• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just got back from Camp Joy, Okaw Valley Council, in Illinois. We all had a great time! Quite hot the first part of the week, but a cold front came through and cooled things off for Thurs and Fri.

Off to Camp Minsi in Pocono Summit, Minsi Trails Council. Taking 62 scouts and 14-18 adults depending on the day. Will have to let you know how that works out, we will be in two sites. ALso, as I alluded to before, we will have the Council Scout Exec with us all week.

And for the great Muck Hike, three of the Venture Crew will come up (all girls)

Got back from summer camp at Heritage Reservation Camp Lberty Yorktown Campsite yesterday. Had great weather. Only rained on Tuesday around dinner then again overnight. Took 8 Scouts & 3 leaders. The Scouts completed 24 of 30 merit badges! They earned the Baden-Powell and Cleanest Campsite Awards. For our service project, we tied down the boards used for seats at the campfire circle to prevent them from flipping up when stepped on. One ASM & myself earned the Leaders Merit badge. We had to introduce ourselves to the camp director & program director, take a nap, etc. to earn this badge. Had 3 Scouts and 1 leader complete Brotherhood and 1 Scout was tapped out. The QM was the SPL from my Troop. The only downside to the week was our Site Guide. We saw him on Sunday at check in & then again on Monday for OA elections. Never saw him again until check out on Saturday. His excuse was he was busy. We saw our sight guide from the prior year more! I told him how I felt & also gave him a poor evaluation. Other than that, we had a gret week!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Just back from Camp Minsi, took 62 scouts, three left due to home sickness, one came back. I will have to start a thread about how to handle that. About 119 merit badges earned and many partials, mostly due to the scouts not having the 20 nights of camping in tents with 4 making scout, 2 first class and one life.

Overall the program was excellent and the staff was very eager to please, the crowded dining hall was a bother, but the staff tried every way to make it work. At least we had the Council Exec with us all week and he lived life as a camper, cant wait to see what happens. OA campfire/call out was spectacular as was the OA ceremony that was held for first year campers explaining what the OA was and greeeting them into scouting.

Excellent facilities and due to leader attrition I ended up as interim scoutmaster on Friday and Saturday. I had no problem signing us up again for the 4th week of camp in 2003.

Can you ever see All you Eatta to many times???

I'm off the summer camp in about an hour. We're going to Camp Three Falls, in the Lockwood Valley area of Ventura County. Has anyone been there? The boys are excited, though at least two dread having to go through the swim check.

My son just got back yesterday from Camp Freeland Leslie in Oxford, WI.

They had a great time! Went over to Devil's Lake WI State Park for a day to hike the bluffs, went canoeing and had a "battle" on the lake, worked on his Camping and First Aid badges. His favorite meal was "Zippy Beef" (macaroni beef slop), after his partol finished the batch they had made they went around and cleaned up everyone else's leftovers! He was also impressed by the whole pig that the staff roasted one night!

We just returned from our week at Lefeber Northwoods Camp in Laona, WI. It was a very successful week. We had 19 Scouts and 9 adults.

No rain for the entire week!! Our scouts passed

36 MB's and have 10 partials to be completed at home, received numerous NRA Marksmanship Awards, and earned the "Super Troop" award. Patrols worked well together with very little signs of homesickness among our 7 new scouts. They were kept busy all week! This SM and 3 other leaders even got to sneak out for a round of golf midweek!

The camp staff was excellent as usual, and scouts were making plans for next year on the car ride home.

We will be going to Phillips Scout Reservation near Haugen, Wisconsin again this year. Phillips uses 4-person cabins instead of tents and has a dining hall, making it good for younger boys who haven't mastered all of their scouting skills yet. The First-Year-Camper program is one of the best I have seen. My three sons can also confirm that it is a great place for older scouts to work.

Ed Thompson

Troop 6, Winona MN

Just came back from Blue Ridge Mountains Council Reservations Camp Powhatan. They also have a more rustic Camp Ottari, and many other dedicated programs of high adventure for the older Scouts. Above average facilities, but the most incredible and flexible Staff we ever been involved with. Their merit badge offerings are average, but their first year program, Brownsea, is an all day, all week, adventure. Our Scouts loved it. Again, their Staff makes them so successful.

anderson

We returned last weekend from Camp Cooper in the Oregon Coast Range. Eleven scouts and two adults, the scouts each earned several merit badges and the younger scouts progressed well in their rank advancement. Each patrol earned Honor Patrol (2 of 4 in the entire camp) and the troop earned Honor Troop (1 of 2 for the week). The staff was the best I have seen in our council, enthusiastic, helpful, often visited the campsites. The staff was extremely respectful at flag each day, and I suggested to our scouts that they watch the staff as to how to act at flag. Dining hall was overfull, but the staff did great at dealing with it. Coldest lake in our council, yet a number of scouts completed Lifesaving and Swimming MB. We go to a different camp each year, so now the scouts need to make the decision for next year. Luckily, we have a number of great camps to choose from.