Dutch Over recommendations....?

We are looking to purchase 3 new 12" DO's for the Troop. We have bought Lodge in the past, so looking at the "Lodge Logic Boy Scout Camp Dutch Oven". Does anyone one have this one?

Has anyone had experience with "Camp Chef"? I'm looking at the Deluxe model with feet on the lid so it can be used as a skillet. I found it for $34 online, which seem like a good price... or not?

Other brands I should look at?

Thanks!!!

I've got two Lodge ovens and love them both. It's the gold standard and I don't think you can go wrong. Lodge has outlet stores here and there. You may look for them.

While I hear what le V's saying about a $10 D.O., there's also something to be said for having everything match.

I'd also suggest looking a one 14" oven. I have one and it's great. I can put two small roasters in it with lots of veggies and feed a crowd.

Thanks for the input & recommendations.

I agree about Lodge products... I have a 14" myself and take it on all out campouts. Nevertheless, a Scout is thrifty... when I see that I could buy three of those Camp Chef DOs for the price of one Lodge, I gotta stop and think...

I've found some good deals on new Lodge DOs on ebay as well. I paid less for a 12" unseasoned including shipping (and shipping is pricy on cast iron) than I paid at retail for my 10". Yeah, I had to season it, but that's no big deal.

I love my cast iron, though my favorite piece is my 9" "cornbread" pan.

LODGE seems to distribute the heat better than others. I have a knock-off griddle that doesn't heat up worth a darn. On the other hand, my LODGE dutch oven is an absolute favorite. You can sometimes find at yard sales, Goodwill, or a retiring Scout leader. There is also an outlet store on the GA, AL, TN border in South Pittsburg, TN.

Has anyone had specific experience with the "Camp Chef Deluxe Dutch Oven"? This is the one with the little feet on the lid so it can be flipped over and used as a skillet?

Thanks!!!

A couple of years ago, I was in Harbour Frieght store.. browsing and killing time before meeting someone nearby.. and found 12" DO for approx $10 each. True they were no name and had to be seasoned, but it allowed me to one for each patrol that were all the same for a price that was in troop's budget. Oh yeah, I picked up one for me too, since my footed one had gone missing during a divorce. It only took a couple of evenings with the gas grill to get them all seasoned and ready to use. It does make it easier that all the patrols use the same size (12"). The boys can easily figure food amounts and cooking times even if they change patrols, or camp with a different patrol.

I use Lodge dutch ovens, however, I've seen other troops use the camp chef versions with no complaints, and they looked pretty comparable to me. I'd be concerned if the cost was really 3:1 it may be a lower grade oven or product line.

Hi folx,

My first post on these forums.

I agree that Lodge is the gold standard. FWIW, a couple of years ago I purchased six 12" and one 14" Camp Chef DO's for our troop. Concerns we had were fit and finish for the price we paid (free shipping tipped the scales to "must buy"). On arrival, we determined that they really needed to be properly seasoned (they were "pre-seasoned" but...). The lids do fit well enough but the walls seem a shade thinner than Lodge DO's, and the finish isn't quite as smooth. None of the ovens were ordered with "feet on the lid".

We could not be more pleased with these ovens. Once they were properly seasoned we found they work just as well as the two Lodge DO's we had in the inventory. Based on our experience I would recommend the Camp Chef DO, in fact because of this positive experience I now have my own 12" Camp Chef DO. YMMV.

Greetings Slack-jawed Troglodyte! Welcome to the campfire!

Thanks for the Camp Chef info. The Scouts like the idea of the feet, and so we'll give them a try. I'll report back by and by as to how they work.

Just back from a week-end camping trip, and the two Lodge ovens were in constant use. The Scouts are really excited about each Patrol getting its own DO!

I like the Camp Chef. The feet are fine if you are using it as a griddle, but I'd rather have a real frying pan. The thing I like most is the slot to insert a thermometer into the oven. No more guessing if it is done and opening the oven to check. The thing I don't like if the amount of lid decoration. It takes a bit more work to clean and oil.