We generally operate in an area in which black bear sightings are big news, and fairly rare (in 35 years of scouting, I have never heard of an encounter between a bear and scout in our area).

In spite of that, we do sometimes forray into more populated bear country, and I would like to pick up one myself.

What brand or style of bear cans do you use with your troops? What are their pros and cons? Any and all feedback is welcome.

I have a Bear Vault, got it from REI. I like it because its clear and I can see what's there for easy hunting and pecking. They are a little larger than the Garcia and it doesn't have the sloped sides which I think helps when you are packing a weeks worth of food. ( The sloped sides keep the Garcia from rolling away if tipped over. )

I've had it for 5+ years now but its never been tested. ( At least not tested by a bear, its been tested by my son digging thru MY food because he saw something he liked - another disadvantage to the clear plastic ;-) )

I take it whether we go into bear country or not - it keeps the mini-bears ( squirrels, chipmunks, raccoons ) out of your food also.

Some National parks have bear vault requirements. Not just in their use but in which models are approved. Seems in some parks, the bears have figured out how to open certain brands up. Always check before going. You might check now and purchase the one approved in most places.

You put your food in them, seal them up, and lay them some 100 yards from camp or so. Hopefully, in the morning, it's still around there somewhere.

Attaching stuff to trees gives bears leverage to bash things open.

Regarding the tasty morsels in the tents, backpacking in bear country is why scouts absolutely must adhere to the "no food in tent" rule. Just as important as the no flame in tent.... If they stay in numbers, that helps keep bears away also.

Ok that make sense. The bear could bat it around and losing it is a possibility.

Far as raccons and such rubber made with a couple of logs and a ratchet strap keep them out of the food.

Bears are making a come back in the Buckeye state as well. Bears have been seen in a the area of a couple of the camps which is a little worrisome. Sooo, I am a believer of an ounce of prevention.

No, we don't secure it to the ground, we try to locate a low lying area so it doesn't roll away should it get swatted around.

Depending on the length of the trip, yes, each scout needs his own.

Yosemite REQUIRES bear canisters in 90% of the park. Its illegal to hang food there now. Some backcountry campsites have steel lockers cemented into the ground. The NPS website has a list of approved containers.

Bears in CA are a nuisance, not really a danger issue. Yes, they are aggressive about trying to get your food, but if you follow the rules ( bear vault, no food in tents ) you won't have a problem.

We've found that bear activity is highest in the more popular backcountry campsites, which makes sense, so we tend to stay away from those locations and find more remote campsites. Coupla years ago we did a 6 day trek thru Yosemite and didn't see a single bear.

I bought 2 full-size Bear Vaults, and my son and I used them out in Yellowstone back in 2004 on our high-adventure trip. They worked great for us. IMO, if you hold them between your feet and twist the lids counterclockwise, they're not too hard for a human being to open. I don't believe that a bear could figure out how to open them. They make a good seat, too, plenty big and high enough to sit comfortably.

I use the Garcia, not the Vault:

Vault:

+ Clear, so you know which one to open.

+ Wide mouth top is easier to reach into.

+ Twist off top, no scrambling for a quarter or a flat head screwdriver on your knife

- That twist off top can misthread, and in cold weather is a little more work with.

- Round barrel rolls away easier.

Garcia:

+ Odd shape, does not roll very far.

+ The "use a quarter to open" mechanism is easier in the cold.

- Black can MUST go inside your pack, and packs a bit unevenly.

- No clue what is in there until you open it.

- Gotta keep your scout knife handy to open it.

I think it is a toss-up regarding which is "better." I can sit on both of them at 5'10 and 200 pounds. I usually sit on the ground and use one as my table on the trail.