Adults as shepherds?

Great question, FOG,

To some extent, it might matter why the adults are shepherding the boys. Is the reason

1) safety

2) ensuring that the boys maximize their badges earned, learning,etc.

If the former, then you need to look at the camp layout, structure, etc. and do what is necessary to ensure the safety of the boys

If the latter, then some training of the adults may be in order. Maybe some adult related activities or else a set of easy chairs to enable the adults to join with the SM ("The test of a good SM is the easy chair.") I have read about "hyperparenting" and being an adult at Scout camp may be another place where hyperparenting can come into play.

Eagle Dad commented, "We have never had a scout get lost or complain. We have had scouts skip class, but that is not the adults problem other than living by the scout law. In just about every instance however, the scout suffers the consequences as his friends earn badges and advances while he stands there watching."

I wish that you were here. Too many of the adults in my troop think that their job is making sure that the Scouts get their badges at summer camp.

NeilLup, saftey isn't an issue. I think that Scout Camps may be some of the safest places in the modern world except for the bears that visit the tents of the new adults in the wee hours of the morning (we aren't supposed to haze Scouts but no one said anything about hazing adults). I think that much has to do with the inability of adults to let go.

Too bad the bear at Goose Pond Scout Reservation didn't get the memo about not "hazing" scouts. Then again the scout should not have had food in his tent else the bear wouldnt have visited him.

I know this isnt what FOG was talking about, but, when "they" say no food in the tent, "they" have reasons

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/103-07022003-117903.html(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)