What is your favorite way to be welcomed home after a week of camping?

My son is heading home tomorrow from Curtis Read Scout Reservation, Camp Bucksin, in upstate New York. That is easily 8 hours from home, and he's been sleeping in a tent away from all family for one full week, just turned 11, and has never been to summer camp before. So, when he comes home, what is the best way to welcome him? Favorite foods, just let him head to bed (freshly made up and waiting for him :) ), or???

This mom is getting pretty excited about hearing about camp and about having my son home again. The days are suddenly longer with him away.

A big hug, kiss and an "I missed you" regardless of the dirt and smell. That is what I always want when I walk thru the door.......before being told to immediately take my smelly clothes off in the garage and head straight for the shower! LOL

A favored home cooked meal or take out for dinner is a great way to welcome home the (hopefully) happy camper! But if he seems tired there is always the next day.

A bit of advice for whoever gets laundry duty... If the camp is known for poison ivy, oak, sumac, etc wear heavy duty dish washing or medical exam gloves when handling that pile of clothing as you sort, throw into the washing machine, do not mix with other family members stuff. Run it through twice, then run the washing machine one more time empty hot water, no soap. Dry separately also. This should wash out those active oils that cause reactions. My grandmother used to get poison oak from my grandfathers clothing when she did the wash and sometimes there was cross contamination with other family members clothing. That should also take care of any ticks that may of hitched a ride. Oh yes pitch those gloves afterwards and wash finger tips to elbows with soap and water!

I'm glad to see mom survived the week ;-) Take notes as you go to be ready for next year.

Great laundry tip! Thanks for the heads up. Yes, I'm sure poisonous plants and critters are something to check for, so all gear gets unloaded outside. Then I get to put on my gloves and tackle what is sure to be either a mess or a lot of unused clothes--making what was worn possibly saved for a fire rather than the washer :)

Hi Laurie

Our guys have been trained to expect their favorite meal, usually ribs for our older son, and Chineese for the younger son. And sleep as long as they want the next day. I have been trained to expect other things, but this is about the boys.

Hope to hear some great stories. You must be a wonderful mom.

Barry

Oddly, my son and I have always managed to return home when no one else was home. That give us a chance to umpack the car, hang the sleeping bags outside to air and get some laundry going without interruption.

When Mom gets home the Thin Young Guy can tell all of his tales without me being casting a baleful eye at the car filled with junk and gear.

We usually go out to dinner on that night because I'm the chef and after driving for five hours, I don't feel like cooking. :-)

I've noticed from my many experiences as Dad and SM that when the boys return home they are tired and groggy from the car ride (usually having slept in the car for a period of time). Mom wants a complete run down about what went on as very excited to have her boys home. The boys (being boys) are not very verbal and being tired usually utter such scintillating details as "we had fun, can I have something to eat?" It usually takes them a day or so to open up.

For myself, I like to be greeted with a hot shower and toilets that flush! What luxuries! If my wife really wants to excite me, the grass is cut when I get home!

My son is a summer camp now, will be coming home tommorow, his faovrite so far has a been a big hug, from mom, younger sister, and dad if dad did not go. This is his third year at summer camp, and I am pretty sure the hug will still be in order, becuase 3 weeks ago he did it after JLTC, and 2 weeks ago after church camp. And than we ask him how it went and he tells us how it went, this is usually an hour long discussion! Of course after the 1st 20 minutes, he's done talking and the rest is mom and I asking questions about merit badges, food, weather, bugs, KYBOS, etc.

Thanks to you all!

kwc57: ah, yes, for weekend trips I've learned to smile when thinking "ewwwww...he needs a shower" and hug and kiss him anyway. A week--what a challenge that wil be! He hasn't caught on yet, but I offer to run him a nice bath so he can soak and relax after sleeping on the ground all weekend. I do have ulterior motives ;) .

AK-Eagle: I'm figuring he might be too tired for his favorite meal on arrival home, but the next day definitely works too. Another Scouter said he loves a milkshake--now that would be doable and welcome even to a sleepy kid...one that might end up in a warm bubble bath with that milk shake :)

Eagledad: you made me laugh--yep, I'm sure I would like a different welcome home than my son too :) Thank you, and I can only hope that I am a good mom.

