Anyone here use a hammock + tarp when backpacking?

I can see two reasons for philmont to do this. The first is that many campers will not use tree hugger straps and will damage the trees by tying bare ropes to them.

The second is that you must often position your tents to discourage the local bear and other wildlife population. Hammock campers often must be separated due to locations of suitable trees for hammock use. When we went to Philmont in 2005, the ranger taught us to clump the tents together so a bear would percieve them as being a big massive thing, to be avoided. Not going to happen with a hammock camper.

• 8 months later...

Hammocks and trails don't mix for me. Great for a nap or short lounging session, but to sleep, I'm on the ground on my side or belly. As a kid on a 50miler along the Appalachian Trail in 1975 I took a hammock and after trying to get good sleep for 2-3 nights I gave up on the hammock and went back to the ground. I will not carry one, although my fellow SM and ASM in our troop both carry a tarp and hammock and like them, cold weather and all. They will not be taking them to Philmont with us this summer, but want to....

I haven't tried them myself, yet. But AM interested.

Tree hugger type straps would seem to be a necessity.

I've seen hiking pole setups but am very doubtful about whether they work except for modifying the hammock into a tarp tent type setup.

I have seen bringing a center pole and a outlier poles and putting them up in a spoke and wheel arrangement for up to eight hammocks that looked REAlly cool - but With carrying the poles (they were pretty stout - the Broomstick hiking staffs might work?)it didn't look like there was a weight savings for that set up unless it was something like the staff and you were already going to be carrying it.

bmcdonald:

I too am a side/belly sleeper; can rarely sleep on my back. That said, my Hennessey Hammock is the best sleep I have had while outdoors. The asymmetrical design allows side sleeping if you lay on it diagonally. Very comfortable. The biggest adjustment is the matter of space. It is hard to change clothes in a hammock.

I really enjoy the weight savings over carrying a tent (or even half a tent) and a sleeping pad. Sets up very fast, even in the rain. I only use it in warmer weather (tomorrow will be the first time this year) but it is drier and more comfortable than a tent.

bmcdonald:

I too am a side/belly sleeper; can rarely sleep on my back. That said, my Hennessey Hammock is the best sleep I have had while outdoors. The asymmetrical design allows side sleeping if you lay on it diagonally. Very comfortable. The biggest adjustment is the matter of space. It is hard to change clothes in a hammock.

I really enjoy the weight savings over carrying a tent (or even half a tent) and a sleeping pad. Sets up very fast, even in the rain. I only use it in warmer weather (tomorrow will be the first time this year) but it is drier and more comfortable than a tent.

I slept in an Army surplus jungle hammock for 3-4 years on paddling trips. They aren't the lightest, but this was car camping with boats. I used two dowels to spread the intergrated rain fly, and just rolled the whole thing up. After I got the cords adjusted to length the first time, it was simple and fast to put up and strike.

To keep my back comfortable, I'd put a rolled up lifejacket under my knees.

From a security stand-point, I'm not sure I'd use one today. You're very exposed hanging in the air asleep. Un-zipping the mosquito net and ducking to roll out is neither swift not graceful.

Me and two other adults are now using hammocks. One uses a Hennesy, I don't know the brand of the other, and I use the Mosquito Hammock - http://www.mosquitohammock.com/ I use the Expedition Hammock, which has a "sleeve" in the bottom for a sleeping pad (I use a thermarest inflatable). I'm also a side sleeper, and I find the hammock very comfortable. We had a nice night out this past weekend camping, and I slept in the hammock under the stars. I haven't seen that many shooting stars in a long time!