The lightest 3-season synthetic sleeping bag

Question to you vetrans...what is the lightest 3-season synthetic sleeping bag you can think of AND have experiance with?

I am looking for one that will last (not too worried about price).

My preference would be one with a full length zipper since I typically get hot...but want one rated between 0 and 15 deg. for cold nights.

Please help...there are TONS of bags on the internet and I don't know which to choose. (I've been looking at www.campmor.com and www.rei.com)

KY_Scouter,

I have a fairly light-weight Coleman Exponent mummy bag I like (weighs about 5 pounds and cost around $75.00 new 6 years ago), but it's only rated down to about 20 degrees F. If I need more warmth than that, I usually insert a fleece liner which gets its temperature rating down to about 10 degrees F. I've also heard very good reports on the light-weight Slumberjack models, too. If you'll be backpacking, make sure to get one that compresses down really small with a compression sack.

Good Luck!

When looking at sleeping bags be sure to "try" them on before buying. I know it sounds goofy but there is no standard for measuring the length and width. If you can't zip it closed when you're inside or it somehow doesn't fit look at another bag - there are wide variations in shape also. Also be aware that temp ratings are based on: being out of the wind, sleeping on insulated ground pad, wearing a layer of clothes. And some folks sleep cold, some can't stand the hood of a mummy. The most efficient shape is the mummy (your body isn't heating up the dead space in a rectangular bag. When you say 3 season be careful; some folks would call a 0-15 degree bag a winter bag. I always tell folks to lay on the floor at a retailer and try them on and that if you camp year around you need more than 1 bag. How many?, how many jackets and weights of jackets do you own?

Personal preference is the #1 rating of sleeping bags. Everyone is different, sizes vary from one company to the next, degree ratings are arbitrary at best and the only way one can know what works for themselves is to try it out.

I have a Kelty 0-degree bag. At zero degrees I need a wool blanket lining to work for me. I have used NorthFace -24 degree bags that are excellent at zero degrees.

I find that I can take colder temperatures at night if I wear a cheap wool stocking cap and wool socks. In cold weather the pad is often times more important than the sleeping bag. Cots are no good in cold weather without an insulation pad.

Poly-lined wool long-johns goes a long way to compensate for having to add a fleece lining.

There are a lot of variables that will play into your choices and in the end, only your opinion really counts.

Stosh

• 7 months later...

I'm a huge fan of the North Face Cat's Meow 20 degree bag and or the Mountain Hardware Switch 20 bag. Great for 3 seasons, I've had my Cat's Meow down into the low teens numerous times and been comfortable, but that was really pushing the limits. Anything above 20 it was great....