Can anybody tell me the name a of a company or store that sells canoes.

I do not want a plastic kayak, and I do not want an old time style canvas over wod frame canoe. I just want a basic aluminum or fibreglass canoe.

So far, all my internet searches have lead me to kayaks or inflatable canoes.

All I want is a basic canoe for me and my son to explore in.

Thanks! Mark

Most large sporting goods stores sell canoes.

Some are - Sports Authority, Dick's, REI, and Cabela's.

Heck, you can even find canoes at Sears, Walmart, Target, and at Amazon.com.

All can be found online.

This buying guide said everything I would have typed, better:

http://www.galttech.com/research/sports/canoe-buying-guide.php

Materials, manufactures, and prices included.

We're still paddling a 17 foot Old Town (Royalex) that I bought in 1977, so it's 33 years old. Usage has been 25% class 3 (Eastern scale) whitewater, 50% flatwater, and 25% riding a rack.(This message has been edited by JoeBob)

• 2 months later...

You will also find that few retailers carry a lot of canoes in stock for you to choose from. I have also found that most manufacturers will not sell direct to consumers.

What you need to do is browse the manufacturers' web sites to get some idea of what might fit your needs, talk to someone knowledgable, and then order through the retailer. Both of the canoes I bought in recent years I ordered online off of the REI website at the time of their spring sale. I ordered several weeks in advance of my planned usage, and I ordered for pickup at my local REI store to avoid shipping charges.

I also understand that Bass Pro Shops sell canoes although I have never check them out.

Scoutfish,

Two months ago I bought an Old Town Guide 147 off of Craigslist for $350. This same canoe can be found new at Bass Pro Shop for $549. I couldn't be more happy with it, either solo or dual. It's plastic but 3 ply with foam core, rather than a single ply plastic. It is naturally buoyant and probably more damage resistant than Royalex (but heavier.) PM me if you want more details.

Bass Pro does have a good selection of canoe supplies as well as Dick's Sporting Goods.

A book that helped me make a decision on what to buy is Basic Essentials of Canoeing by Cliff Jacobson. The latest edition (3rd) was updated in 2007. Also a helpful website with canoe reviews is:

http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/

Good luck!!

Scoutfish,

The only manufacture producing aluminum canoes is Marathon Boat Group under the Grumman brand. After ownership changes the canoes were produced under the Marathon brand. The canoes are now produced under 'Grumman' again after it was licensed from the original owner of the boat unit, Northrop Grumman.

It is not very hard to find a used Grumman or Marathon canoe. You may also be able to find Alumacraft canoes used, these are no longer made as of a few years ago. Your best bet for a new Grumman is a local independent business. Most businesses now carry the cheap recreational plastic canoes as these cost far less. These weight about the same but are not as durable, stable, or repairable.

If you are looking for a fiberglass (Tuf-weave Flex-core or Royalex) canoe I would look at Wenonah Canoes, Bell Canoes, or Old Town. Old Town you will find everywhere as it is owned by the Johnson Outdoor Group. I would highly recommend Wenonah Canoes as their products are by far the highest quality. The owner, Mike, got his start canoeing at Charles L. Sommers Canoe base and is an Eagle Scout.

Check with canoe rental/dealers in your area. They tend to dump their rental inventory every end of season and have new models for next year to rent in the spring. I picked up my kayak that way. My two aluminum canoes are from a rental place as well. Both beat up looking tough, but with a little duct tape, they'll float all day long. :)

Try Ebay/Craigslist, etc. and don't pay for shipping! buy local.

As far as aluminum only, you might want to do some research. Although I have two aluminums, I would prefer two plastics because they offer more opportunity for rough handling than do the aluminums.

Stosh