Bear-Proof Can Is Pop-Top Picnic for a Crafty Thief

Bear-Proof Can Is Pop-Top Picnic for a Crafty Thief

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/25/nyregion/25bear.html

By LISA W. FODERARO

Published: July 24, 2009

NORTH ELBA, N.Y. It was built to be impenetrable, from its super rugged transparent polycarbonate housing to its intricate double-tabbed lid that would keep campers food in and bears paws out.

But in one corner of the Adirondacks, campers started to notice that the BearVault, a popular canister designed to keep food and other necessities safe, was being compromised. First through circumstantial evidence, then from witness reports, it became clear that in most cases, the conqueror was a relatively tiny, extremely shy middle-aged black bear named Yellow-Yellow.

Before they used canisters, campers often stored food in bags, typically hung from cables slung between trees, which inadvertently made for one-stop shopping for bears.

They had learned that when they saw a bag in the air, there had to be a rope someplace and they learned to bite or slice the line, said Neil Woodworth, executive director of the Adirondack Mountain Club, a conservation and recreation group.

[excerpted]

As I read the article, I found myself cheering for Yellow-Yellow!

My hope is that no one harms her and no one gets harmed by her.

I wish her a good long life. With maybe a few tasty treats now and then!

Eamonn.

Well, we all know what the solution is. We're just going to have to find some food that bears don't like and use that when we are camping.

I mean, that IS the only real solution, right? Other than reinforced concrete and chrome steel doors...

Steel cables for bear bag hanging...

I was wondering how long it would take before black bears figured this out. They are some of the most adaptive creatures in the world.

Guess now we'll need to bear bag our bear canisters, and set-up an electric fence perimeter around the tree the lift line is tied to.

Here's a thought - if a bear wants your food, they'll eventually figure out a way to get it. Best solution is to make yourself a hard target with good campsite selection, good campsite practices (i.e. cook, eat, clean in an area well away from sleeping area - change clothes after cooking and keep cooking clothes out of tents - etc...), and multiple bear protections for foodstuff.

Hope this doesn't lead to more calls for closing off wilderness areas from humans for the sake of the bears. That would be a shame.

Well,at least no new closures or procedures are needed in other parts of the country, at least not until the next Bear-Con. And only a limited number of bears are entering the vaults in Yellow-Yellows area, so far.

Still good procedures are necessary wherever humans and Bears interact...

"If bear canisters don't work and bear bags are obsolete, what to do?"

How about having the bears wear collars that are linked to some sort of GPS system, that calls campers cell phones when the bear comes within a quarter mile of where the camper is?

This would also ensure that here in the forum we don't have threads that are 102 pages long about cell phones.

People opting to ignore the warning about the bear could then use their phone to video the bear eating their food and then send the video to Face-book or one of type of sites.

The video could be set to music.

I'm thinking maybe Susan Boyle singing 'I Dreamed A Dream' As the bear licks his /her lips.

After this has been viewed a couple of million times, people will understand that Bears do like to eat and people food is a real treat, unless of course it's curried tofu and will then take more care.

Ea.