The other night, the patrols pulled out their chuck boxes. One patrol had a shiny, new coffee pot. I asked the scout if they were big coffee drinkers in his patrol. He said no, and then couldn't offer any reason for them to have the coffee pot.

Is there some use for a camping coffee pot other than making coffee? boiling water can be done in any of the pots they had. I don't have anything against them having it either, but as a life long sponge, I'd like to know what other use it could have.

Ours do the same as mikecummings157's, they use it to heat water for hot chocolate, oatmeal, other cook prep, etc., rather than an open pot, safer easier to pour, heats faster, with less heat(fuel) waste.

If trailer camping we adults have a nice Coleman drip pot. If backpacking, the teabag coffee in your camp cup isn't as bad as dipping the grounds... BTDT2. :)

A few years ago, one of our patrols would regularly make coffee in the morning. These kids were 14+ years old and would normally drink a caffeine-laden soft drink in the morning, but since the troop didn't allow those on campouts, they made do with coffee. I remember them complaining about the grounds so I showed how to make bear scat coffee.