Reading another thread brings to mind a problem that we have been having in our troop and in committee and that is the checking of references and driving record. We have a large troop and 2 years ago discussed the checking of references (they are not checked at the council level) and driving record. We formed a committee to look into the ways and costs of doing this and eventually the end result was that nothing was done. We still do not check the adult applicant's references and we still do not check driving records. I believe we were told by the commmittee that driving records in our state can not be checked without the driver's consent, which seems to me to be a simple thing. Seems if they are willing to drive they would be willing to have their records checked. There is also some cost involved and, of course, always the question of how often to check them. I suggested as a minimum that all newly registering adults should be checked and then every year from now on. That in short order, what with change over, should cover everyone within a few years. However, as I said, nothing was decided or done. I'm not happy with the obvious liability problem for the troop and chartering organization. How does your troop handle this, especially large troops.

Why not ask drivers to show you a current drivers license and proof of insurance? That's what is required on the tour permits. Unless you have specific knowledge of a an adult being dangerous behind the wheel, then you could simply arrange enough transportation to where it would not be required that they drive.

Bob

Is this something that the CO is supposed to handle? In the pack I used to be in, the church (CO) had us fill out an additional application required by all of their youth volunteers. However, in the troop I am currently with, I don't think the COR is even aware of which adults are registered! He just signs whatever is handed to him (this is one of many reasons we are switching troops soon!)

According to the Troop Committee Guide, this task would fall to the Outdoor/Activities Coordinator.

As you pointed out some charter organizations may also ask for this information for their files, but this will vary from group to group.

Certainly it would be an efficient way for your committee to prepare Tour Permits, if it had photo copies on hand of all parents and leaders who would potentially drive on outings.