It's time to buy a compass. I don't need super fancy, but would like a good, reliable brand. I half remember a discussion sometime, somewhere about the current Silva not being the old Silva, but maybe Suunto being the old Silva. Any recommendations?

It's not which brand but which specifications you need AND know how to use: Bezel resolution, Compass accuracy, Dampening time, Translucent baseplate, Sighting mirror, Declination scale, Adjustable declination, Clinometer, Reciprocal Scale, among others.

I like Silva, Suunto and Brunton, there are lots of good compasses out there and available for $5 to >$100. Most $20 dollar compasses are fine, or possibly overkill for what 90% of Boy Scouts are doing. The majority of folks can't operate their compasses up to the tolerance levels of a decent compass and thus don't need an extremely accurate - and high dollar unit. As long as it can keep you on your chosen trail that's what MOST folks really need.

(edit)I still use a mil surplus-ed lensatic, it's served me well, is rugged and best of all I don't really even have to think about how to use it anymore. Tehy are great if you'll take the time to learn how to use it - but make sure you track down one with the tritium night glow - yes it's radioactive but it's already been made - no sense putting it in a landfill until it's no longer viewable.(This message has been edited by Gunny2862)

My silva BSA compass from the '70s still works fine...you can pick them up on ebay pretty cheap.

I agree with Gunny...much of our BSA compass work can be done with an inexpensive compass. And Gunny, I had to smile when you mentioned your mil surplus lensatic...I have one in the garage and it still glows just fine!

So the newer Silva are getting bubbles. That's good to know b/c my newish Silva ( 9 years old) just got bubbles and I thought that somehow the kids messed it up, just couldn't figure how they could have found it.

I got an old Silva from the 1960s that my mom-in-law got for me one Christmas, It's great.

Friend of mine swears by his Brunton, and carries it with him on the job. as a backup. He has a cool GPS that he uses on the job.

Yes, but, they have developed into the Leupold Company whose primary business is hunting and tactical optics. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3197/is_11_52/ai_n27464670/

I can't find any stand-alone compasses they still make but I am pretty sure they do integrate compasses into some of their tactical spotting scopes, etc.

Apparently the compasses and other devices they made during WWII were too good, they didn't wear out - which killed repeat/replacement business.

They moved into optics partially as a result of a missed shot while hunting and a technology they worked with during WWII filling devices with nitrogen to prevent fogging - a plus in any scope.

In the U.S. compasses with the "Silva" trademark are NOT made by the Silva of Sweden that invented the plastic baseplate compass. Its a long story.

If you want a Silva of Sweden compass, look for the clear baseplate compasses sold in the U.S. by Brunton (which is now owned by Silva of Sweden, which in turn is owned by Fiskars/Gerber - the scissors/knife folks).

Besides highly recommending a plastic baseplate style of compass - as opposed to a lensatic compass - my #1 recommendations are to get one with adjustable declination (not to be confused with a declination adjustment scale) and to buy from a good company (I recommend Brunton & Suunto).

My picks for Scouts and Scouters are:

Suunto M-3 (sometimes call the Suunto Leader)

Brunton 8010G

Both are around $20-$25, from great companies, have adjustable declination, and are very good quality. If it means anything, I have both, but bought the Suunto M-3 for my son when he joined his troop.

The Brunton 9020G is an excellent little compass whose rounded shape makes it very pocketable (I bring it along when going to places like Disney World - where I get more lost than I do in the wilds!), BUT its symmetric shape also adds to the risk of Scouts pointing it backwards if they don't watch for the direction arrow.

BTW, my favorite book on the use of map & compass:

"The Essential Wilderness Navigator: How to Find Your Way in the Great Outdoors"

by David Seidman and Paul Cleveland

It provides the easiest-to-read and best organized approach (showing all the options) for map & compass navigation that I have found.

kenk, I'll join you in recommending clear base-plates and the adjustable declination(just remember to check it's setting for EVERY map and area you use and go) for Scouts and novice compass users.

easier with a map, easier to read, easier to plot.

Lensatics are technically oriented, and require a lot of user input(doing things that other compasses don't make you do(like ACTUALLY holding it level and paying attention to 3 or 4 things at once) or doing functions like adding or subtracting declination that other compasses will do for you) to work properly. I use mine, but don't and didn't recommend them for everyone.

In the NE Illinois area the magnetic declination is so small that leaders in the council have become comfortable ignoring it - and no teaching Scouts about it, nor teaching them how to adjust for it. I think that is a mistake, especially when they go someplace in the northern corners of the U.S. where the declination can be over 15 degrees off.

I hear there is a new GPS-related merit badge coming. I would also like to see Scouts learn the RIGHT way to use a GPS with a map & compass.

Amen, Kenk. Your scouts could be in for a shock if they go to Philmont. I also agree about teaching them to use GPS with map AND compass.

I use a Suunto M3-D and am very pleased with it. It was a gift but I would buy another if this one went missing. Things I like: adjustable declination, luminous dial, magnifying lens and 1:24K scale rule. Even if your eyes are young and you don't (yet) have to squint through bifocals the magnifying lens can be used to start a fire. I also like the little rubber feet that keep it from sliding on the map. I wish it also had a 1:50k scale as some of the AT maps use that scale but life's not perfect.

I have never had a compass with a clinometer. I am not sure if I would find it useful as I can generally tell if I am going up or down hill and if it is steep or not.

The M-2D looks like a good option for scouts if money is an issue ($10 cheaper).

Hal

Be careful!! The Suunto M-2 has an "adjustable declination correction scale". It does NOT have adjustable declination. That means that the user has to remember to use the scale correctly with every reading, rather than use the set-and-forget adjustable declination feature in the M-3.

kenk:

Are you sure? The Suunto site uses the same term to describe the M3 and reviews at REI.com reference adjustable declination. I don't have an M2 at hand but I think they do have the same adjustable declinatation as the M3. By the way, the M2-D is on sale at REI for $14.99 (this is not a plug; I don't work for REI. I just saw the price when I was checking the specs and reviews at their website). I suspect the sale is through Labor day.

Hal