ideas for first time camp scoutmaster

I'll concede that MBs aren't the primary purpose of summer camp. But, for those of your trying to ensure they fill slack time with wholesome endeavors, I recommend you encourage your Scouts to get into at least one crafts-related MB (leather/metal/wood). The project work will keep them busy.

Especially for the first-year campers, ensure that somebody is providing them topcover so they understand their schedules, are getting where they need to be, and getting done what they need to. Good opportunities for leadership lessons for PLs/SPLs, too -- attention to detail, delegating, multi-tasking.

Good luck.

KS

Barry,

Magic is what's called a Collectible Card Game (CCG). It was the first of many that game out beginning around 1993. Oh - wow - 10 years ago - I'm getting old(er). Today being by birthday isn't helping things...

It's like the traditional card game War (my king beats your jack), but instead the cards can represent creatures that you send to attack your opponent, or spells you can cast to make yourself stronger, damage an opponent, or damage an opponents creature. You start with 20 hit points, and when you get "damaged", it slowly goes down to 0, at which point, you lose, curse the luck of the draw, and start over.

The key marketing gimmick is the "collectible" aspect - some cards are rarer than others (usually the more powerful cards, of course). The game has changed since I stopped playing around 97/'98, but not all that much. Same basic rules, just new "editions" to buy. The good thing is that it can be played with anywhere from 2 to 5 (or more) players. The bad thing is that it is addictive, and you can look at your watch and go "we've been playing for how long?!".

Later "spin-offs" of this CCG are Pokemon and Yu-gi-o (sp?)(Japanese cartoons) based games, but I think most Boy Scouts would have outgrown these by now, but maybe not. My nephews haven't gotten to that age yet, so I can't tell.

I think that should about do it. If for some reason you need more info, just let me know.

And on the original thread topic - additional board games to consider would be Stratego and Risk.

1 1/2 more weeks to summer camp! Guess I should start packing...

--Gags

Happy Birthday Gags.

I had no idea what these card are.

But now I know.

My son outgrew them in grade school.

I remember paying out for the pokemon cards.

Then there was the Pokemon games for the Game boy. These were great for him in the car.

Now he plays DVD's on his laptop.

(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to thank everyone for all their advice. We had a great time, with a VERY steep learning curve. The boys tried to convince us that they had a daily siesta time between the last merit badge 3 till dinner 6 Being the mom's that we are, this did not sound right, so we kicked them out to various free time activities. Proud to announce that with 14 boys, we passed off 47 merit badges, two incompletes and had 5 boys move onto next rank one boy jumped from tenderfoot to first class! We had them out there with their compasses orientering that course for hours! By the end of the week they were very proud of themselves and their accomplishments. We will volunteer again next year, at the boys request. Thanks again

Gtwnmassage:

Sounds like you and the Scouts had a great week at camp. Congratulations and thank you for your time. I hope the Scouts ask you for an encore.

Before anyone jumps on you, may I suggest a couple of language amendments to part of your post -- terminology, I assure you, but it points to philosphy and some will jump on the terms. I don't intend to be snide -- merely helpful.

"Proud to announce that with 14 boys, we passed off 47 merit badges, two incompletes and had 5 boys move onto next rank one boy jumped from tenderfoot to first class! "

Instead of passed off 47 merit badges, I think (in the parlance of BSA speak) you meant "the Scouts completed 47 merit badges." We passed off 47 merit badges sounds like they were gifts to the Scouts. From what I read in your previous posts, I find that unlikely.

By incompletes, I think you meant "partials." That's the official term for partial completion or the completion of some, but not all, requirements. We're talking shades here, but they're important to the boys. Partial means unfinished business to be finished later rather than incomplete which means an effort begun, but not necessarily finished without starting over.

The last part of the quote I leave as is because it's great news and very well phrased. Some folk don't like the fact that going from Tenderfoot to First Class can be done at summer camp or even simultaneously . .. but the fact is that it can happen under the current requirements.

Again, congratulations on a great week at summer camp.

DS

Thanks for correcting my terminology... your corrections are well....correct! As for the scout who went from Tenderfoot to First Class, he has been in our troop for over 3 years, and had just few items in each rank to complete, till camp this year there was no fire under him and he did not attend all the events .. sports and other outside events were more important, our policy is not to push, we let the scout and his parents decide how far he wanted to go. Now his mom tells me he is contacting eagle merit badge counselors. Interestingly, in most of the pictures I took of the scouts around the camp sight, he is in the background, scout book in hand. For this scout and the others that moved in rank, it was because we sent them to brownsea events. So THEY DID THE WORK hurrahhhh!!!