Council Cub Scout Day Camp Chair

I forgot whether Gidget or Joni asked me the question, but the answer is, no, there is not a different Day Camp School for the military. There may be some military regulations inserted where applicable, but the syllabus is the same.

I think we've all dealt with difficult, but well-meaning volunteers who insist things be run their way and that scare good people off. Lord konws I've seen my share of those in 15 years in the profession and I'm sure I'll find them in every council I'm going to serve for the next 25+ years I have before retirement.

How you deal with those volunteers varies according to situation, relationship, your personal guts, etc.

The cases that frustrate me as a professional the most are the ones where the other volunteers, who are in fact peers of the troublesome volunteer regardless of title, are so intimidated by the troublesome volunteer's training, tenure, number of cats in the house, etc. to stand up and say, "This is my job. I was recruited to do it and if you want to help me, let me do the job!"

Gidget's last response to Joni was a bit emotional, but I agree with it.

If the meddlesome volunteer chooses to go away in a huff when Joni stands up to her, that's the volunteer's choice. Most of the time, I've found that they shape up in a hurry and feel better for having their self-imposed "burden" lifted. Ohm, they may feel stiffed at first and go away thinking, "Her way won't work. I tried to help and she told me to go pound sand." But, when your plan does work, they'll be back.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck and be strong.

Dave

Thank you Gidget and dsteele. I honestly believe I can work with this person and I hope she proves me right. I do really appreciate her tenure, experience as a Scouter, and her determination to have a great Day Camp. I just hope she shows similar qualities concerning working with others and will start backing off a little without me having to push her.

What makes it even worse is she is the Leader of my daughter's Senior Girl Scout Troop AND I am the Troop Cookie Mom this year. So I really have to work with her as tactfully as possible. I don't want any negativity to spill over into my daughter's lap or affect my cookie mom job!

She really was angry that District hadn't nominated her over me for Camp Director though. It showed, she was snapping at people and then assumed a position that just didn't exist. It's almost like delusions of grandeur or something.

I will keep you "posted" :-)

By the way Gidget, so far I think you are making a WONDERFUL Council Cub Scout Day Camp Chair!!! I do thank you for the advice.

I didn't mean to steal thunder with my whining about my situation. Consider it a dry test-run for a Day Camp issue I hope you never have show up on your desk or on your phone!