I want to give them some ideas of issues to write about. Get them started on the letter and have them finish it later and get sign off at the troop level.

My 5th grader has covered a lot of this in his Social Studies class over the past 2 years, so I know the boys have heard some of this before. How do I keep it lively? How do you keep any class like this lively?

Thanks again Dad. These links are great. And I PROMISE to keep all personal political conversation out of the discussions. :)

Dad, you have boys....what are some national issues they would care about? Something they are affected by and would have an opinion on. Something they would WANT to write a letter about.

How about you take the documents listed in requirement 1, and reprint them in sevtions on large pieces of paper. break the group up into teams and have them put the phrases in order to recreate the document.

Requirement two, discuss how scouting is a microcasm of the federal government. with the SPL as the elected executive branch, the PLC as the elected legislature and the troop committee as the judiciary. discuss the checks and balances within the unit (assuming the unit uses the actual scouting program and patrol method)and how they mirror the process that runs our government.

Create a chart that shows relationships between state and federal govwernment. Leave title boxes blank. give the group index cards with the titles on them and as you moderate the discussion have them place the cards in the appropriate locations.

requirement 5 give the group or sub groups news[apers have them find articles on ste or national issues. Have them each identify an issue to form an opinion on and write down a couple of lines that summarize their opinion and who it should be addressed to.

requirement 6- invite a state or federal politician in to explain 5 or 6 functions of the government. Break the group into 5 buzz groups, have them each identify how those functions affect their families and their lives.

requirement 7 Have you got a local IRS office?