Sid Richardson Scout Ranch

I mistakenly posted this question in High Adventure and netted no comment. So I'll try it here:

Anyone has any experience at the Sid Richardson Scout Ranch in Fort Worth in mid June? (especially, you folks in the Longhorn Council) Our troop is thinking about attendng Summer Camp there. Any feedback would be appreciated. Is it hot? Avg. day time temp? Night time temp? Dry? Wet? Muddy? Mosquitoes? Any recommendation? Mosquito net? fan? Is it wall tent on concrete slab? Latrene? Food ... enough for an adult? Recommended equipment for summer camp? etc.

Thanks in advance.

1hour

One Hour,

Sid is a wonderful place. I was on staff there for 5 years and a camper for 3. I am now an District Executive and Camp Director for South Plains Council, and I run our camps in the same way. It has been several years since I have been there for camp, but my father (Scoutmaster and Council Commissioner) goes every other year, and assures me that the tradition is very alive. SID is hot, but the staff keeps the camp so incredibily busy that there is no time to worry. There is 17 miles of lake shoreline, so Sid is an Aquatics dream! The Longhorn Council prides itself in its camping facilities, Sid is second to none. All LHC camps have tremendous camp staffs. Many staffers you will find have been there for more than 2 years. They put the boys first. This is not just a saying to them, they back it up with action. Its hot and there are a few mosquitos, so be prepared. They have wood platforms and canvas wall tents. The LHC spends alot of money keeping there tents and campsites in great shape. Again, do not worry, your boys will have more variety of fun and challenge that they could imagine. Someone else will have to help you on the food, etc. I have been gone too long to comment on that. Hope this helps.

That's alot of info ... thanks Kingfish. Anywhere is better than in SE Texas where it's hot/humid and the skeeters are kings!

YIS

1hour

ps: Welcome to the Forums(This message has been edited by OneHour)