Backpack Stove for patrol use

Our cooking groups are 3-4 scouts, depending on the patrol dynamic and attendance. We have done this since before I have come into the troop. But as I said, we are down to 2 troop stoves. Our philosophy is that any scout can bring his own stove, but he must share it with his group. Otherwise, the troop tries to carry enough stoves for everyone.

Cost is our biggest driving factor, followed by stability. We are also considering weight and ability to use below 20F.

Any more ideas?

I use only liquid for backpacking because of it's versatility. All the stoves do pretty much the same, so I'm not into the fine intricacies of each stove.

I do know in cold weather the butane does freeze up and the liquids don't evaporate in the generators so my solution to the problem is to have a convertible stove setup. I have an old 2 burner white-gas Colman that I have had for many years. In the winter I use white-gas and lighter gel (flammable napalm in a tube) on the generator to get it pre-heated before starting to light with the gas that otherwise won't evaporate in a cold generator. This solves the problem of cold weather. In the summer I like the ability to use propane, so I have a propane generator that simply fits into the stove through the same hole as the white-gas generator but has an on/off valve and connects to any propane source. Same stove, best of both worlds.

I use my white-gas one-burner backpack stove only in the summer. When it gets cold around here, I go to wood. There's not much chance of setting the woods on fire when there's 2' of snow all around. I'm thinking however, the napalm on the backpack stove generator, theoretically will do the same as on my two-burner Colman. The name of the game is to get the liquid gas to evaporate so it will burn. A pre-heated generator should do the trick. :)

Stosh

I have now used the Jetboil GCS system extensively, it's main advantage over the rest of the Jetboil line is that the canister is inverted thus you are drawing liquid fuel vice vapor when operated in the rest of the Jetboil line and most of the other Isobutane/Isopropane systems. I've found it to work very well up to 12,000 ft and down into the 20 degree zone. On Mt.Phillips at Philmont it ran fine, 11000+ft and about 34 degrees, cold and rainy, for evening dinner.

I like it, now, we also ran a standard Jetboil PCS with the larger Group pot on a pot stand and there was no noticeable (without a scale for fuel usage, or specifically clocking cooking time) difference between the two.

Jetboils do not require proprietary canisters.

For our Philmont Crew 2010, we used Two PCS systems with the larger pot and one GCS system - they worked great and our HA coordinator has temporarily retired our MSR Whisperlite Internationals. We're still teaching them - but so far we haven't found the Jetboils to underperform, they seem to be safer to use, plus they are lighter over time( a full Canister is near the weight of an empty MSR fuel Bottle) and avoid any fuel spillage issues in packs.

On the negative side, you do have the issue of carrying/recycling empty canisters and marking them so you know which ones are: full(we leave unmarked), in use(we put a diagonal slash on the base) and empties (mark an X on base - Punture canister - crush under boot and pack out)

Even so we had folks volunteering to carry fuel - knowing they would always have the can - who before would try to beg off because the White gas would inevitably leak -from somewhere - at some time.

I still like Whisperlites but am a regular user of the Jetboils due to their convenience and safety. My humble opinion only - Yours may vary.

• 2 weeks later...

> but we have been caught out where the weather dipped below forecast and isobutane stoves lost their ability to work efficiently

A normal canister stove will work OK below freezing UNTIL all the propane in the mixture burns off. Since most canisters are 20-30% propane new they won't last anywhere near as long as normal. What you need is a remote canister stove such as an MSR Windpro so you can invert the canister, allowing it to operate as liquid feed and maintaining the gas mixture (you need the propane for below freezing temps). Then it will operate down to 0 F. The catch with the Windpro at least is you need to loosen the canister adapter and rotate it 180 because of the fuel line.

I give up on the jetboil, I own the helios, pcs and flash, when the temp dips even with the cold weather fuel mix. once the full canister gets below half full it simple doesn't work very well. I have been left frustrated when my companions are eating and I am still waiting. I have constructed wind screens to help trap heat and help warm the fuel, helps a little but not enough. The iso fuel mixes are not all created equal, the coleman stuff at wally world is terrible, the best I have found is the snowpeak, giga stove version. I have run out of fuel during cold weather that is how I found out the coleman stuff is terrible.

