Where did you go to summer camp?

As a Leader:

2008: Ma Ka Ja Wan Scout Reservation (Webelos Resident Camp)

2007: Indian Mound Reservation (Cub Resident Camp)

2006: Indian Mound Reservation (Cub Resident Camp)

1998: Camp Big Timber (Cub Resident Camp)

1982: Northern Tier, Bissett (Associate Crew Advisor)

As a Camper

1972 - 1976: Camp Wakonda (Griswold, Iowa...now a religious retreat)

As a Staff Member:

2007: World Scout Jamboree

1993, 2005: National Scout Jamboree

1990, 1992 - 1993, 1998: Camp Big Timber

1995 - 1996: Camp Freeland Leslie

1985 - 1987, 1989: Ben Delatour Scout Ranch

1985: Camp Wapello

1988: Scout Association of Ireland, various camps throughout the country

1979 - 1984: Camp Cedars

1977 - 1978: Camp Wakonda, Camp Eagle

Plus National Camping School at the following locations over a number of years...

Tomahawk Scout Reservation, Phillips Scout Reservation, Camp Cedars, S-F Scout Reservation, Camp Eagle, Camp Mitigwa, Howard H. Cherry Scout Reservation, Camp Ingawannis, Dane Hansen Scout Reservation

And a number of camp visitations over the years: Owassipe, Hoover, Mach-Kin-O-Siew, Shin-Go-Beek, Ma Ka Ja Wan, Loud Thunder, Indian Mound Reservation...and a few more that escape me..

Thanks for creating this thread....it was an interesting exercise to think about the times I have attended and visited camps...

Ken

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wente Scout Reservation, Willits California

Surprised not to see this one on the list....   Camp Raven Knob - Mt Airy, NC (1982-1986)     I sure do miss summer camp...

I second Raven Knob. Ours is a farely new Troop, 3 years. We had always vowed to go to a different camp each year. After Raven Knob we broke that vow and are going back next year. Great camp, great st

I was either a camper or staff member at

Slippery Falls Scout Reservation (Oklahoma)

Kia Kima Scout Reservation (Arkansas)

Raven Knob (North Carolina)

Worth Ranch (Texas)

Sid Richardson (Texas)

Broad Creek Scout Reservation (Maryland)

Camp Tom Hale (Oklahoma)

I have been to a ton more for camporees, conclave, trainings, etc...

• Like 1

Camp Rainey Mountain in Clayton Georgia had the Best Staff I've seen in 2006 and seeing how they operated makes me think it will still be the same. It was an enjoyable experience all the way around.

Camp Rainey Mountain in Clayton Georgia had the Best Staff I've seen in 2006 and seeing how they operated makes me think it will still be the same. It was an enjoyable experience all the way around.

I spent 3 summers as a youth at Camp V-Bar, located at Salmen Scout Reservation outside Kiln, MS currently owned by the Southeast Louisiana Council. I also did a few summers there as an adult.

I spent one summer at Avondale Scout Reservation as an adult, outside baton Rouge, LA.

I did one summer up in LaDomaine, Quebec, Canada doing a 50 miler.

I participated in the European Camp Staff Program, working at Kingsdown International Scout Campsite in Kingsdown, Kent, UK (now a privately owned campsite). I also worked at Youlbury International Scout Campsite (now called Youlbury Scout Activity Center) in Oxford, Oxfordshire, UK that same summer when Kingsdown was overstaffed.

I did 2 years of staff duty at Camp Bonner, Blounts Creek, NC

And I did 2 years of staff duty at Camp V-Bar

First summer camp was a Cub- Hart Scout Reservation, Green Lane, PA.

As a Boy Scout and staff member Treasure Island Scout Reservation, Pipersville, PA.

Sadly, neither are opeating as Boy Scout Summer camps any longer. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I did all of my summer camps, both as a camper and a staffer, at Camp Soule in Clearwater, FL. Council stopped operating summer camp there in 1988 and moved it to our new camp, Sand Hill Scout Reservation, in Brooksville, FL. I volunteered a weeks time to be a part of the "moving crew". We hauled all the tents, cots, platforms, etc from one camp to the other and then set up. It took a week to move eveything. Sand Hill opened one week later.

Due to drought, rabid development, and overpumping of ground water, Sand Hill's 40 acre lake is now a mud pit not much bigger than a olympic-sized pool. Camp Soule still has a healthy lake and a large swimming pool. I have convinced my Council to hold an Aquatics Camp at Camp Soule. The Aquatics Camp will allow our units to experience every aquatics badge or advancement. It should also get a couple of the old-timers fired up to see a week of summer camp at Camp Soule again.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was nice reading the replies and seeing that some folks had attended the same camps as I did growing up. Mine included the following....

1989: Camp Baden-Powell, England (Transatlantic Council)

1990: Camp Freedom, Germany (Transatlantic Council)

1991: Camp Bayern, Germany (Transatlantic Counicl)

1992: Camp Freedom, Germany (Transatlantic Council)

1994: Camp La-no-che, Florida (Central Florida Counicl)

We were supposed to go to Camp Tuscany in Italy in 1992, but we found out about a week before we were to leave, France wouldn't give us permission for our Troop to use an Army bus to transport us down to Italy for the week, luckily, we were able to transfer over to Freedom for summer camp. Alot of us were really bummed, because we always heard rumors from other Troops that there was a nude beach just a mile or so away from camp.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...