anyone recommend a daypack for a large guy?

We are planning a few day hikes this year, and I have never found that "one great daypack" that works for me. I have tried the walmart type book bags, but they are very uncomfortable. I am a large guy (approx 38-40" waist) and would like to find a daypack that has a hip belt or a front clip that would keep the bag from slipping off my shoulders. Does anyone know of a pack that might do the trick? I've shopped online, but I'm kind of nervous about buying something blind and would love to see what other have used. Thanks for any info you can give. Mike

Dear Cad-guy, as someone who has a waist that fluctuates with the seasons betwen 38 and 42, I have found the Dakine brand "Poacher" snowboarding/daypack to be perfect. Waistbelt, sternun strap, and a built in insulated compartment for one of those water bladder thingies, plus nice soft foam back cushioning. The drawback was the price, around $125 I think, (although I did buy it from the Appalachian Mountain Club store-to support AMC, ya know?) I find it has been money well spent for the comfort.

Visit campmor.com and look at Kelty's Redwing. The pack has been around for a long time and has a removable waist belt and sternum strap. One of the versions of this pack is now on sale for $61. It is a little bigger than a regular day pack and is sometimes called a day and half pack because if you are an ultra-light packer you could get everything for a weekend into it. My son has a North Face Recon pack, used daily, and loves it but I didn't see it for sale at Campmor's website.

Go to scoutdirect.com and register for the 45% scout discount and the $89 gets cut down quite a bit. I have been very happy with the AlpMountaineering gear that I have purchased and with their support. Great deals. Sometimes you can get an even better deal with the sample sales that they have (sales staff demo products).

I was doing a similar search about a year ago -- and I was specifically looking for one with a hydration bladder, and clips to hold the hose. On the larger side, about 2000 cu in, and a good waist belt and sternum strap. I too was frustrated after using ill-fitting daypacks for years, with inadequate waist belts. Needed a longer torso and a larger waist belt, in general.

So I settled on a CamelBak Alpine Explorer, which I bought from Campmor:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___67739

The Kelty Redwing was my second choice, but I was looking for something a bit smaller:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___43115

Guy

• 2 months later...

My favorite Day Pack is a North Face Kletter. Had mine for about 7 years and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. It's a great, huge, single compartment ruck with a top pocket flap. Plenty of tie down points, two ice axe/trekking pole loops, nice padded shoulder pads, unpadded waist belt, chest strap. Indestructable ruck! Lots and lots of trail miles, used during bike hikes, climbing, spent a year in Korea wearing it daily. I'll be very upset whenit finally wears out or has tobe retired.