First Year Camper Program at Summer Camp

All,

Need some help. I've been appointed "Director" of the Camp Joy First Year Camper Program. I would like any and all suggestions comments, complaints and compliments, not to mention experiences with this. My goal is to make these young Scouts want to come back to summer camp, have fun, and learn the basics. (Have fun should have been first)

I haven't written anything down, just stuff bouncing around in my head.

Here are some of my ideas.

1. I want it to be fun. I don't want the kids to think they are in school.

2. Looking at having the kids attend a morning or afternoon session.

If a kid does the morning session I want him to have the afteroon to take a merit badge class, swim with the troop, etc...you get the picture.

3. Would like them to knock out as many requirements for First Class.

4. Want Adult leaders in camp that week to help out.

5. Kids can earn Totin Chip and Firman Chit.

6. Want to kids to learn and not just get signed off on the requirements.

The Troop I'm with pulled off a great BSA 101 campout last year so I'm going to use some of those ideas.

So give it to me.

Purcelce, when I did it three years ago, it was downright terrible. All I ask if it is better than that:)

I would say one thing that we did that wasnt very good was constantly playing games of some sort. I think you should play one or two the whole week. We were playing tag or something every day.

When our troop went to summer camp last year the First Year Camper program came to our campsite. They had a staff of about 6 to 8 and each camp site picked either morning or afternoon sessions. A staffer came to our camp site and worked with our scouts one on one with just what they needed from their books. The whole first year program did do a hike on Thursday afternoon. This seemed to work quite well. We are going back to that camp this year. Our of our Scouts liked it alot.

Dancin

Intersting thoughts dancin!!!

Can you send me some more info or put me in contact with your council's camp director?

This would also put some ownership of the program with the unit

Could have "classes" for all on Totin chip, fireman chit, and compas/hike.

Come on you guys should have some more ideas :)(This message has been edited by purcelce)

One idea that might work for you is to have the first year campers (as a whole or in groups) visit different areas of camp on different days and work with a staffer from that area. They could do actual requirements or just participate in activities particular to the area. The scouts would be taken to the areas by a first-year program staffer, of course, and the rest of the week would be spent as a first-year group. I think that letting the scouts experience the entire camp helps them to retain interest and learn about opportunities. It also keeps the first year program staffers from having to specialize in several areas or deliver a homogenous program. A potential problem with this is the ability (and perhaps willingness) of specific area staffers to schedule in some time with first year campers.

I also think that first year campers should be given plenty of free time. This may go against conventional camp "wisdom," but filling a new scout's entire week with structured program can leave an unpleasant impression.

Just keep the important points that you have highlighted in mind.

"I want it to be fun. I don't want the kids to think they are in school."

"Want to kids to learn and not just get signed off on the requirements."

For games, touch base with a C.O.P.E. Director for ideals on games that build teamwork

Keep the class dynamic, not static. They've just spent 9 months sitting in a classroom. Get them outdoors, and involved with their enviroment.

Have a project that each patrol will have to teach to the other patrols...

Tap into training ideals from JLT, Woodbadge, C.O.P.E., NCS, NOLS and etc.....

I'm not a big fan of the "go to camp and earn a bunch of merit badges" model.

My ideas go along the lines of the ideas put forth by Adrianvs. Let the first year scouts do "Fun stuff" for most of the day.

Each day, let them go and have a couple hour introduction to different activities or even a couple activities each day. A couple hours canoeing, a couple spent in archery, a couple hours at the rifle range, a couple hours swimming, a couple hours rock climbing, a couple more hours swimming, etc..

In this model, the boys would go home and when mom and dad ask, "What did you at camp?" Instead of saying, "I made mocassins" or "I made a basket too small to be useful", he can say "I went canoeing and shooting and swimming and . . . and . . ."

A big chunk of the rest of the time could be spent on first class requirement but they should be done well and properly. An hour spent on first aid for a few days. Fire building for a couple hours. Knots and lashings for an hour each for a few days.

Maybe ONE merit badge like wood carving which would be tied into the Tot'n Chip material.

I'm personally not a fan of the First Year camper programs. At our council camp, it's essentially a hundred or so kids in a field playing games, supervised by a group of inexperienced 14 year old first year campers. They earn Totin' Chip, Firemn Chit, and an array of Tenderfoot, 2nd Class & 1st Class requirements. Of course, there is the one senior staffer who is in charge, but he's so busy fighting fires, that he really doesn't get to supervise the program.

