Appropriate to Tip ??

If youve ever gone to, worked at, or sent your children to a private camp, you know that it is expected that you will tip the councilors at the end of the camp session.

So, the question is, is it appropriate to tip Den Chiefs at CS Day Camp?

My gut tells me that money would be inappropriate, but how about gift certificates for the Scout Shop, Movies, or Sports Authority?

Have to admit that the thought has never crossed my mind.

I don't think tipping an individual is such a good idea.

Where would you draw the line?

If you tip the Den Chief, what about the next person up the line.

We in the past have had parents, who after attending an event, make a donation to the council, or the endowment fund. At times this money is earmarked and can only be used for a specific use.

We have also had parents who enlarge their FOS donation, when their son makes Eagle. Which is great at the time, but does tend to put next years goal, a bit out of wack.

In private camps you only tip the kid (s ) who worked directly with the child, Councilor & Asst. Councilor. Im thinking a small amount $5 or $10, just a little thank you. Nothing like the amounts suggested at private camps.

I noticed a comment on another thread about tipping at Philmont Training Ctr. The point was made the tipping is not allowed at PTC. Is this a national policy, or is it in some way specific to PTC?

I would say no. The reason being that the Scouts at Daycamp are doing a SERVICE to the district putting on the camp and part of Scouts is doing a GOOD TURN without expecting an award. If you were to start tipping, then the Scouts would start expecting it in the future and degrade the value they are earning in learning that helping others is an award in and of itself.

I can think of no scout function where tipping someone within the organization would be appropriate. Tipping MAY be appropriate at something like an FOS dinner where the wait staff were not registered members providing "cheerful service".

If I may, I could expand this to include Boy Scout Camp Staff. I say no to tipping them individually, but each year the Camp we go to has a Chilli Contest on Thursday night, (Cook staff night off. For the past several years our troop has gathered donations from the adults in our troop camp to get a gift certificate to the local Pizza place and give that to the staff on thursday afternoon. You could call it a group tip, or a token of our appreciation. As far as the troop knows we are the only ones who do this, thoughts?

I too have never considered tipping at a scout camp and I personally would discourage it. I have, however, anonymously left considerably good food items for the general staff from time to time. Much appreciated too! Food is GOOD, you know. Perhaps I've mentioned that before.

Tipping scouts who are den chiefs volunteering at day camp? No way! I can't cite chapter and verse, but I sure think it's not considered volunteering (aka service) if there is any financial renumeration.

I agree with OGE. Tipping of individual scouts or counselors should not be done, but each year our camp staff has a staff party at the end of the season, and the camp commissioners will normally ask for a small contribution from each troop to help out. We have tipped guides at a commercial river rafting firm we have used.

I've had camp staff ask for troop attire (custom hats, T-shirts, etc.). I usually "tip" by donating to FOS, specific facility fund drives, service projects, camp conservation projects, volunteering, etc.

When I am on staff, the best tip I have received is a genuine "thank you" from youth and parents. It really does mean a lot.

Ed,

Aquaduct isnt very far from here! If I ever figure out how to read a racing form Ill drop a buck in your name.

OGE

If theres a horse by the name of Mrs. Robinson Ill drop a few more bucks in my own name.

Thanks for your help everybody, I think I have enough ammo to go back to the interested parties and make the argument.

The way our day camp works (and to my knowledge most other camps) we don't really have Scouts assigned to work with the boys as they do at private camps. Our den leaders, the people who you would most likely tip, are parent volunteers and I don't think tipping would be appropriate. Giving a $15 tip to the $400-per-hour attorney who took the week off work to be with the kids just doesn't seem right.

On the other hand, if there is a Scout who particularlly worked with your son, a small gesture, like a $5 gift card to Blockbuster would not be inappropriate. To my mind, that's simply doing something nice for someone who has done something nice for you or your son.

There are plenty of nice things you can do for the adult volunteers, too. A thank you note comes to mind. A thank you note attached to a dozen Krispy Kremes works too. Or when you come to pick your kid up the last day of camp, plan to stay a couple hours and help break down camp.