Webelos Resident Camp

Ok, so next year I'll have a den of 10 Webelos 1 and I'm wondering about resident camp. What should I look for in facilities? program? length? food? etc? Any and all commments are welcome, including camp specific comments/reviews. Thanks.

The two suggestion I have is first the lenght of stay should be about 3day (or just under the limit required for a class 2 medical form). The second and most important consideration is that the boys have a chance for advancement. Up until last year our council held the Webelos/Cub camping at the Boy Scout camp. The program for the Webelos include alot of chances to work on advancement. If your den schedule their program correctly they could get their Readyman, Outdoorsman and Aquanaut pins in the time they were at camp. This year they opened our new CubScout camp and changed the focus of the from advancement to fun. The boys did have fun, but were disappointed that they did not earn much towards rank.

There are a couple of ways to look at it. First, you might consider attending whatever camp you think the boys might be attending when they enter the Boy Scout program. Kids that feel they have the "lay of the land" that first year at camp are more likely to have a positive experience.

School two says search out the camp with strong amenities and program. I covet features such as platform type tentage, a sit-down air conditioned dining hall, and good program resources (ie shooting ranges, etc).

I agree that a two to three night experience usually maxes the boys out.

I noticed you are from Wisconsin. I was previously active in scouting in the Madison area's Four Lakes Council. When I left in 1999 they were developing a Cub property called the Woodman Center. Although the Boy Scout camp was held at a different property, the program and beauty of that camp rated highly.

Best wishes for a great summer at camp.