Our troop is ordering several ALPS Cascade backpacks for our scouts. We ordered one in advance and fitted it to several scouts. For most, we ordered a small belt (they can grow into the medium as they age). Can anyone comment on these packs? Any quirks, concerns or tricks to fitting them well?

Buffalo,

I wish I could tell you more. A good number of our scouts and crew members have purchased and used Alps backpacks for Philmont, the Pecos Wilderness and other backpacking trips in various places. Our SM is a gear aficionado and has recommended their gear to the boys and girls. I have never really heard any complaints about them and they have proven to be decent gear at a decent value. One of the things they liked was that the hip belt was removable and replacable and, they had an attached rain cover and the top part came off and made a day pack.

I do not have experience with that particular backpack. But for the past several years I have bought as much ALPS gear as I can. The Taurus tents have withstood some pretty good storms with no water inside. The sleeping bags keep everyone warm to the rated temperature.

While their gear may not be high tech, or ultralight, it does what they say it will do. And it does it at a price Scouts can afford through www.scoutdirect.com.

I can not say enough about ALPS and everyone that works there. They are family run and everybody understands customer service. I would be comfortable buying any of their gear!