Fat Old Guy: After driving for 5 hours, you should not have to cook. Good for you for treating yourself out to dinner :)

acco40: If my son does decide to talk to us about what he did upon arrival home, it will be a first. I'm hoping to pry that out of him sometime within the first WEEK home--lol!

dan: I suspect the favorite hug for my son will be from his baby sister. She's been missing him terribly and hasn't slept through the night without a fuss since he's gone (but shhhh...don't tell him that...he'll remember and will be discouraged about going away again). And though he won't admit it, this mother knows he loves a hug and kiss anytime, so he'll get it--from all of us :)

Thanks so much everyone!!

The boys in our troop usually discuss this topic during the drive back. In no particular order:

Food - ice cream (milkshake is good), pizza, fresh-baked cookies (usually chocolate chip). Hot shower. Television shows or movies or video games. The family dog. Sleep.

No offense intended, but mom usually ranks after all that stuff but ahead of siblings and housework. Dad (if not a scout leader) comes in somewhere at about the level of the shrubbery around the house.

BTW, they will act as if they don't like it but secretly they really love being smothered in kisses, called 'sweetie', and being treated to your own version of 'shock and awe' at all the bug bites, etc. They'll likely tell you a story about each and every one.

OJ, has been started going to camp as a Cub Scout.

At that time I was the Cubmaster and later on active with the Webelos Scout Dens. So we were at camp as a father and son team.

Homecoming, was him sleeping, me driving.

Her That Must Be Obeyed, always seemed overjoyed to have him back in the nest.

Making a big fuss of him, and yes she would even cook - She hates to cook.

I kind of somehow, someway got involved with both the district and Leader training, and he wanted to have his "Own" troop.

So Summer camp, was just him.

The camp is 45 minutes from home if Her That Must Be Obeyed is driving (Other members of the family can do it in less time if no one else is in the car!!)

We go up for parents night on Wed. Take home mountains of smelly stuff. Depart leaving him with more then enough money to spend and cover any shortfall that there may be in the Council Budget.

We used to get a full report of what had gone on.

Now we get "Fine"

Camp lets out after a light breakfast, so we stop on the way and have brunch (If you are in the area 7 Springs is real good)

He is happy to be home

Dogs are happy to see him.

But he is so darn tired - And being 15 and having to bear the load of being right all the time. He is also like the "Old Man" when he is tired - Snippy!!!

So we make sure that he is clean and leave him to do his own thing .

Mostly he sleeps.

Over the next few days, he opens up and tells us, what he thinks we need to know.

Still being the kind, loving, nice dad I wait a day or so and then remind him that the grass needs cut.

It was a terrific week. The leaders that came home (3 stayed for a 2nd week) were very happy with the boys' attitudes and behavior. Everyone came home with smiles on their faces--that's a good review in itself :) My son told me there was NO WAY he'd go near a horse. Guess what his favorite memory is? He spent an hour on horseback, and he LOVED it!!! He didn't take swim lessons (he said he couldn't find where they took place), but his patrol leader taught him how to swim throughout the week. He completed most of 2 merit badges he signed up for, but he never made it to the third--got side tracked by that horse--lol! He is wide awake, announced he took a shower (it's a good thing he told me or I'd not have known, hee hee), and then waited for me to pick up his backpack. Uh, well, there's the car bud ;) The leaders laughed when they saw this, and I've a feeling he won't live that one down. Seems the boys were changing tents all week too. They took turns sharing a tent during the night. The troop won the white glove award for the week. My dear son came home without souvenirs though. Said he couldn't find a patch or a tee shirt. Hmmm... He's a little bummed about that, but WOW...what a good first summer camp experience for him. His baby sister cheered when he walked in the door. He shied away from my hug, but he grinned big when he got just the same. Even his brother is happy to see him home...for the moment anyway. Now, after 8 hours in the car, it's time to eat. Time to shower too--yeah, again--lol! Thanks for letting me share this with you all. I'm sure there's much more to hear about, but for now I've got my boy home, safe and sound, and best of all happy.