Gunny, I've seen lots of white gas stove and lantern problems. After all they are mechanical devices that are used by folks who don't use them everyday, don't read instructions, etc. I think I know how to field repair most backpacking stoves (not gas lanterns - haven't figured out a use for them in the outdoors so I have no experience fixing them). When things go wrong with any of them (liquid or gas cannister) they do cause spectacular incidents and you do need to move quickly. Training of adults and supervision by same in a kid program is pretty important. Beaver is wrong about council camping programs; a council can prohibit gas stoves and lanterns if it decides to. National council allows it but a local council could prohibit, I've been on a large council camping committee for a long time and teach at camp school and a local could "exceed" a policy. Local council policy could prohibit the use of rifles at camp if it wanted to, national wouldn't force them to have a rifle shooting program. However, if National says automatic rifles are not to be used the local council can't do that program.