Foreign Scouters on Staff

Is anybody aware of the process for a camp to apply for or get a foreign scouter to work on staff? I am working with the program director and said I would give him a hand with this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

The Fish

Lets just say that he isnt exactly an individual who is easily encouraged to do his job, is there any way that a lowly area director or program director can do anything about it. Also is there anyway to choose where this scout comes from. Being as I speak German I would be enthralled to have a phadfinder from Germany, Austria, or Switzerland.

We have already tried going through the council program director. Is there an organization or branch of the BSA at a national or regional level who would be able to help out. I have no problem with using the councils program director however its getting close enough to the start of the resident camp season that Im worried we wont be able to find a foreign scouter. Personally I simply want a foreign staff member at camp, it is an invaluable experience for all involved. I have contacted a few individuals in northern Germany to see if they have friends, or friends of friends who would be interested, the disadvantage to this is that they would barely be able to pay off the trip with what they would make working at my camp. I was hoping that by going through proper channels we could get the individual flown over here at a lower cost to them, so that they may have some spending money here in the states.

Unless it is run through your council you cant get one. The process is long and has many BSA and US immigration hoops to go through. If you dont have backing of the Council you might as well forget about it for this year and start working on the powers that be in your Council for next year.

Be very careful about them there Foreign Staff members - Some of them come back and never go home !!

It does need to go through the Council, who will need to apply to the International Divison.

The hard thing is the visa that is needed.

It has been a long time since I was the International Counsoler and we have as a council had a few over the past five or six years. I don't know how much choice the Council has about who you get. We had one chap from Korea that didn't speak a word of English. But HECK when I came here I didn't speak a word of American - Some say that I still don't.

I would think that you have left it too late for 2004. But you might want to call the Internation Division in Texas.

Eamonn

Not sure if this is pertinent but the application for the International Scouters Award under the heading: Giving leadership to international events held in the United States.

- Assist in the organization of your council's participation in the International Camp Staff program. Be responsible for bringing a foreign Scout to the council's summer camp program for two summer camp seasons.

When I looked this up I found that I had completed all the requirements for the award. So I went ahead and applied for it.

Thanks for bringing it up.

Eamonn