What makes a camp staff good?

A good camp staff person is able to put himself in the shoes of the Scout. He's has empathy for every boy. Whether it's a boy with low self-esteem, a kid who can't sit still, or a boy still learning to control his temper, his goal for each and every kid is the same. He wants each boy to enjoy the adventure and to bring home happy memories.

not a merit badge mill

do not lose advancements forms

treat all troops (scouts) the same

do not change the rules in the middle of the week

have necessary supplies available (for merit badges)

at least act like they are having a good time (put on a happy face)

do not change times for classes, today we meet at 2 tomorrow at 4

all of the above happened at this years summer camp, we will not be going back to this one.

• 3 weeks later...

The scout (especially 1st yr) who has fun is more important than the number of badges he gets. Make the lessions exciting and put your best counsolers on eagle required badges.

I personally like the camp staff who are members of a Venture Crew (m/f 14-21) and wear the green uniforms. Adults can be the advisors, many camp duties can be used for advancement in this program.

In my experience a diversified camp staff was the best thing. When I worked a camp in Alaska last summer most of the senior staff was from a different state in the lower 48 and we each brought ideas from our home camps to build the program.

They should put the Scouts first and practice innovative methods of instructing, in a sense making the merit badges come alive. Early morning bird hikes, building a bridge for pioneering, search-and-rescue of a dummy for emergency prep or orienteering, etc.

• 1 month later...

A good camp staff is ACCOMMODATING. What I have found is that many camp directors and staffs do not view the campers as their "Customers" and they must be treated as such. A business wants their customers to return year after year, and a camp staff should be accommodating to insure that happens. A good staff will also see to the needs and "whims" of the adult leaders, for if the adults are unhappy, chances are the scouts will not return.

Espirit de corps !!! I always enjoy staffs that look like they work well as a unit and set the example for the rest of the camp. Can't get enough of the goofy songs and skits at assemblies, meals, and campfires.

Also important that they are inclusive of the campers and adult leaders attending the camp. Today's camper may be tomorrow's staffer.

Make an effort to make sure your instructors are prepared. It's a big turn off when kids are dismissed early or I get the impression the kids have been "rubber stamped" on advancement.