While this topic may be appropriate for the uniform forum, I decided to post it here.

While there are some "official" and what I call "semi-official" jackets available for wear with Scouting uniforms, the Insignia Guide says the are optional. While the jackets available from the Scout shop such as the Jac-Shirt, and other jackets may be ok for wear at activities such as meetings, I don't think that they may be suitable for outdoor/high adventure type activities.

Cool, cold, and wet whether may cause jackets to be more than optional.

I think that for most Scouting situations, most people just wear what they have when it comes to jackets. And some of those that I have seen, are not really all that appropriate for outdoor activity wear in Scouting.

I would like know what you all wear for jackets with your Scouting uniforms:

I have a red Jac-Shirt and one other "official" jacket, I really don't care for them. To me, they just are not very practical for most outdoor activity wear.

Instead, I have chosen to get other jackets that can be part of a layering system. My primary jacket system consists of a hooded outer jacket made of olive green soft nylon microfiber that I have increased the waterproofness of by keeping it treated with a comercial fabric treatment. I also hae an olive green fleece jacket (no hood) that can be worn either as a separate jacket or under the hooded outer jacket. Together, they only cost be about $40. This system seems to serve me well, in my area, most of the time, for most cool/cold/wet weather. This is the jacket system that I most frequently use.

I also always carry lighweight nylon poncho and a lightweight nylon rainsuit when camping, backpacking, etc. I don't like to be cold or wet.

Also, I recently added a "system" type jacket to my outdoor wardrobe that is a combination forest green nylon jacket with a removable fleece liner. They can be worn together or separately. The nylon jacket has a hide-away hood that rolls up inside the collar. Cost about $40. Again, I increase the waterproofness of the nylon outer jacket with a commerical fabric treatment. This combination jacket is warmer in colder weather than my other system so I keep it available in cold weather.

I can always (and have) augment these with thermal underwear, sweat shirts and pants, nylon over pants, etc. I think everyone should carry a sweatshirt and sweatpants when camping, etc. They are lightweight and very versatile.

The nice thing about layer is that it does work well, and gives you various options.

I know that there are very high end jackets out there, but to me are very cost prohibitive.

What types of jackets do you all wear for Scouting?

Thanks.

The answers will probably be dependent on your local weather. In North Carolina typical winter temps are 35-50. We have one week in the teens or 20s. We get 1 inch of snow every third year.

I had a red wood shirt jacket as a boy. I did not like the fact that it did not stop the wind. I deemed it completely ineffective.

I now use a layereing system. Polypro or wool-polypro blend long underwear, synthetic T-shirt, poly cotton blend long sleeve shirt, fleece vest and/or jacket, wind breaker or rain jacket.

Poly long johns are black, Wool-poly long johns are ash gray, T-shirts are uniform tan, long sleeve uniform shirt, vest, jacket, and wind breaker are shades of dark green. This combination packs small, and allows for adding and subtracting layers. Most of the time it is adequate.

The wool jack shirt is based on a traditional wool hunting shirt. Very warm and even keeps you warm if wet. I wear it camping but not hiking. For hiking, I have a rain jacket for wind/heavy rain, for warmth I wear a wooly-pully. Under that, if I need the extra layer, I wear a turtleneck.

If it is really cold, out comes the old field jacket with a wool sweater under it.

Jacket? for those days that it is real cold here in Florida we always buy our uniform shirts one size too big so that one may wear a long sleeve T-shirt under it some of you folks up north know it as a long john shirt or if really cold a sweat shirt. Please note that you only wear the sweat shirt if you absolutely must be sweating by noon.

I'm an ASM in the upper midwest, and for my son (Life) and daughter (GS Cadet) we've found that the layered breathable shell with the zip-in fleece liner to be the best combination. LL Bean had a great model, though this year we went with the Lands End version due to cost and available size issues.

The fleece liner can be used separately, but can also be attached by zippers on each side of the main zipper, a loop clip at the back of the neck, and loop clips at the end of each sleeve - to keep the liner in when pulling their arms out.

I have a 15 year old Columbia Bugaboo jacket I wear to meetings and everywhere else when it is sufficiently cold - it is a two part system and I wear the fleece "a lot" - to include right now.

For hiking I substitute a much thinner shell with roll away hood I had custom made in Korea, which purports to be Gore-tex and works very well whether it is or not. It gets paired with the fleece when it's going to be really cold. Other wise I use the "Korea" shell in combination with other lighter layering options. And when hiking it's also paired with unofficial unapproved head gear 'cause I don't know of any approved head gear that will do the job when it's cold outside - why no approved (knit)watch cap?(This message has been edited by Gunny2862)

I like the issue wool watch cap too. :)

But most often use a Columbia fleece hat that has a roll down ear cover and a strap.

It's great for sleep wear too. No head sticking out of the bag and getting cold.

As an additional benefit it drives my son crazy when I wear it in public. ;)(This message has been edited by Gunny2862)

"As an additional benefit it drives my son crazy when I wear it in public."

ROTFLMAO!

I'm trying to find one of the old winter billed caps with the fold down ear flaps that BSA offered in the 50s and 60s. Unfortunately, every one that I find is sized to fit a tiny person. :-(

(This message has been edited by Gold Winger)

My attire usually doesn't embarass my son but my dancing on the tables in the dining hall at summer camp does. Also when I pick him up and carry him around upside down, he's 17 and 6'1" tall. I only do that when he gives me some grief in public but it always amuses the bystanders. I suppose that could be considered hazing.