Tent recommendation needed

Many Hats,

For a decent 3-man tent at a decent price, the Eureka Camping Center (outlet) has the Pinnacle Pass 3XT A. Having two doors and integral vestibules is hard to beat. I think it's worth looking at (I have an Apex 2XT which is similar): http://www.eurekacampingctr.com/eureka/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=PINNACLE+PASS+3XT+A&pf_id=PAAAIAOIAOJLKPDK&dept_id=3119

• 8 years later...

Welcome to the campfire @JohnMiller

I agree with your comment for people to consider when and how they will use the tent, but I have to disagree with the rest of your recommendation.  Telling people to only camp when the weather forecast is sunny is a disservice - not only will that limit the amount of time they even consider going out, but it will leave them unprepared if they do encounter weather.

Much better to help them understand their equipment and recommend a tent that will keep them safe (dry == warm and not hypothermic).  In that regard, I would recommend them a tent with a full rain fly and teach that they can leave the doors open, or take the rain fly off while the weather is nice.

And to that end, I could never in good conscious recommend a Coleman (or Ozark Trail or Wenzel) brand tent.  The only advantage they have is that they are cheap you can pick them up on a moment notice at any big-box store.  In my experience their quality is on-par with their price (low) and they fail on the one feature that I look for in a tent - how well does it protect me against the elements.  While it will cost a little more, there are entry-level brands such as Alps Mountaineering that offer tents in comparable sizes that not only perform better in the weather but are backed by outstanding customer service.  Better performance will result in more comfort and a better overall experience - that is what will keep them coming back.

Just my $0.02 worth

Edited by jjlash
  • Upvote 3
7 hours ago, JohnMiller said:

... If you plan on camping in the summer you don't want a waterproof tent just because it's tempting to say "if I can have it waterproof why not?". Waterproof tents tend to retain heat so you're better off keeping an eye on the weather forecast and going out in the sunny days. I'll also leave a link ... people are generally satisfied with a Coleman and I think that's a good choice too.

Welcome to the forums! It's interesting that there are some people who plan around the weather forecast.

Then there are the weather forecasts that plan around some people.:eek:

Anymore, if I don't need to shield from sun, I don't set up a tent. I have no problem with Coleman ... and there are a couple in the garage that my scouts and venturers have used -- after suitable reinforcement for winds. It's just that I can buy a lot of tarps and chord for the price of a tent (even a very cheap one).

• Upvote 2

When buying a tent I tend to look more at what type of camping it will be used for, rather than what type of weather.  As weather here in Florida can be rather unpredictable at times, we should Be Prepared for anything it may throw at us.  I also have no problem with Coleman, if it I am using it when we are basically 'car camping'.  In those instances, comfort, particularly being able to stand up when dressing, is a big consideration.  I have multiple Coleman tents that are used in those situations.

I also have 2 one person Eureka tents, along with a 2 person (really more comfortable with 1) Big Agnes Tiger Wall 2 ultra light backpacking tent.  I pretty much only use the Big Agnes when backpacking, due to weight considerations.

Almost every time I've gone with a cheap option, regardless of the item, I've regretted it.

Very rarely have I regretted going with a high quality item that cost more.

A scout is thrifty is not equal to a scout is cheap.

There's no such thing as a perfect tent.  They are all compromises. You have to determine how you will use the tent first.  One used only for car camping can be heavier, bigger and more durable than one used for backpacking.

Some of our scouts have Coleman and Ozark Trail tents.  They start breaking very quickly.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, 69RoadRunner said:

A scout is thrifty is not equal to a scout is cheap.

Very true.  I know that the Coleman tent will only last if I am careful with it, it is not really made for heavy duty use.

The Big Agnes may have cost 10x more than the Coleman, but I know it will, taken care of, last many, many years.  Doesn't hurt that Big Agnes has excellent customer service and backs their products to the fullest.

1 hour ago, 69RoadRunner said:

Some of our scouts have Coleman and Ozark Trail tents.  They start breaking very quickly.

I do see that with some of the cheaper tents that parents buy for Scouts, particularly in tearing them when being a bit enthusiastic about pulling on the tent corner rather than the stakes during take down.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, MikeS72 said:

... I do see that with some of the cheaper tents that parents buy for Scouts, particularly in tearing them when being a bit enthusiastic about pulling on the tent corner rather than the stakes during take down.

A good stake lifter (a.k.a. loop of cord) is worth a thousand tent corners!

4 hours ago, JohnMiller said:

Well, doesn't everyone? Well at least check it out of curiosity before heading out.

Of course, I review the weather two days before inserting into wilderness - especially with first-year scouts. There's a big difference, however, between making a no-go decision in the face maniacal gale-force winds and only "going out in the sunny days". The worst thing rain might do is inspire me to wrap my pack in a second tarp and change where I cross the creek.

If I'm carrying a shelter any distance on a day certain to be sunny and night certain to be clear, it ain't gonna be a tent. I need to offset the weight of a backpacking telescope that would be perfect for clear nights on some meadow far from electric lights. I'm not even setting up the hammock unless there are two sawed off stumps at the right height. (Branches block stars.) A ground cloth and maybe mosquito netting beside the scope will do.