As many of you know I am a confirmed gear junkie. I have about 15 backpacking stoves, some for education others actual use. I have a variety of stoves from the esbit solid fuel thru my favorite stove which is the msr EGK. I am a huge fan of MSR stoves, multi fuel, reliable, field serviceable, excellent performance. Wide choice of fuel can be burned from kerosene to jet fuel, not that I have had issues with getting or running out, but it is nice to have choices.

Now if you think your gonna actually cook on these, you can but it is an acquired skill. They are for the most part meant for boiling water fast. I have cooked eggs on it, but it will require constant attention. Shrimp and grits is my favorite first night meal. mmmmmmmmm, tasty.

Store bought dehydrated meals, mountain house, enertia, Backpackers pantry, are an expensive luxury.

Backpacking can be an extremely inexpensive adventure. cat can stoves, now prohibited, plastic sheet tarp camping, beer can cook pots. it is the perceived needs and wants that drive the cost up.

Get them scouts outdoors

> once the full canister gets below half full it simple doesn't work very well. I have been left frustrated when my companions are eating and I am still waiting. I have constructed wind screens to help trap heat and help warm the fuel, helps a little but not enough. The iso fuel mixes are not all created equal, the coleman stuff at wally world is terrible, the best I have found is the snowpeak, giga stove version.

I believe Snowpeak uses 30%. The Coleman Powermax was the best at 40% but no longer made. Anyway, if you have a remote canister stove and always run it with the canister inverted the fuel mixture will be maintained and it won't peter out when it's half full (after all the propane has been used up in an upright canister). You can find lots of good info on this subject at

http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_Mixtures.htm

Great link.

I have a jetboil helios, The msr heats water quicker, but the helios is easier to use.

if I am merely making coffee for my self in the morning at camp, I have a jet boil pcs with the french press attachment. If it is anymore than that I take the msr.

Family is sick so we didn't get to go to the family thanks giving at the relatives, here we sit like birds in the wilderness waiting to eat,

Be advised that there is now a recall.

Minneapolis, MNKatadyn North America Inc. and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) have voluntarily recalled camping stoves and equipment over fire hazards. About 5,300 camping stoves and equipment in the United States and about 24,000 in Canada were recalled on November 22, 2010.

The recall was initiated after discovering that the damaged fuel lines and/or O-rings may cause fuel to leak, which poses a fire hazard to consumers.

The CPSC reported, This recall involves Optimus Nova and Nova+ camping stoves and equipment, including the stoves fuel pump and spare parts/repair kits. The stoves are black metal, measure about 6 inches in diameter and 3 inches high and can be used with multiple types of fuel. Stove serial numbers QA000011 through QA007313 are included in this recall. The serial number and Optimus are printed on the side of the camping stove. Pumps and spare parts kits also were sold separately. Pumps have a green open/close valve. Spare parts kits model numbers include 80163051, 8520, 80176321 and 8511 and are printed on the packaging.

Consumers are advised to contact Katadyn to receive a free repair.

For further information concerning the recall, consumers can contact Katadyn at (800) 755-6701 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. CT Monday through Friday. Consumers can also register for the recall at www.optimusstoves.com/usen/.

http://www.justicenewsflash.com/2010/11/25/recalled-camping-stoves-and-equipment_201011256263.html

Jetboil had a similar recall. no biggy

http://www.jetboil.com/recall

It happens, a conscientious user would never notice it. those who don't make sure the tank is tight will have a problem.

The MSR users are constantly complaining about the pumps breaking. there is some maintenance involved with the liquid fueled stoves.

The jetboil users complain about the ignition system being fragile.

cat can users complain about time.

> cat can users complain about time

More that they cannot be used on Scout outings anymore. :(

I do plenty of other chores while waiting the 5-8 minutes. No biggie but not as practical for most winter use.

Hope you get feeling better and can hold down whatever you birds can find.