Our troop has "lost" the skill (art) of using patrol tarps. We are looking for simple options for "car" camping.

We are right now focused on a simple design, with a rectangular tarp and 2 poles (fold a sheet of paper in half length-ways, and imagine a pole at the peak of each end, the sides are staked out without poles). Do you get the idea?

We tried the cheap extendable poles, and will not go that route again. Absolute waste of money and effort. We cleaned out QM closet this weekend and found several sets of poles which are older but very functional (8' height). Eureka makes a good tarp/dining fly (12'x12' Timberline), as does Snow Peak, but we really want to keep the cost down (and these are more than we are willing to pay). We also looked at some canvas tarps, but at 16oz/sq-yd, this serious overkill. We can go with the poly material, but we would perfer some lightweigth nylon or cloth.

Our patrols each have a box which doubles as a stove stand, and we use 1 2x4 picnic table for every 4 scouts. With about 6-8 per patrol, this means 2 tables (8' length) plus the stove table/patrol box. With room to keep dry under the ends I see this as a minumum of 14', but this seems too big to me to practically use 2 poles.

Ultimately, we want to leave this up to the patrols. This weekend is a campout, our first with the crossover scouts. Our weather will be excellent, but we will have the chance to experiment with a few options, so we would like to have some ideas available for them to try and decide upon.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

At 14', you really should have a ridge pole, or center pole of some kind.

If you can find a cheap, lightweight, waterproof fabric to use, consder using PVC poles. You can get connecters for the pipe, so you can use 2-7'er's for the ends, 1-7'er for the center, and 2-7'er's for the ridge, and 3 connecters. Or, depending on what you can find in your area, instead of 1-7', use 2-3.5' with a connecter in the middle. this would have it break down into a smaller package.

It would be easy, relatively lightweight, and might all fit in an old pole bag.

Just something to think about...

We are currently using the big blue poly tarps, sold at Home Depot or Wal-Mart. They are durable and big, but a little on the heavy side. The Scouts run a ridge line between two trees and pull out the corners.

In an effort to go smaller and lighter, I would like to experiment with one of these tarps:

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/rainfly3x4.html

It is 13' x 9'9" (4 x 3 meters) and weighs 2.2 lbs. made of waterproof, ripstop nylon. Cost is $60, delivered. These could even be used on backpacking trips, at that size and weight. The Scouts would have to be a little more careful with them, probably. I have one of their hammocks, and I'm impressed with the quality. They ship from overseas, so delivery takes about a week or so.

Have you considered using DuPont Tyvek Housewrap or equivalent? This is the material builders use to wrap and weatherproof new home construction on top of wood sheathing and beneath brick or vinyl exterior siding.

It's very lightweight, waterproof, and you might be able to get it free or at reduced cost from a neighborhood builder if they know you are a Boy Scout unit.

Good luck!

Good suggestions. We do use ScoutDirect/Alps Mountaineering. In fact, I just found out 5 minutes ago that our 10 new troop tents arrived this morning (Yea, just in time for the weekend campout!). I did see the dining fly/shelter, however, I could not find a regular tarp.

I did like the mosquito hammock fly. I do not know if that is really the size we want or not. We will see.

At this weekend's campout, we will be taking all our poly tarps and may will try to rig different set-ups to see what works, and what size we may end up seeking.

• 2 weeks later...

Our weekend went well, and we did work with a generic poly tarp, 8x11. It was ok, but was not what we wanted (we knew this before we got started, but setting it up did give us a good starting perspective.

We are now looking at the 12x12 Kelty Noah's Tarp. Two high poles on the corners (ends) and one tie down on each side (other corners). with 17' on the another and maybe two low poles on the other corners. This design gives 17' across the diagonal, but of course tapers the coverage on the ends.

The troop had a $100 gift card from Cabela's, so we ordered one to try out. Anything the group can offer on these is always welcome....

Might want to check the Philmont site. They often have used equipment for sale that is in pretty good shape at decent prices. The troop that I serve bought 5 of the 12 by 12 patrol tarps and have been using them as patrol tarps for the last 4 years and they have worked out pretty well. We have similar room requirements but without the tables.

yis

red feather

In college, I worked on an experiment and had to buy several yards of nylon from a simple fabric store. Once the experiment was over, I had an idea, and bought a waterproof treatment for the nylon, and used it as a simple tarp. You may be able to do the same.

However, isn't one of the problems with a "simple" tarp idea of minimal poles and a few tie downs that they are not very functional in strong winds? This is when our Scouts want to be in a tarp shelter, especially if it's not Summer, as it can be considerably colder.