What did he forget?

Here's a tip Sager,

Rather than do separate bags for each clothing type, pack a chnge of clothes to a bag.

So one bag has underwear, a pair or two of socks (if you have liners), a t-shirt and shorts. That way as you put on clean clothes the dirty ones go into the now empty bag. Keeps your pack organized and smelling fresh.

BW

The camp or troop should supply a list of what is needed. That should cover just about everything.

If he likes to fish, let him take his rod. If wants to take Magic or Yu-gi-oh cards, let him.

Don't forget his meds. Make sure that those go along. Camp isn't much different from school (my doctor disagrees but he has no children and has never been to Scout Camp). All day long he'll be going from one activity to another that requires him to pay attention and be reasonably calm.

Be sure to mark everything that goes with your son with his name. That includes water bottles, handbooks, clothes, notebooks, toothbrushes, etc. I try to check the camp lost and found on Friday evening to look for anything that one of my Scouts has lost. Interesting what you can find.

We got to camp yesderday and he set up his bunk with his sleeping pad, bag and misquito netting. Guess what we forgot???? His pillow!

Yes, I drove home to get it. We're only about 30 minutes from camp, so not too big a deal. Now, if he forgets it next year, he's on his own.

Can't wait to hear how things went! and if we forgot anything else!

FOG - you grasp the issue on the ziploc bags nicely.

Bob - I've tried the total change of clothes in a bag but found it an unsatisfactory system as I tend to wash them up as I go, and differential drying rates wreak havoc on the plan as I'd end up mixing and matching fresh from bag and dry off line. Since I go to camp for a week with Class A's, two pair shorts and two t-shirts, and a somewhat more generous supply of underthings - I really must wash them in order not to offend.

Items I tell the boys to bring every year (and they don't) is a pen, paper, and a watch. They also usually forget the bug spray.

However, more for leaders than adults, the tent can act as a big black hole for their possessions. I don't know how many times I had a youth ask to borrow something, I then asked if he had brought the item and he would look down at his shoes and mutter, it's in my tent but I can't find it.

As it turns out, the only thing mt son forgot (besides the pillow) was his Scout Spirit. He was miserable and hated everything about camp. Wouldn't eat, had a bad attitude, got in trouble with his merit badge counselor etc... Never complained that he wanted to come home, though. I'm trying to be patient and wait for the good stuff to slip out, but, boy, am I frustrated! I wanted him to really enjoy this time away, but I guess his expectations (or maybe it was my expectations)were too high.

He can't wait to go to his next troop meeting, he just doesn't want to go back to camp! It's a good thing he doesn't have to make that commitment right now, because I have a feeling he'll change his mind by next summer.

My son forgot his pants!! And, he needed them to do his OA Ordeal, so.....he used mine! We traded them back and forth because we both did a C.O.P.E (Challenging Outdoor Personal Experience=Fear Factor to me:) ) course in which long pants were required. I gave him alot of ribbing, and kept telling him "Hey! nice pants" :)

Sparkie(This message has been edited by Sparkie)

scoutmom, could it just be that this is the way your son "adjusted" to a new experience? Some kids get homesick. Maybe yours just came home not liking camp--as in not liking being away or it not being what he expected or it being too uncomfortable, etc. I have a son who tells me he is missing a friend of his (they were never close!) every time something major happens in his life. It's not really the problem he has, but it's easier to say that than to try to grasp and deal with whatever else is going on (dad out of work, cousin with cancer, moving). Also, if he didn't like the food, it could be that he was just plain hungry :)

When my son came home from camp, he was telling me how things went, and one of the things I learned was that one boy forgot shirts. He went up in his Scout uniform shirt, but he didn't have one other shirt with him--oops!

