Camp Qualifications in ?????

Since 1997,I used to be a Camp Director, Program Director, and Commissioner for our Annual Scout Camp here. Because of the rebuilding last year due to the two typhoons that hit us in 2002, we started planning camp late. In fact, we just started last Thursday. I know were behind the power curve with camp scheduled in June.

Anyway during the meeting we discussed potential sites on island, food requirements, volunteers, the normal stuff until we started discussing positions. The biggest concern for me is the waterfront.

When I attended National Camp School 3 years ago. The Trainers mentioned that the Waterfront Director must be BSA Aquatics Instructor Certified. Not a problem, many of us took the class, which was the weekend, after NCS class, BUT many of the leaders who took the certification, including mine, expires this June 15th. Our NCS certification expired last December 2003.

Now during the meeting last week, our DE informed us that we don't need a certified Aquatics Instructor for the WaterFront Director. We could get a waiver from council. Also we don't need certified BSA Lifeguards for the waterfront. We could use ARC certified lifeguards.

Our DE claims the Camp Program Requirements have changed. Does anyone know of this change or changes?

Now I'm concerned that he is under pressure from Council to have a camp. This was mentioned many times during RT's or at other meetings. So I believe, he is taking short cuts to make this camp happen at the expense of Safety.

I don't have the current Camp Program that council usually sends us. So if you have the current reference, please let me know.

Matua(This message has been edited by matuawarrior)

I don't have a problem with the ARC Lifeguard Certification. The ARC and BSA have just entered into a reciprocity agreement, and we are taking steps to have our BSA Lifeguard Counsellors dual certified as ARC Water Safety Instructors. Then, when people qualify as BSA Lifeguards, they will also be certified as ARC, provided they meet the age requirement. As far as I know, the Camp Aquatics Director must be BSA Aquatics Instructor certified via Camp School. At our camp, the AD and the Waterfront Director are not the same person, since we have a pool and a "Waterfront".

Your question is insightful and will be respected.

Request your answer in writing. The BSA loves to write and has a long paper trail. They are as careful as you are and they want to avoid the same consequences you infer in your thread.

FB