all, I am new to online forums so I appologize if I am in the wrong place for this question.

I saw some old threads regarding canoe trailers, which promted me to sign up for the forum.

I have a single 16' canoe and am looking for a trailer to transport it along with a 50qt ice chest and a gear box. I have envisioned a trailer with the cone on top in an upside down configuration and all the gear stowed below it. Also the trailer needs to be a maximum of 48" wide for the location that I have to store it.

Does anyone know where I can purchase something like this or even buy a set of plans to build something like this. thanks in advance.

Go to Lowes/Home Depot or any place that sells small trailers. Find a small open flatbed cargo trailer that has the size trailer bed you want. The only thing you need to do is extend the trailer toungue, which a local welder can do easily, then build a frame to hold canoe that is removable so you can use the trailer for normal stuff other wise.

You can make a frame out of 2x4's bolted together.

jlucas77,

gosh I hope you have deep pockets...or good welding skills!

a single boat trail will cost you @ $800-$2,000 depending on material and features. A quick look at some of my old research (I bought an eight boat trailer with gear carrier) shows there maybe another fly in the ointment...width of the trailer.

You mentioned 48 inches wide...the smallest I found was 53/54 inches wide. Most were 56-60 inches wide...almost none had a gear carrier box...

Not being an engineer I am not sure if it is a stablity issue or simply one of using industry standard high speed axles (highway rated). Most folks build trailers 48 inches (+/-) between the wheels (for stuff like plywood)...

check out the net-lots of offers,but you might have to build it yourself...good luck

anarchist

all,

thanks for the input, i never really thought about it but getting a regular flat bed trailer seems like the thing to do sowhat if the canoe overhangs a foot or two on either end right.

thanks for the insight though