FYI about ziploc bags. My son is only just 11, and he isn't a real big kid...yet :) However, he likes his clothes big and baggy. So, they didn't fit into 1 gallon bags well at all. However, I found 2 1/2 gallon ziplocs at Walmart that are PERFECT for packing a day's worth of clothing. Nice and roomy. Somehow though, even with his clothing bagged up by day, he didn't bring home his socks. And I thought it was the dryer that was eating them...sigh...

Laurie,

I did think that perhaps "hating" camp was his way of dealing with homesickness. And now that he's been home awhile, I'm hearing some good things about the experience. (He asked for cold cuts for lunch today, because they had that at camp!)

It turns out, he could have packed half of what he took with him. I was told he wor the same clothes for three days! Took showers each night but put the same clothes back on! All of his socks came home, but half of them went straight in the trash - along with most of his underwear! YUCK - what on earth do they do to their socks and underwear out there in the woods? NEVERMIND - I don't want to know! LOL :)

• 10 months later...

Our unit has a standard list of things to take to summer camp that is an expanded list from that in the Boy Scout Handbook. The first and last item is Scout Spirit.

We encourage everyone to take their gear in a footlocker, plastic tote or some other similar container. Try to get one that locks - might sound needless - but... These containers seem to work better.

We do spot check before we leave - mostly a verbal check - we run down the list and ask all if they have what it needed. Most do.

We don't put many restictions on what can't be brought except of illegal items or those that violate the Scout Oath or Law. Time and experience is the best teacher to Scouts of what to bring or not bring other than the basics.

Summer camp is usually my one and only vacation for the year as well. So I tend to take a few "extras" such as a hammock, pillow, and some other things. I am fairly organized about it and my foot locker pretty much has a standard packing list.

We warn all about keeping snacks, etc in tents due to potential critter raids of those tents. I have seen it happen but it is rare.

The camp we are going to this year, does not have cots - so we have to bring our own. Most of use have one - but I am eager to see what some bring as a cot. A week of uncomfortable sleeping is a good teacher.

We always have a meeting with all Scouts who are going to camp and their parents and provide the parents with a copy of the packing list provided to their Scouts. This helps and some of the parents are Scouters so that helps too. We have two Scouters for whom this will be their first summer camp - they are wisely asking lots of questions of the more experienced Scouters.

The one thing that is always mandatory is a water bottle or canteen that can be carried around. The most common complaint I have experienced from Scouts at summer camp is not feeling well - and upon checking, they are not hydrating adequately. We make them take their water bottles with them everywhere. Water as a drink is not popular with most boys of Scout age but we encourage drinking lots of it.

Hygiene items: Our Scouters and older more experienced Scouts do monitor the Scouts' hygiene. They are encouraged to wash upon waking, before handling food or eating, after using the latrine, and before turning in, etc. We encourage a daily shower. Again, discomfort is a great teacher. When they discover that they feel better after a shower, they just go take one. We have had to tell a few Scouts to go take a shower but that is rare. One of the biggest problems with camp showers is that many, especially those in the campsites have no hot water. Now I don't much enjoy a cold shower either. Does nothing for me other than make me cold and wet - even if it does get some of the dirt off. Fortunately most camp pools have hot water showers, and some campsites to. I enjoy at least one hot shower a day at camp - sometimes several! We encourage Scouts to change into clean socks, underwear, and shirt daily. Again, discomfort is a good teacher. They quickly discover that being clean makes for a more pleasant camp experience - for themselves and those around them! And when they see the Scouers and older Scouts wash and brush their teeth, take showers and wearing clean clothes, they are likely to do the same.

As a unit, we always take extra insect replellent, sun screen, a spare poncho and blanket, etc. Just in case. But most of our Scouts are pretty good about bringing what is needed.

I only remember forgetting one thing for summer camp one year: My own hearing protection for the firing ranges. I had to use those little yellow foam plugs which I do not like. I prefer my own and they are now part of my standard gear on all camping trips. You never know when you might need them.(We have one camp that is completely surrounded by major roads and the traffic noise is terrible - all night long! - Ear plugs help)