camp improvements while at camp?

We're leaving for camp in a few days and have been told that the troop should be making camp improvements to their own site while there. It's a competition thing. Something "new" should be added each day. Sofar the boys have come up with lashing a flagpole for the troop flag, a line to hang towels, swimsuits, etc., and a tri-pod with a fake cast iron pot. Are there any other ideas out there? We're a new troop of 20 scouts and it's the first summer camp for about 3/4 of them. Some cool and fun ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Build a wash bucket, tripod with a bucket with a hole in the bottom, with a piece of wood like a golf tee to turn off and on. (there is a name for this piece of wood but I forget what it is called) Hang a bar of soap in an old nylon off of the tripod. or just have a tripod with a bucket buy a couple cheap plastic measuring cups, drill hole in the bottom of it. Dip cup in bucket hang over the side of bucket from the handle on the cup and wash hands in little stream of water.

Hat rack, coat rack.

Now the best way to do this is to nudge them along, while standing by wash basin, say It sure would be great to have a place to hang our hat or coat while wahing up here.

Let them decide what to build, even if it does not come out like you expect. If they come up with the ideas it will mean so much more to them, than an adult telling them to build this or that.

Have fun at camp!

Dan, we call this a piddlelater.

I'm not sure if you can use the term anymore.

Hey Ed, why did they build it "IN" the latrine? (Joke) Was it peeing down outside ?

With that

A good night to all.

Ed is not that far away, he might be bigger then me.

Some campsite improvements will be temporary in nature. Some will be permanent. Our scouts would accomplish many of the examples above each year, and that earned them the necessary points for what was called 'campsite' improvement. Permanent improvements were called 'camp' improvements, even if done in the troopsite. Those ideas wouldn't come to us until we were actually 'in-camp' and able to see what repairs and improvements might be necessary. The camp ranger usually had a list of repairs and permanent improvements that he saw desireable or necessary. And, he also had the tools and materials necessary to do the job. He just lacked the manpower. Permanent improvements usually involved both Scout and leader efforts.

Thanks everyone for the ideas! I passed them on to my husband, who is the Scoutmaster. He liked all of them. This is his first year at summer camp so he really didn't know what to expect. (we're a very young Troop) Wish em' luck at camp as most are first timers and are only 11 or 12 and it's their first time away. At the same time, I'm a Cubmaster and am taking our cubs to summer camp. I have to deal with 30 parents plus boys.....so wish ME luck please. Thanks again!

Theresa~ ps- I especailly liked the walkway idea- now throw in a few potted plants and wind chimes and I'd be happy...lol. oops - I was getting mixed up with my mom's weekend away retreat! lol!