BSA Lifeguard

Hey all...I am in need of a source for some good lesson plans for teaching BSA Lifeguard. I've been to camp school and have all the stuff for it but if somebody has already been there and done that I would be most appreciative of any help you can give.

TIA!

Hi Aqua, and welcome to the campfire! Don't get too close and drip on it!

I am a Lifeguard Counselor. The BSA Lifeguard Counselor Guide has all the lesson plans in it. You should not deviate from it. My biggest complaint is that Scouts show up with Swimming and Lifesaving MB on their sash, but can't swim the length of the pool with any semblance of a "strong manner". Too many camps are Merit Badge mills and all the scout has to do is show up for a majority of the sessions and he gets the badge, then he's disappointed when he finds that BSALG is not a "gimme". There was another thread on this forum several months ago (do a search on "Lifeguard" which discussed these issues. BSA Lifeguard, properly taught, is a rigorous course, both physically and mentally. I firmly believe this is one course where shortcuts should not be allowed, because the skills not learned can cost a life one day.

You should also make sure that the potential candidates understand that CPR certification is required and/or arrange to have it taught along with the BSALG course. I hate spending a week teaching a course and having to give them a partial.

Sorry for the soapbox. I probably didn't answer your question.

Hi Aquaman,

I'm sorta confused (not a new state for me), Didn't they give you the Counselors guide at camp school? Which certification did you get?

Something else to think about, with the new partnership with the Red Cross some of the info on BSA lifeguard has changed recently. How current was your trip to camp school, and I'm curious if anything was mentioned about this.

Thanks

BW

Thanks to scoutldr and Bob White for their quick replies to my questions. I'll do my best to explain my situation. I attended camp school at Camp Cedars in Nebraska in May of 2001. I do have the instructors manual and such for BSALG, but given my penchant for obsessive detail and planning I am wondering about and looking for "extra" stuff, hints, tips and such on how to better apply and present the lesson plans in the given manuals.

Thanks again!

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I am a certified BSA Lifeguard, but my certification runs out next year as of July. I was wondering if anyone knew of a place where I could re-new my Certification near the Hudson Valley Council in NY area. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I have taken the BSA lifeguard course at both Treasure Island in the Cradle of Liberty Council and Camp Roosevelt in Southern Jersey Council.

At Roosevelt, the director added scenarios on the last day. Candidates were put in the boat house and called out to an emergency situation, where the canidates had to assess the situation, go through the reach, throw, row, go, and react. If the canidate did not react correctly, the director gave the thumbs down, signalling the victims to attack the rescuer. Sounds sadistic, but it was alot of fun. Each canidate had to react to three situations, with varying resources available. While it did not affect the final passing or not, it was a great tool allowing the canidates a chance to evaluate their own decision making process.

Feel free to use it.

I completed BSA Lifeguard in 2001. My son took American Red Cross Lifeguard Training this summer. I have the new BSAL instructors manual to review for the recertification and it has difinitely changed.