We encourage our first year scouts to take a few simple merit badges (basketry, wood carving, etc.) and Swimming MB (if they're able). Then leave some time to fish, swim and work on scout skills in the campsite.

I made a mistake this past year as I over-booked our first year scouts. They all signed up for five MBs, and were simply too busy. We'll stress leaving at least one hour for free time this year.

I'd like to think that your First-Year camper program is working along the lines of exposing these new Scouts to the First Class advancement requirements and not sending the boys home thinking that they've done everything and 'where are my badges'

Lots of this material is better covered in a Scouts home Troop over time than by just plugging them into a program and spitting them out the other end.

There may be a few that disagree with this viewpoint...

Buffalo2 wrote , "I'd like to think that your First-Year camper program is working along the lines of exposing these new Scouts to the First Class advancement requirements and not sending the boys home thinking that they've done everything and 'where are my badges' "

The program I working is not going to be this.

What do you suggest...that's why I'm asking for help. Others have shown what they don't like about the program and have given ideas on how to improve it.

Same questions goes to EagleinKY.

purcelce - Thanks for asking. You're taking the right steps to at least find out what troops expect from your program. (BTW - Scott AFB was always our first stop on our Philmont trips. It's been a while, but I'll never forget those adventures).

Here are some of my thoughts:

1 - Leadership ratio needs to be addressed. From what I've seen, ratios of 20:1 or higher (scouts to staff) are not unusual. I'd rather see more of a patrol size ratio. 8-10 scouts per staffer. These staffers can be junior level or even CITs. Then you need a senior staffer, probably a 16-18 yo Eagle with every 3-4 junior staffers. That way you at least have a chance of managing the chaos.

2 - The program should focus on introducing the boys to this fun game we call Scouting. It should be a combination of scout skills, games, outdoor skills and the like. I would even suggest some basic JLT/Patrol Method stuff. The difficult part is that each troop operates a little different, so it's difficult to go very deep with that information. Bottom line - the activities should be scouting-related fun. If it's just playing tag and capture the flag, you're really not any different than any other summer camp offering (or maybe even worse).

3 - Regarding advancement - don't promise or sign-off on requirements. I would recommend a - forgive the term - "report card" at the end of the week. Tell us that Johnnie is proficient at this, a novice at that... let us make the judge as to whether the requirements are checked off, reviewed or re-taught.

4 - Work in a trip to different areas of camp. For example, let them all get a round in at the rifle range and archery range. At our camp, free shoot time is nearly non-existent. First year scouts aren't allowed to take the MBs (you have to be 13), so most of them never get on the range. They see this as a step back from Webelos camp, where they got to do BB and archery every day. You could also work in one day of swimming, and let your swimmers go out in canoes or row boats for a short time. They would have a blast, and maybe get a little excited about coming back next year and taking one of those MBs. Of course, these would require coordination with the heads of those areas, and that is probably where the problem lies. They have their class schedules to keep, so you constantly fight with that.

Good luck. I hope these help.

we have "footsteps" at Camp Hiawatha. Basically it's a little pavilion where first year scouts pretty much just show up to work on basic ranks and skills. It isn't scheduled so you can do it whenever you decide to, unless you set up a time or something with a counselor. There are a few old comissioners and other old farts that hang out there and offer some guidance to whomever comes in. Basically it's a one on one tenderfoot, 2nd clas, 1st class workshop area. Of course in the Scoutcraft area, where this pavillion is located, the staff puts on totin' chip and firem'n chit sessions whenever a few people stop by and ask, so pretty much everybody who needs that gets it right away.

As for things like structured games, our camp doesn't like to limit them to first year campers. In the evening during free time there is allways ultimate frisbee, touch football, or volleyball games being organized in a corner of the parade ground. There is also a little obstacle course there that kids can run with minor supervision. We also have IIRC Bachi ball sets, NERF lawn darts I think mabey, and a few extra footballs, frisbees, and basketballs for the one, short hoop on a 10X20 concrete slab by the OA building.

Our first year program does focous on getting the basic requirements for the first few ranks done mostly, and the camp program in general is fun enough so that nobody feels left out.

We also offer the Audobon Jenkins award. You need to meet some criteria and participate in some level in every area of camp, and I think earn atleast a badge or two, and you get a patch and pin.

We also have like 6 ecology hikes, a 5 mile hike for the, what is it, 2nd class requirement, of course open swim and open rifle and archery.......come to think of it, you all should just come up here next year! (I'm on staff) Good Luck!