Where did you go to summer camp?

Tadma - Cubscout - 1990 - 1992

Workcoeman - Boy Scout - 1993 - 1995

Mattatuck - Boy Scout - 1995 - 1998

Tadma - Staff - 1997 - Present

Treasure Valley - 2002 - National Camp School

Massawepie - 2008 - National Camp School

Best summers of my life have always been on Tadma Camp Staff and also the best job I have ever had as well. All these camps are CT Rivers Council Camps. Except Treasure Valley is located in Rutland, MA & Massawepie is in Massawepie, NY

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wente Scout Reservation, Willits California

Surprised not to see this one on the list....   Camp Raven Knob - Mt Airy, NC (1982-1986)     I sure do miss summer camp...

I second Raven Knob. Ours is a farely new Troop, 3 years. We had always vowed to go to a different camp each year. After Raven Knob we broke that vow and are going back next year. Great camp, great st

• 2 weeks later...

Its pretty cool to see that for the most part, a lot of scouters have been to Philmont.

My list:

Ten Mile River Scout Camps, NY- Kunatah, Aquehonga(Been going here for 9 years), Ranachqua, and Keowa.

Camp Alpine, NJ

Philmont, NM

A.P. Hill, VA-Jamboree

I have only been to one camp for full-week summer camping... LeFeber Northwoods Camps in northern Wisconsin. This will be my first year on staff at LNC.

I have worked at Indian Mound Scout Reservation (between Madison, WI and Milwaukee) for three years, and have been ther dozens of times for non-summer camping.

I have also been to Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan and Long Lake for OA section conclaves.(This message has been edited by milwscout580)

• 4 weeks later...

As a youth back in the '80's, my scout troop attended summer camp at Boxwell Boyscout Reservation near Lebanon, Tennessee. At that time, the reservation was divided up into 5 major camps, Camp Murray, Camp Stahlman, Camp Parnell, Camp Creig, and Camp Light. While in scouts, I attended 1 year at Stahlman, 3 @ Parnell, and 3 @ Camp Creig.

Almost 30 years later, I'm back visiting Boxwell on a semi-regular basis with my oldest Cubscout son who will be a "Bear" this fall. Our pack attended a Spring Jamboree with our district back in April at Boxwell, and things sure have changed alot since I was a teenager.

Camp Murray is now called "Gaylord Cub World" and is actually kind of neat. The

whole camp has been revamped and geared around the interests of an 8 year old boy.

Has more of a "Disney-ish" type feel to it as opposed to camp.

Camp Stahlman is pretty much unchanged, with the exception of the restroom and shower houses which have all been rebuilt politically correct with individual stalls with locking doors for the showers and individual stalls and locking doors for the toilets.

The troop campsites still use the same green canvas tents on wooden platforms with army cots that we used in the 80's.

There is one particular old Cedar tree at Camp Stahlman that's still standing that will forever be imbedded in my mind. Almost 30 years ago, I remember my dad driving me out to Boxwell on a Sunday afternoon for my first summer camp in his 1978 Datsun 280Z. He pretty much dropped me off under that big old cedar tree and said.. "See you on Friday". I remember as an 11 year old boy trying to hide the tears on my face as he drove off. Back in April, I stood under that same tree and retold that story to my 8 yeard old son.

Camp Parnell... has been abandoned. The dining hall is still there but used for storage. All of the campsites are gone and overgrown, the waterfront is gone, and after speaking with one of the reservation rangers - it seems the underground waterlines for Camp Parnell all froze and busted and are too costly for the council to replace. What a waste.. when I was 14 & 15 years old... Camp Parnell was the best there was.

Camp Craig is still there, relatively unchanged - except for the politically correct restrooms. On the back of the dining hall - the veranda once had a beautiful view of Old Hickory Lake, but the trees now have 30 more years of growth on them - I guess that happens. I have 30 more years of growth om me too!

Me and my 8 year old son will be attending our first "Cubscout Resident Camp" at Boxwell in July... we both can't wait to go.

My "home camp" (literally about 20 minutes away from my childhood home): Henson Scout Reservation/Camp Nanticoke, Sharptown, Md. (Cub Scout chariot race participant, Boy Scout camper, staff member)

- Rodney Scout Reservation, North East, Md. (OA lodge weekends)

- Camp Bashore, Jonestown, Pa. (OA regional conclave)

- Hawk Mountain Scout Reservation, Schuylkill Haven, Pa. (National Camping School)

• 2 weeks later...

As a Cub Scout and Boy Scout, I went to Camp Pine Ridge in Southern Illinois. I also worked staff there for the last two years it was a summer camp. It is no longer operated as a summer camp, but the facility is still there.

I then worked at Camp Lewallen in Southeast Misouri for three years.

With my current troop, I have been to Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan (Northern Wisconsin), Owassippe (Western Michigan), Roy C. Manchester (Western Kentucky), and Tesomas (Northern Wisconsin). This year, the Troop is going to Decorah.

If anyone here lives in the upper Midwest, I would highly recommend Tesomas. The facility is very nice, and the Camp Staff went far beyond the norm to put on a good program. But all the camps had good and bad things about them.

As a Cub Scout and Boy Scout, I went to Camp Pine Ridge in Southern Illinois. I also worked staff there for the last two years it was a summer camp. It is no longer operated as a summer camp, but the facility is still there.

I then worked at Camp Lewallen in Southeast Misouri for three years.

With my current troop, I have been to Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan (Northern Wisconsin), Owassippe (Western Michigan), Roy C. Manchester (Western Kentucky), and Tesomas (Northern Wisconsin). This year, the Troop is going to Decorah.

If anyone here lives in the upper Midwest, I would highly recommend Tesomas. The facility is very nice, and the Camp Staff went far beyond the norm to put on a good program. But all the camps had good and bad things about them.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was a boy, the only camp that we ever went to for summer camp was Camp Orr. Just outside Jasper, Arkansas on the beautiful Buffalo National River.

I can almost say that I grew up there. My dad was in one of the canoes coming down the river when they chose the spot to build the camp and then he helped to build it too. I started going there as soon as I got into Boy Scouts. Between summer camp, council and O.A. activities I also spent several summers on staff there as well.I spent MANY years there in the past.

It has been just over 20 years since I have been there. I have recently come back into Scouting as a Scoutmaster and I just renewed my O.A. dues and will be attending our Ordeal in August. I earned my Vigil Honor in 1987 and am hoping to bump into some of the guys that I used to be in Scouts with.

Camp Herbert C. Bonner, Blounts Creek, NC (East Carolina Council)

Camp Charles, Bailey, NC (East Carolina Council)

Camp Raven Knob, Mt. Airy, NC (Old Hickory Council)

Camp Grimes, Nebo, NC (Mecklenburg Council)

Camp John C. Barnhardt, New London, NC (Central NC Council)

Camp Charles is now used only for weekend camping, having been closed by the Council years ago. Located on a really nice lake, the old dining hall and canoe sheds are still standing. I remember it because it had adirondack shelters for camping instead of tents.

• Like 1

For Summer Camp:

Seven Ranges Scout Reservation, Kensington, OH, Buckeye Council

July 1997 to Present

For Weekend Campouts:

(Former) Camp Tuscazoar, Zoarville, OH, (Formerly of Buckeye Council)

(Former) Camp Buckeye, Beach City, OH, (Formerly of Buckeye Council)

Camp Manatoc, Peninsula, OH, Great Trail Council

Cricket Holler Scout Camp, Dayton, OH, Miami Valley Council