How to convince parents about summer camp....

The summer camp we attend has a new leader orientation in May for all new leaders & parents who have never beem to summer camp. I always encourage the new parents to attend & take the tour. This gives them an idea about the accomadations their son will have for the week.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not realize there was so much variation in the cost of Scout summer camps. The $400 for a week of beach camp in Southern California seems out of line, it must be a very good program. But $125 is a major bargain. Our council's camp charges $225 for the week, $200 if the troop registers before April 30 which I assume most do. Last summer I paid $175 for a week of Cub Scout DAY camp, and that's with NO meals included, though bus transportation is provided.

I think Scout camp is a bargain compared with most other activities. And the boys aren't really getting the full program, at least at the Boy Scout level, without it.

Here in Georgia the Boy Scout camps range from $130 to $180. The top end being a council that charges extra for out of council units.

Cub Scout Day Camp in our District is about $70, I think $100 if you register late.

The YMCA is offering "day camp" or daycare are the rate of $190 for 2 weeks. Most daycares charge $100 a week during the summer for school aged children.

4-H camp is $190 for Monday - Friday (4 nights) summer camp.

I've known of people who have sent their young elementary school children to private camps for weeks at a time, out of state. I have no idea what they paid for that. But if 2nd grader can handle weeks away from mom, I think our 11 year old Boy Scouts can handle 1 week away with his friends at summer camp.

Our council has a $160 camp program. However, if boys have participated in troop fundraisers, the troop will subsidize $50 of the fee. So most boys end up paying $110. Additionally, the troop subsidizes a one-time $50 payment towards high adventure programs. Many of our boys are spending it during their trip to Philmont this summer.

If anyone is still looking for a camp (maybe ones they never knew existed), check out www.bsacamps.org.

• 2 months later...

Well, I thought I had them convinced - 6 weeks ago I had 8 on the summer camp roster. But due (I think) to the fact that because of a million things happening in June to both me and the Scoutmaster so we did not have regular meetings to get a "countdown to camp" prepared, and also due to the fundraising not going so well (see "assault by scout") - six of them have now cancelled and I will be going with my son and one other Scout (new, not yet Tenderfoot). I'm tickled that the other scout is enthusiastic, mature, and well-behaved so we're anticipating a very pleasant time. My husband is also going, his first summer camp since adulthood. I'm disappointed that we won't have even a whole "patrol" but the boys are going to make a special Camp Patrol flag to take (as luck would have it, one is in our Rattlesnake patrol and the other is a Cobra, neither will accept the other's patrol flag so they are going to make a T302 "Snakes" flag with both logos. I confess to steering the negotiation but I'm not sure they noticed.)

I'm taking Bob White's advice and plan to take tons of photos. We have a COH scheduled for just after camp anyway so that will be a great time for our campers to get their merit badges and hopefully create some excitement for the next year's camp.

Thanks for all y'alls advice.

Julia