I guess the knife debate is over

I was reading an old outdoor book the other day and and it mentioned that there is a strong debate on whether a pocket knife's blade should be carbon steel or a stainless steel. The writer went on to say that the carbon steel blade people prefer this type because it holds an edge better and can be sharpened in the field. The SS people like the convenience of no rust.

Well after 25 years the debate seems settled. Any look at what is offered by Wal-Mart or even Cabelas and the 99% are SS blades for pocket knives.

I carry a SS blade pocket knife and have for years.

(This message has been edited by Mafaking)

Current pocket carry blade is Carbon Steel alloy with a Titanium nitride coating. :)

The edge will rust (except that I use it enough that I sharpen it all the time anyway)and so will the blade (pit)wherever the coating gets nicked away. I think it is the best of both worlds.

If I lived near the ocean, or somewhere more humid than here, I would probably transition to SS only for daily pocket carry.

For military work I liked what ever I could find that I could use and abuse in ways that would tear up any "normal" knife - In this context the carbon steel K-Bar is still the king(IMHO), my stainless K-bar LMF was nice but just doesn't measure up - it was prettier, but I was afraid to do things with it that I routinely did with the carbon version. Which means the SS version usually got left behind.

Its not really that simple. There are not just two kinds of steel: Carbon & SS. In fact - and I am by no means any kind of expert - there are many many different kinds of steels used in knives.

Some of the modern rust-resistant high carbon steels are fantastic, such as the S30V. I've carried that steel for quite a few years now and love it. Easy enough to sharpen (I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker), keeps a wonderful edge for a long long time, and is indeed rust resistant enough for my needs.

Here are some nice summaries of knife blade steel:

http://users.ameritech.net/knives/steels.htm

http://www.knifeart.com/steelfaqbyjo.html

Actually I used that site when I bought my last knife. I have an AST 34 blade and although it takes a little longer to sharpen ii holds an edge twice as long as my previous knife (non descript SS blade)

I just thought it was interesting that in 1982 the market hadn't yet decided and now it seems to have settled on SS blades. I should compare with a current general purpose outdoor handbook and see if it even mentions the great blade debate.

I have and use both. Stainless is nice if you don't need to hold an edge as long but need the corrosion resistance. But I also really like a blade that can attain a really sharp edge and then hold it, realizing that there's a trade-off - I need to be careful to prevent rust or corrosion.

My sentimental favorite is still Kabar. Alas, hard to find. But For stainless I choose whatever is most cost-effective.

I enjoy the look on my students' faces when I whip out the blade (either one) and shave some hair off my arm just before cutting a rope like it's butter.

But I add that I have demonstrated empirically that both are really good at cutting fingers and hands. ;)

Always need to be careful. :)

"I just thought it was interesting that in 1982 the market hadn't yet decided and now it seems to have settled on SS blades. I should compare with a current general purpose outdoor handbook and see if it even mentions the great blade debate."

In 1982 most pocket knives already were stainless and the debate continues among in the user community today.

• 2 months later...

I carry a large rigging knife. It has a straight blade, marlin spike, shackle key, and a can opener. I don't think I could ever switch to another style of knife.  The straight blade is excellent for cutting line (rope for you landlubbers), and the locking marlinspike is a uniquely useful tool. 

More to the point, it is made of 316L grade stainless steel, which is great for corrosion resistance in a saltwater environment, but dulls very quickly, as it is soft. I have to resharpen this blade after every campout. I would prefer to have one with a harder steel, but I have been unable to locate one.