Present for Philmont Bound Eagle

I want to give a present to a Scout who is earning his Eagle. He is heading to Philmont next year and I want to get him something for the trek.

I'm trying to think of something that would be either an addition to, or a nice upgrade above, the basic equipment everyone would bring.

Any ideas?

Rite-In-the-Rain Outdoor Journal or Spiral Notebook, and a pencil.

While most boys will not think to journal during the trek, jotting down a few memories each night just before bed will be a cherished item when older.

A thermorest and good boots are the only 2 things anyone really needs at Philmont. Anything more is just weight you are lugging around.

I would have like to have more pictures from the trail. A $100 buys a decent digital camera. A 2 gig SD card allows you to store 400+ pictures at lower resolution setting. Most digital cameras even provide video. 2 sets of lithuim batteries would get you through a 10 day trek. Camera $100-$125. SD card $15-$25 Four lithium AA batteries about $18.

Collapsible walking staffs - two of them. There's a reason 4 legged animals are more stable on trails than us 2-legged humans - and using two walking staffs, though not quite duplicating 4 legs, provides a lot of stability, and helps take some of the load off. I use the REI Four Winds - a four section walking staff, because it collapses into one of the smallest staffs for packing.

2GB only holds 400 or so photos? My digital camera is a Sony - at the VGA setting, their 2GB card holds over 12,000 photos. It's a good thing too - I often take 400 to 600 pictures a day when I'm traveling - just last weekend I went to the Chicago Botanic Gardens and took over 400 photos in about 2 1/2 hours.

• 1 month later...

Trekking Poles are great, younger guys don't use them as much, but 3-4 of the youngersters on my trek had them, all 3 adults, counting myself carried trekking poles. Another nice item, cheap is a lightweight camp chair, makes for a comfortable evening instead of the log or ground. I really like the Alite Monarch Chair. For me a digital camera is required part of the packing list for any camping/backpacking trip. Most crews only require 2-1quart water bottles, I would/did carry a 3rd water bottle, so a nice Philmont Nalgene would be well received. Next crew I take to Philmont will be required to carry 3-1qt water bottles. Really good quality combo wicking/wool/synthetic backpacking socks. I'm old school used to using silk/poly sock liner under heavy ragg wool sock, but used combo socks for the first time at Philmont 2 years ago and loved them. Will not go back to the silk/ragg wool combo again. A plain simple titanium Spork from MSR is a good lightweight gift. Good luck and hope the new Eagle enjoys Philmont.