tents from Scout Direct / Alps

I have used Scout direct a couple of times and find their gear very nice. Our troop is looking at getting some tents that we can backpack with. Probably 2 man tents. Do any of you have experience with the Scout Direct tents? Would you recommend a tent to me?

We bought a few Taurus 4's this spring. Excellent tents. Several were up in a windstorm with 70-90mph winds and no guy lines. One pole cracked but that was all. Alps sells pole replacement by the section, not the whole pole.

Used 'em for a week at summer camp with zero issues.

I have an Extreme 3 with the extra thick floor saver(you have to ask for the 2x weight floor saver, it's not in the catalog). It's great for weekend trips, and extended stays but a little heavy for longer treks.

Had it a little less than a year now, at first glance a quality product, still delivering that impression after several trips, long-term use will tell the rest of the story.

I love my Taurus 2, but I haven't started backpacking. I'll get one of the lighter tents when my new-Webelos-son is ready for backpacking. I have enjoyed all of my Alps Mountaineering gear that I have purchased. Great reviews from some Boy Scout Troops that I have talked to about their Alps Mountaineering gear. Hard to beat the discount for scouts at scoutdirect.com.

I'd recommend either the Taurus 4 w/ aluminum poles, or the Vertex 4.

I have the Taurus (5 - for tall adult leader) and love it. Not sure if Vertex poles are too complex.

The Meramac 4 would be better suited to real hot weather where air circulation is vital. I have the Meramac 6 and like it a lot - but it gets kind of breezy in northern midwest fall and spring.

Personally own Taurus 4, Glacier, and Mystique 1.5. All great tents, especially for the price. The Mystique 1.5 is a great 1 man backpack tent. Not freestanding, but many of that size and weight are not.

First Class son uses a Zephyr 2 man as his personal tent. Great ventilation and does well in weather. I especially like the full coverage Flys on all of these tents.

Our troop has used Taurus 2 man tents for weekend tents for 2 1/2 years with no problems at all. We do tend to use Eureka Timberline 4 tents for summer camp just because they are rommier and we already had them. Some boys still opt to use the Taurus tents for summer camp.

I don't think you can go wrong with anything from Alps.

Ken